U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 04:20 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,075,190 times

Advertisements

While in Alaska, we stayed in Carlo Heights with Kelly Williams for about three days, she gave us a lot of information on dogs in general and the Iditarod specifically. Aside from running a really nice B&B, she was fun to talk with, has a great sence of humor, is intelligent. She spoke openly and freely with us, suggested sights worth the visit, which restaurants to avoid and which actually serve fairly good food. She loaned me her truck and told me where to get a flat tire fixed. Ergo, the times she enters the race, I follow her progress and cheer her on from 5,000 miles away, we also do the same for Rick, right now he is in the top ten, on the Yukon and moving. I wish him well!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 10:27 PM

3,714 posts, read 7,795,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Ok, well thanks for all the info. I checked several of the mushers' bios, and found a way to watch the race in real-time on Ionearth without logging on (or paying to be a Cabela "Insider!"). Went to musher John Baker's website, and directed to Ionearth from there. It's pretty cool to watch as the standings change.

Does anybody have suggestions for smaller towns to visit around September, or so? I don't mind cold weather and snow, but have had enough of rain/grey days. I've been looking at other threads, and boy, do you folks have an awful lot of people who want to move up there because "it's beautfiul" and they're looking for an "adventure"...I'd love to see the countryside, but have had enough adventure in my life. Any suggestions for small towns that are not too terribly inundated with tourists?
A lot - probably a very high percentage - of the people who want to move because 'it's beautiful' aren't using whatever they have that passes for brains. Alaska is beautiful, spectacular, gorgeous - and mostly not in the least what anyone would call user-friendly, not unless you already know what you're doing, which for the most part, they don't. Any small town that is on the road system will have a certain amount of tourists, but the further you go from Anchorage or Fairbanks, the fewer there will be. Relatively speaking, anyway.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:59 AM

3,774 posts, read 9,564,665 times
One of the great spots I was in was St. George in the Pribolofs. The hotel is pretty nice and the people are fantastic. No restaurants, but you can cook in the kitchen in the lower level of the hotel. Gourmet class kitchen by the way.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:23 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,833,483 times
Default with a name like seebee...

with a name like seebee...you might just have to see unalaska, out on the Aleutian chain. My uncle was a SeaBee in WWII and fought in the Aleutian campaign, he talked about it with a certain amount of nostangia but he never wanted to go back and visit. Had enough wind and cold the first time around.

Quite a bit of history out there at the tip of the chain, and pretty thin on tourists.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:47 PM

4,628 posts, read 8,588,919 times
Post Rotorhead....

Hey, I'm impressed - good guess! My dad was a SeaBee in WWII; and SeeBee are my initials, phonetically. So, it seemed like a usable name...

Plenty of places to visit in AK & I've got some good leads from reading this site. But I don't think the Aleutian Islands will be on the top of my list! Love cold weather, snow and the outdoors, but I'm all about indoor plumbing and having good coffee in the morning!

No more Iditarod? I guess you folks must be so used to it, I just find it fascinating! None of my friends here are the least bit interested...

Old 03-10-2008, 01:51 PM

21,337 posts, read 30,935,960 times
What is this Iditarod you speak of???

Old 03-10-2008, 01:58 PM

4,628 posts, read 8,588,919 times
You're adorable!

Old 03-10-2008, 02:45 PM

2,628 posts, read 5,815,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
You're adorable!
Don't encourage him...

Old 03-10-2008, 06:57 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,075,190 times
Oh wow! I get really upset over stuff like this. I know how I feel about my dogs and if someone killed one of them because of carelessness and first degree stupidity with malice w/no thought, I would be damn furious. There are several million people in the lower 48 who know the Iditarod is going on up there, I would suspect it to be a major local event. How does someone run over a dog with a snow machine as the dog is actively participating in the event? He didn't know the race route? Didn't know dogs would be out there? Thought he would just buzz the animals just to see how they would react? Suspect I really would like to meet this guy, it would be worth the jail time.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:59 PM

2,628 posts, read 5,815,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Oh wow! I get really upset over stuff like this. I know how I feel about my dogs and if someone killed one of them because of carelessness and first degree stupidity with malice w/no thought, I would be damn furious. There are several million people in the lower 48 who know the Iditarod is going on up there, I would suspect it to be a major local event. How does someone run over a dog with a snow machine as the dog is actively participating in the event? He didn't know the race route? Didn't know dogs would be out there? Thought he would just buzz the animals just to see how they would react? Suspect I really would like to meet this guy, it would be worth the jail time.
Hold up, what are you talking about? I didn't see anything about this in the newspaper this morning...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska