U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-15-2017, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
13,873 posts, read 15,388,641 times
Reputation: 31360

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Well, no. It's Meadow Lakes. Shall we judge all of Anchorage based on Mountain View? Or assume all residents are drunk and homeless since that's mostly what you see downtown?
If you folks can stand a question from a non-Alaskan, I am wondering what the homeless do in Anchorage during the winter?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2017, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Anchorage
742 posts, read 469,798 times
Reputation: 767
We have a lot of bleeding hearts that take care of them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Constitutional USA, zn.8A
685 posts, read 199,766 times
Reputation: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I clicked on the link.....and the snake has returned home.
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2017...returned-home/
David Hyde, Sam's owner told neighbors they had nothing to fear,
because "he's not evil or vicious. He's just shy & hungry".
Adding his python (constrictor) had Not eaten in two weeks.
Um, tho I overcame my fear of garter-snakes at the zoo, that hungry 17-foot tourniquet would scare anybody.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2017, 12:47 AM
 
Location: interior Alaska
3,057 posts, read 2,377,589 times
Reputation: 7967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
If you folks can stand a question from a non-Alaskan, I am wondering what the homeless do in Anchorage during the winter?
Depends on the person and the circumstances.

Some...
  • freeze to death
  • couch surf or find a flop
  • get into shelters or housing programs
  • end up hospitalized
  • reconcile with friends or family
  • have strong winter camping survival skills
  • leave
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2017, 12:38 PM
 
4,113 posts, read 1,555,737 times
Reputation: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Depends on the person and the circumstances.


Some...
  • freeze to death
  • couch surf or find a flop
  • get into shelters or housing programs
  • end up hospitalized
  • reconcile with friends or family
  • have strong winter camping survival skills
  • leave
Does the state collect statistics on how many people die of exposure each year?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2017, 11:48 AM
 
Location: SE Alaska
2,063 posts, read 970,702 times
Reputation: 1732
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Also lifted trucks seem to have a disproportionate amount of HID head lights which are incredibly dangerous and I don't know why the state has not outlawed them yet. Also when people lift their trucks most don't put proper mud flaps on which is a violation and they kick up rocks..
Agreed. I wasn't aware that Wasilla had a disproportionate number of lifted trucks, but it makes sense.

The average IQ in that community probably qualifies it for special needs assistance from the feds.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2017, 12:47 PM
 
4,113 posts, read 1,555,737 times
Reputation: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Agreed. I wasn't aware that Wasilla had a disproportionate number of lifted trucks, but it makes sense.

The average IQ in that community probably qualifies it for special needs assistance from the feds.
Next time you are driving through just take some extra looks around, you will have plenty of time sitting for several minutes at EVERY SINGLE LIGHT because the traffic engineers are to ignorant to properly time the lights like they do down town anchorage. My guess is they are trying to level up in angry birds.


Everyone in Anchorage that enjoys driving out to Houston or Big Lake should email their senators to use the state against Wasilla to tear down the lights and make Wasilla pay for their own frontage roads as the Parks is a HIGHWAY. I am surprised that the state allowed Wasilla to put up so many lights.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2017, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
2,433 posts, read 3,557,144 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I am surprised that the state allowed Wasilla to put up so many lights.
All those lights were put up by the State of Alaska. The Parks is a state road, so anything done would be done by the state.
And the Glenn Highway through Palmer has lights. Why no whining about that? Or the Sterling Highway through Soldotna?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2017, 03:28 PM
 
4,113 posts, read 1,555,737 times
Reputation: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
All those lights were put up by the State of Alaska. The Parks is a state road, so anything done would be done by the state.
And the Glenn Highway through Palmer has lights. Why no whining about that? Or the Sterling Highway through Soldotna?
Because there are only 3 lights through Palmer, and it takes me a whopping 2-3 min to get through palmer. It took me over a half hour to get through Wasilla on any given day during rush 3 hours. Although I disagree with that extra light they added for fred Meyers in Palmer, two lights was fine.


So people need to get on with emailing their senators if they enjoy going out past Wasilla for any reason.


BTW comparing Palmer to Wasilla is intellectually dishonest.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2017, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
25,523 posts, read 40,593,702 times
Reputation: 13376
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That snake can easily swallow a small child.
No it can't.

You know why humans (small or large) are NEVER eaten by snakes? Because 1. We aren't their natural prey, and therefore don't appeal to them at all. 2. Our shoulders don't collapse (like a rodent or bird), so we'd get stuck halfway. I dare you to find a LEGITIMATE account of a human/child being eaten by a python, but doubt you will. And don't show us that kid in Indonesia or wherever, because it was later proven to be a hoax. He's still alive and well!

And remember, I'm talking about being EATEN - not constricted or strangled. That's pretty rare too, though, with maybe a few recorded incidents in the last 100 years. Your children are more at risk from those Alaskan bears, coyotes, even the neighbor's dog, than a harmless and usually docile large python. Sheesh.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top