U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 02:59 PM

6,204 posts, read 10,764,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjamastr1217 View Post
From what i read on the site, you can be a Wildlife trooper after you complete one year on being a regular State Trooper
The Alaska State Troopers are in the Public Safety Employees Association, that's their union. After a year you can bid on open postings. Since everything is done by seniority it could be years before you could become a Wildlife Trooper. It's a very sought after position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 07:42 PM

6,483 posts, read 12,997,821 times
I also chuckled a bit about the Kenai Peninsula feeling like a zoo. Buddy, have you visited Alaska yet? The only zoo here is Anchorage, and it's actually more of a funny farm.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:44 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,342,380 times
Quote:
Once i graduate, im doing an apprenticehip to become a Line Repairman, but im interested in becoming a WIldlife trooper, so im gonna rent an appartment in Anchorage and apply for the Academy.
What degree is it exactly that you're going to have after you graduate?

You really need to have a job secured before you rent an anything anywhere in Alaska, and it would be wise to look for jobs in fields in which you have experience and/or education.

Jobs in both of the fields you've chosen are like unobtanium and the elusive sidehill siger. They don't exist. One of the jobs you chose is a state job. This state is broke. Fact: No greenhorn from the south is getting any stinkin trooper job. And, oh, you want to be a lineman? You want one of the best paid blue collar jobs in Alaska and you're just going to waltz up here, again, greenhorn AF, and get yourself all hired up?

Right on.

lol

Last edited by riceme; 04-25-2017 at 11:16 PM..

Old 04-25-2017, 11:03 PM

187 posts, read 150,044 times
Quote:
SE panhandle seems good too but ive seen a lot of people say panhandlers arent "True Alaskans."
What?

Old 04-25-2017, 11:20 PM

1,501 posts, read 838,760 times
As far as true Alaskans. I've heard it two ways. Native. Or born here before statehood. Lol

Old 04-26-2017, 04:35 AM

11 posts, read 9,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
What degree is it exactly that you're going to have after you graduate?

You really need to have a job secured before you rent an anything anywhere in Alaska, and it would be wise to look for jobs in fields in which you have experience and/or education.

Jobs in both of the fields you've chosen are like unobtanium and the elusive sidehill siger. They don't exist. One of the jobs you chose is a state job. This state is broke. Fact: No greenhorn from the south is getting any stinkin trooper job. And, oh, you want to be a lineman? You want one of the best paid blue collar jobs in Alaska and you're just going to waltz up here, again, greenhorn AF, and get yourself all hired up?

Right on.

lol
Have you heard what ive said? Ill already have a couple year of training and saved up enough after a couple years, theres a difference between a guy who wants to be a lineman and someone who already knows how to be one. Besides, Lineman's a high demand job, hardly any people A. want to or B. know how to do it.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:46 AM

Another reason im sceptical about SE Panhandle is while i dont mind rain, im not sure i wanna go swimming everytime i walk outside, lol

Old 04-26-2017, 05:04 AM

2,935 posts, read 2,291,276 times
All the Alaska State Troopers I know were already MPs, local cops, etc., before applying to the academy, and/or have a bachelor's or better in criminal justice or a similar field. It's not an entry-level job.

I've heard Alaska's IBEW local can be challenging to get into if you didn't apprentice with a local member, because IBEW workplaces want to hire established IBEW, and you have to be hired by an IBEW workplace to join the IBEW, so it's circular. I don't know much about it, though.

If you haven't been to Alaska, you're not in love with Alaska - you're in love with your idea of Alaska. I recommend coming up for a roadtrip or seasonal job to get the actual lay of the land.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
If you haven't been to Alaska, you're not in love with Alaska - you're in love with your idea of Alaska. I recommend coming up for a roadtrip or seasonal job to get the actual lay of the land.
Just what im planning to do. We were supposed to take a family trip last year but some issues came up so we couldnt and IDK when my mother plans on trying again, so i plan on going up myself once i get an established job.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:43 AM

1,984 posts, read 905,276 times
Quote:
Another reason im sceptical about SE Panhandle is while i dont mind rain, im not sure i wanna go swimming everytime i walk outside, lol
Overcast and light rain is the typical weather condition. Heavy rain is usually reserved for fall season.

Dunno about job prospects in the lineman field. It may be a possibility in small communities because, as you say, not many people are qualified.

Since you love forests, SE or S Central is where you'll want to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska