U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2017, 04:18 PM

673 posts, read 385,815 times

Advertisements

This in ADN this morning is good info for any wannabe teachers from the lower 48 wanting to come to Alaska on a whim.
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/educ...ty-study-says/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 07:07 PM

293 posts, read 272,802 times
Not only will IASD (the district mentioned in this article) lose 8 teachers at the end of this school year, we lost several teachers before Thanksgiving. I know teaching is hard, but it is also hard on the students and the other teachers that stay when a teacher leaves during the school year.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:08 PM

12,665 posts, read 7,645,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman51 View Post
Not only will IASD (the district mentioned in this article) lose 8 teachers at the end of this school year, we lost several teachers before Thanksgiving. I know teaching is hard, but it is also hard on the students and the other teachers that stay when a teacher leaves during the school year.
Out of curiosity, why do you think so many leave?
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville

Old 04-28-2017, 11:04 PM

1,378 posts, read 711,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Out of curiosity, why do you think so many leave?
Lots of different reasons. We left IASD when our job was cut and the administration was changing. Not for the best IMO. However the super in the article seems to be a great lady. My friends that are staying love her.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:01 AM

In McGrath, new teachers are expected to find their own housing. In some of the other places in the district, they may have housing or are given a stipend. Housing may be around $1000.00 or more a month after utilities are added in for a small drafty place. Food for a month may be around $500. 00 and it is hard when the only local store if there is one has little to offer. Many of the new teachers decide to not get transportation as they are within a 10 minute walk from the school. In some ways they feel it is like getting sent to a third world country. There is generally 10-15 kids per class, but there is usually several different grades and teachers are expected to also do phys. ed, art, music, ect. They might end up working during lunch or have to do recess duty. They may also be asked to help with carnival duties, or other extracurricular activities. Also the teachers are more likely to be white and non native, which means that they would not qualify for benefits that the village would offer to natives. If the teacher is new to Alaska, they also would not be able to subsistence hunt even if they had access to subsistence land.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:59 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,589,730 times
Sounds like the rural teachers face some difficulties mainly housing and job security. How does the problem ever get fixed, or will there always be high teacher turnover in the bush?

Old 04-29-2017, 11:43 AM

448 posts, read 516,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Sounds like the rural teachers face some difficulties mainly housing and job security. How does the problem ever get fixed, or will there always be high teacher turnover in the bush?
In the past, decent teachers did not have to worry as much about job security because there was money to pay them. Most come, stay a couple of years, and then leave because of the isolation, if they last that long. Now, job security is definitely an issue for non-tenured teachers because of the budget cuts but that isn't fixable at the district level.

In the two districts where my husband has worked, the districts provided subsidized housing and utilities, along with paying the entire cost of health insurance. They also gave him one round trip plane ticket per year from Anchorage. That really helped but in the end, the teachers who end up staying are the ones who really do embrace the rural lifestyle. Nothing the districts do can truly prepare a person for that moment when they arrive at their destination, look around, and wonder just what they have gotten themselves into. The ones who stay just roll with the new normal.

In the village where my husband is currently working, the school district resided all the teacher housing a couple of years ago. Because of that, they would not let the teachers get TV or internet because they did not want satellite dishes on the building. I thought that was nuts. How do they expect to retain millennials if they do not at least let them have access to the internet at home? Apparently, the current principal came up with a work around so this year they did have access.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:55 AM

There is definitely isolation, I think especially for the females, because they are probably less interested in things like fishing and hunting and there may not be many social activities, except a pot-luck and then you don't know if you should go, you need to take food, ect. Many new teachers here don't show for the few social activities much, then they go away for Christmas, and sometimes spring break. They seem busy a lot and because they don't have transportation, they don't go very far. I have offered some snowmachine rides, and take them moose if they want some. Sometimes I offer them dinner, but I live on the other side of town and have a small dry cabin. I think if the teachers are flexible enough, they probably would be able to stay with the district here because some will leave. But you might be moved to another village then.
Also you sometimes feel like you are in a fishbowl here and when you go to a social activity, people will probably talk to you about your job. There is also little interest here with the parents about school. There is definitely abuse of alcohol here with the parents, I wouldn't call it alcoholism though. Also one thing I noticed here is kids being gone alot, the parents go off on vacations when it's convenient for them, and don't expect kids to do make-up work. I went to school in the 70's and things are a lot different now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: