U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 04:10 PM

683 posts, read 391,633 times

Advertisements

Kenai/Soldotna would be my choice. The temp extremes of Fairbanks are crazy, and the summer to short. Juneau is to expensive for housing and you will grow webbing between your toes.
If you can drive on Ice you will have no trouble on dry snow.
Good luck where ever you chose.
Kenai and Soldotna has a very good medical facility. And it is a short flight to Anchorage if it is something they can't handle. About the only thing that Anchorage cant handle is extreme burn victims, those are sent to SEA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 09:30 PM

158 posts, read 81,744 times
Kenai or Fairbanks would be my vote - I don't really know what the job options are for you in Kenai though. I know it's a much smaller area than Fairbanks so finding employment for you might be an issue there vs. Fairbanks. Juneau, as people have pointed out, is not connected the mainland of Alaska by road so there's a good portion of awesomeness you'd have a harder time seeing. Climate is also different there from what I've heard (I've only ever lived in the interior and Anchorage). You will need passports if your driving and you need to get that now as the processing time gets a bit longer during peak season. We had one of our children needing to renew his and it took 3 weeks. If you have to do expedited it costs more.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:29 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,317,080 times
If those were my three choices I would definitely go with Kenai. Fairbanks is too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. Also, it's very expensive to heat since natural gas is not really an option. Also, in the winter air quality is very bad with all the wood stoves. In the summer air quality can be bad due to forest fires. Juneau is isolated and has very limited options for housing. It also rains quite a bit there.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:51 PM

6,483 posts, read 12,735,946 times
I'd say Kenai. I moved to Soldotna (beside Kenai) 3 years ago from the Mississippi Delta. It wasn't too difficult a transition. Juneau is literally an island; you're not connected to the road system except by ferry. Fairbanks gets COLD (-30, -40, etc.).

Central Peninsula Hospital in Soldotna is a major healthcare employer for the central peninsula region. I'd recommend getting in touch with them if you decide to move forward with Kenai/Soldotna.

Good luck.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:33 AM

3 posts, read 1,501 times
Thank you everybody for y'alls input! We picked Kenai as our #1 chose and got it!! We will be moving within a few weeks! Can't wait!

Old 05-16-2017, 11:08 AM

2,376 posts, read 3,345,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwells2011 View Post
Thank you everybody for y'alls input! We picked Kenai as our #1 chose and got it!! We will be moving within a few weeks! Can't wait!
We'd all really appreciate if you checked back in from time to time to give us an update. Good luck.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:28 AM

3 posts, read 1,501 times
Hey! I'm not really sure how to navigate through this site to give updates! I have a job interview tomorrow with the Central Peninsula Hospital Lab Director! So I'm hopeful to have a job lined up before we move! We are leaving out from AR on July 5th and taking our time to see the sights. Now we just need to find a place to live and a daycare for the little ones!

Old 06-01-2017, 07:45 AM

926 posts, read 644,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwells2011 View Post
Hey! I'm not really sure how to navigate through this site to give updates! I have a job interview tomorrow with the Central Peninsula Hospital Lab Director! So I'm hopeful to have a job lined up before we move! We are leaving out from AR on July 5th and taking our time to see the sights. Now we just need to find a place to live and a daycare for the little ones!
Thanks for the update, keep them coming please. Good Luck with the interview.

Old Yesterday, 03:34 AM

58 posts, read 20,962 times
When i drove through canada i only had my drivers license and birth certificate. That got me through both borders. This was in June of 2017.

Never been to fairbanks but at the ak/ca border which i understand is similar climate to fairbanks has an almost tropical atmosphere in the summer time. Quite the opposite of what most people expect from Alaska.

Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM

1,405 posts, read 725,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska-47 View Post
When i drove through canada i only had my drivers license and birth certificate. That got me through both borders. This was in June of 2017.

Never been to fairbanks but at the ak/ca border which i understand is similar climate to fairbanks has an almost tropical atmosphere in the summer time. Quite the opposite of what most people expect from Alaska.
For real? Just a DL and birth certificate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska