U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 07:39 PM

6,062 posts, read 10,328,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
^Interesting.... Curious why he choose adobe? Adobe is really only ideally suited for dry climates, pretty much the exact opposite of the S.E. Also Adobe usually only makes sense when your making the adobe bricks on site with the right clay/sand/soil mixture. To ship up an adobe house or a bunch of adobe bricks on a barge seems weird and costly and doesn't seem like it would perform good. But hopefully your friend has it all figured out and will succeed in his adventure.

I toy around with using "earth bag" construction to build a round house/cabin remotely. I would then sprayfoam insulate the outside of the bags, locking them together and giving me insulated thermal mass and 12+ inch thick walls. And they can fit on a plane/boat/four wheeler/ etc for easy hauling to the site. Then use on site fill to fill and tamp the bags into place. It's definitely one of the easier and cheaper ways to build a place remotely vs hauling a bunch of standard lumber in.
Probably not Adobe.

Pan Abode Cedar Homes, Custom Cedar Homes and Cabin Kits Designed and Shipped Worldwide : Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 08:01 PM

1,930 posts, read 1,514,817 times
Ahh, that makes a lot more sense . I was picturing adobe mud bricks being shipped up and was really confused.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:22 PM

145 posts, read 91,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't know if you're a member of Alaska Harvesters, but there's been quite the drama there recently because a guy named Austin wants to start a farm in the Denali area and live in an Earthship. He was asking for "tribesmen" to help him pick out his land and "show him their ways." The last I saw, he was ranting about white people and blah blah blah, and not seeming to realize that Alaska Natives are.not.farmers.and.never.were. He was calling people ignorant pigs who weren't giving him the answers that he wanted. I'm not sure if it's still there -- he either blocked me, or his posts got removed.
LOL, I'll join just to read that thread.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:24 PM

6,062 posts, read 10,328,697 times
Quote:
Ahh, that makes a lot more sense . I was picturing adobe mud bricks being shipped up and was really confused.
Quite a few people use the Pan Abode kits in Alaska.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:09 AM

1,930 posts, read 1,514,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Quite a few people use the Pan Abode kits in Alaska.
Learn something new everyday. I couldn't load any prices on their website with my slow internet, but I don't see the appeal. Why not just buy lumber and build yourself? They look fairly pricey from the pictures, but maybe there are some good deals?

An option to think about. If you are just planning on visiting the remote land from time to time and not planning on living on it, you may come out ahead buying a nice wall tent or other portable structure. You can camp anywhere on state land for 14 days at a time (or longer). You could buy a nice tent and all the toys to access it and have a sweet spot/view for cheaper than you could buy the land. You could camp in sweet spots that would otherwise never be for sale. Obviously it doesn't have the same intristic value as "owning" your own piece of land would. At least you'd have many options and not be "married" to just one spot. Pros and cons to both.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:21 AM

167 posts, read 174,753 times
It is a pan abode home--my fingers got ahead of my brain yesterday!

Old Today, 07:45 AM

1,736 posts, read 697,190 times
Quote:
Learn something new everyday. I couldn't load any prices on their website with my slow internet, but I don't see the appeal. Why not just buy lumber and build yourself? They look fairly pricey from the pictures, but maybe there are some good deals?.
Yes, quite pricey. The appeal is that they're pre cut, well designed and very attractive cedar kit homes.

Reduces transportation and labor costs, plus they look a helluva lot better than anything the average Joe could slap up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: