U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 10:30 PM

15,703 posts, read 25,340,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
When I was a kid, we ran unsupervised throughout the woods of Sterling. Never did see any bears (or snakes), I think because we always made too much noise! But we weren't 4 years old either. More like 8 or 9. But we were many times a mile from the house and could have easily become bear fodder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 04:08 AM

14,386 posts, read 16,174,447 times
I clicked on the link.....and the snake has returned home. https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2017...returned-home/

Old 05-09-2017, 12:38 PM

4,114 posts, read 1,559,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I clicked on the link.....and the snake has returned home. https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2017...returned-home/
I still like the Wasilla bashing, that place is a cesspool full of dolts, idiots and criminals. I think I seen more obnoxious lifted loud trucks in Wasilla than anywhere I have ever been. I am not sure what attracts them to that area, maybe that's where its easiest to get meth.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I still like the Wasilla bashing, that place is a cesspool full of dolts, idiots and criminals. I think I seen more obnoxious lifted loud trucks in Wasilla than anywhere I have ever been. I am not sure what attracts them to that area, maybe that's where its easiest to get meth.
Drug users have always been everywhere in Alaska, not just in Wasilla by the guys with "obnoxious lifted loud trucks."

Old 05-14-2017, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Drug users have always been everywhere in Alaska, not just in Wasilla by the guys with "obnoxious lifted loud trucks."
Driving a monster truck on the roads when they got their licence out of a Cracker Jack box is a serious issue in wasilla and people with families should be getting more politically active about it. When do people have to start serving 1+ years in jail for driving with a suspended licence or no insurance? When do cops start giving 6 pt tickets for rapid acceleration?

Old 05-14-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Driving a monster truck on the roads when they got their licence out of a Cracker Jack box is a serious issue in wasilla and people with families should be getting more politically active about it. When do people have to start serving 1+ years in jail for driving with a suspended licence or no insurance? When do cops start giving 6 pt tickets for rapid acceleration?
Only "lifted truck drivers" commit such offenses?

All I am trying to say is that not all "lifted truck" drivers are drug users and trouble makers. Drug and alcohol abuse has been the norm in Alaska for many years, and these folks drive all kinds of vehicles.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Only "lifted truck drivers" commit such offenses?

All I am trying to say is that not all "lifted truck" drivers are drug users and trouble makers. Drug and alcohol abuse has been the norm in Alaska for many years, and these folks drive all kinds of vehicles.
No but when they are those huge trucks can do significantly more damage and dont require a CDL to drive them, thats a huge deal. An idiot on a crotch rocket is most likely only going to kill themselves, someone in a giant lifted F750 super duty can wipe out a whole family and all that is doled out these days is hand slaps.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
No but when they are those huge trucks can do significantly more damage and dont require a CDL to drive them, thats a huge deal. An idiot on a crotch rocket is most likely only going to kill themselves, someone in a giant lifted F750 super duty can wipe out a whole family and all that is doled out these days is hand slaps.
That can be a different discussion by itself, but in reality you don't need a CDL to drive an RV nor a lifted truck. The requirements for a CDL are shown below. You have to take into consideration that most of the accidents on the roads aren't because of lifted trucks.
Commercial Driver License Types

If you want to know about vehicular accidents in Alaska, this is the place to go:
Traffic Safety Statistics, Alaska Highway Safety Office, Transportation & Public Facilities, State of Alaska

I would not let drivers of lifted trucks bother me so much. I would be concerned first with unsafe drivers, and with my own driving second. Yes, I make mistakes too, so I don't look at others nor the types of vehicles they drive as the only ones causing accidents. As Alaska grows (more people moving in), the more automobiles, the more congested the roads get, and the more accidents we have.

This is a little dated now, but gives you an idea of types of vehicles involved in accidents:
http://www.dot.state.ak.us/highwaysa...y_Veh_Type.pdf

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/ge...state-overview

Young drivers are having the most accidents.

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-14-2017 at 07:13 PM..

Old 05-15-2017, 12:52 PM

3,421 posts, read 1,372,863 times
Quote:
Judging Wasilla harshly is valid, there are no redeeming qualities of Wasilla, it is a dumping ground for zombie commuters to anchorage who want a bigger back yard. It is also the methlab capital of south central Alaska and home to way more dregs of society than anchorage. The light timing was done by the real life characters of idiocracy. The traffic is worse than 90% of anchorage. Everyone I have dealt with out of Wasilla is rude uneducated and VERY arrogant. Lifted trucks and a$$ holish driving with little to no law enforcement.

Troopers could self fund with traffic tickets alone in Wasilla. I would love to see a law passed where if you get your 12th point your car gets ran through a trash compactor and your licence cut up right in front of you and you walk home, they could have a semi mounted unit that rolls up and smashes your car, letter goes out to insurance that it wont be covered so your walking and paying on the loan.

Sure if you live way out on Wasilla Fishhook or near colony high school on trunk "Wasilla" is nice (so long as your not near a back woods methlab). But Wasilla proper is a s*it show. I am surprised the state allowed the city to put up all those lights on a state highway. They should force the city to build frontage roads.
All of that aside, just having Sarah Palin as your neighbor is reason enough to keep away.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
That can be a different discussion by itself, but in reality you don't need a CDL to drive an RV nor a lifted truck. The requirements for a CDL are shown below. You have to take into consideration that most of the accidents on the roads aren't because of lifted trucks.
Commercial Driver License Types

If you want to know about vehicular accidents in Alaska, this is the place to go:
Traffic Safety Statistics, Alaska Highway Safety Office, Transportation & Public Facilities, State of Alaska

I would not let drivers of lifted trucks bother me so much. I would be concerned first with unsafe drivers, and with my own driving second. Yes, I make mistakes too, so I don't look at others nor the types of vehicles they drive as the only ones causing accidents. As Alaska grows (more people moving in), the more automobiles, the more congested the roads get, and the more accidents we have.

This is a little dated now, but gives you an idea of types of vehicles involved in accidents:
http://www.dot.state.ak.us/highwaysa...y_Veh_Type.pdf

Fatality Facts

Young drivers are having the most accidents.
Also lifted trucks seem to have a disproportionate amount of HID head lights which are incredibly dangerous and I don't know why the state has not outlawed them yet. Also when people lift their trucks most don't put proper mud flaps on which is a violation and they kick up rocks.

Motor homes are also an issue but their speeds are generally low and you don't hear about motor homes in deadly crashes.

Last edited by pittsflyer; 05-15-2017 at 02:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska