U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 09:46 PM

1,451 posts, read 809,952 times

Advertisements

Wife doesn't know it, but I have slowly been putting a little bit of money aside so that I can one day buy some land. Well guess what?!?

No...I didn't buy some land yet, but there have been a few parcels planted in my ear.

One of them has road access after arriving into our local hub, kind of. It is off a non-maintained road, and it is almost too good to pass up, until reality sets in. This piece of property is right at $1k per acre and is on a solid piece of property that has trees and tundra. It is close to one of my favorite locations in the state (Nunavaugaluk Lake) but it would pretty much be a strictly winter location, if there is snow and solid ice. Otherwise, I might be able to access it. No thanks.

Another parcel was mentioned, and if I can work on the price it might be available, and this would strictly be a summer and fall location. Access would be to risky in spring and possibly winter.

I am going to attempt to get boots on the harder to access property once break up is over (going to take some 4 wheelers out) and once the ice is out of the lake, I will hit the other spot.

I say this, to let you know, that despite the fact that I live in the hub where these parcels are, getting there is still a challenge, and there is no way, I would buy it (no matter what the cost is) before setting foot on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 10:28 PM

18,832 posts, read 24,079,531 times
I don't know if you're a member of Alaska Harvesters, but there's been quite the drama there recently because a guy named Austin wants to start a farm in the Denali area and live in an Earthship. He was asking for "tribesmen" to help him pick out his land and "show him their ways." The last I saw, he was ranting about white people and blah blah blah, and not seeming to realize that Alaska Natives are.not.farmers.and.never.were. He was calling people ignorant pigs who weren't giving him the answers that he wanted. I'm not sure if it's still there -- he either blocked me, or his posts got removed.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't know if you're a member of Alaska Harvesters, but there's been quite the drama there recently because a guy named Austin wants to start a farm in the Denali area and live in an Earthship. He was asking for "tribesmen" to help him pick out his land and "show him their ways." The last I saw, he was ranting about white people and blah blah blah, and not seeming to realize that Alaska Natives are.not.farmers.and.never.were. He was calling people ignorant pigs who weren't giving him the answers that he wanted. I'm not sure if it's still there -- he either blocked me, or his posts got removed.
Never heard of it.
I can't handle the stupidity, and I'm quite stupid occasionally. Heck, who am I kidding? Often. Quite often.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:58 PM

60 posts, read 18,562 times
I like property that's a little tougher to get to than most. Don't know why and the wife doesn't quite share the same enthusiasm. One thing I always tell people that are considering buying a piece of land is you have to set foot on it first. I'm amazed at the number of people who won't take this advice. The worst excuse is "it will cost too much to come up just to look at it." If you can afford to look at it, you can't afford to own it. Simple really.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:21 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,746,663 times
I browse remote land for sale sometimes...Ok all the time, it's my weakness. Right now I'm not seeing anything that I "have to have". The search continues.

My requirements for my remote land are
- 2 hours max from my front door to the land, preferably closer. A half hour would be real nice.
- Water. Either a lake or river frontage. I already live in the desert don't want more of the same.
- Surrounded by state or federal land with a maximum of one side of the property boundaries shared with another parcel of private property.
-A killer view. No sense being bored out there just looking at some trees. I need at least some mountains in the picture.
-No property taxes. Who wants to pay property taxes on a remote cabin?
-Preferably Trail access, where I can park less than 10 miles away (preferably more like 2) and ride/hike/boat in.
-Affordable. I don't want to pay $150k for your 1970's era rotting moldy shack . I can build a better newer cheaper cabin on a raw piece of land.

With remote land, most all is priced accordingly. Although some people are living in another world with their remote land asking prices. The catch is, the easier it is for you to access, the easier it is for everyone to access.

I look for remote land for sale all the time. The few gems are usually priced accordingly. Hoping I can find that diamond in the rough for a great price nearby. Right now, I'm just loving my land and my general area. Wouldn't pick a different spot for the world.

Last edited by 6.7traveler; 04-11-2017 at 12:40 AM..

Old 04-11-2017, 12:44 AM

The lake I referenced has a few parcels up. I'm just not willing to pay for some of them. It's easily accessed in summer and fall. Views are to die for and the fishing is lacking, which is why it isn't all bought up. Next lake up is phenomenal fishing.

Of course I live here and I don't blame you for having parameters. I'd never buy land that will cost me $1k plus to access every time I want to visit.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:08 AM

183 posts, read 192,585 times
Got a friend who is 20 something years younger than I who bought a 1.6 acre property on an island about 2 nautical miles from town. There are no amenities, just a flat, rock building pad about 20 foot above high tide line. He got it really cheap and an adobe style building is being barged up in a month. He has a way to get the whole container with said building in it(in pieces). This is gonna be real interesting as this progresses! He intends on living in it by the end of June. Guess he is living his dream! Personally I think he is a little nuts--boating to work in S.E. AK. in a 18 ft. skiff is going to be a challenge on bad weather, windy days. The property itself is beautiful, good location and all that. I can get my 22 ft. boat in there no problem but have to zodiac the last 40 yards to get on dry land. There is no beach so to speak, just rock. Generator for power, propane to cook and refrigerate, fresh water, etc...I just don't think he took all its going to take in account. Like I said, its gonna be interesting to see this progress!

Old 04-11-2017, 10:24 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,746,663 times
^Interesting.... Curious why he choose adobe? Adobe is really only ideally suited for dry climates, pretty much the exact opposite of the S.E. Also Adobe usually only makes sense when your making the adobe bricks on site with the right clay/sand/soil mixture. To ship up an adobe house or a bunch of adobe bricks on a barge seems weird and costly and doesn't seem like it would perform good. But hopefully your friend has it all figured out and will succeed in his adventure.

I toy around with using "earth bag" construction to build a round house/cabin remotely. I would then sprayfoam insulate the outside of the bags, locking them together and giving me insulated thermal mass and 12+ inch thick walls. And they can fit on a plane/boat/four wheeler/ etc for easy hauling to the site. Then use on site fill to fill and tamp the bags into place. It's definitely one of the easier and cheaper ways to build a place remotely vs hauling a bunch of standard lumber in.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:52 PM

458 posts, read 537,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I saw the beginning of that thread and knew it was going to go downhill! It was removed and he was banned from the group.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:11 PM

18,832 posts, read 24,079,531 times
I hope that couple who offered him a place to stay think more than twice about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: