U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-13-2018, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Alexander Archipelago
2,803 posts, read 1,497,897 times
Reputation: 2750

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Can you take your truck to the islands to camp? Is it possible to get substitute teaching jobs up there?
What islands are you referring to? The large ones have ferry and jet service, the small ones have neither.
So, it's either float plane or personal water craft.

Yes, you can get substitute teaching jobs here. Go to the website of the school district you're interested in for more details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2018, 05:01 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
9,457 posts, read 16,412,550 times
Reputation: 13154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
What islands are you referring to? The large ones have ferry and jet service, the small ones have neither.
So, it's either float plane or personal water craft.

Yes, you can get substitute teaching jobs here. Go to the website of the school district you're interested in for more details.
Sorry, I jumped in too quick with my questions and have since done a little research. I have learned that there is ferry service among the islands but what I can't tell is if I can take my vehicle, like are there roads on those islands? The ones that have ferry service I mean. I'm planning to take a bicycle but I'm going to be traveling with my little dog so need to keep with the vehicle, unless I can figure out how to take her on the bike too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2018, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Alexander Archipelago
2,803 posts, read 1,497,897 times
Reputation: 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Sorry, I jumped in too quick with my questions and have since done a little research. I have learned that there is ferry service among the islands but what I can't tell is if I can take my vehicle, like are there roads on those islands? The ones that have ferry service I mean. I'm planning to take a bicycle but I'm going to be traveling with my little dog so need to keep with the vehicle, unless I can figure out how to take her on the bike too.
Yes, they all have roads except Tenakee. Not many miles of them, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2018, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Dangling from a mooses antlers
6,907 posts, read 11,694,838 times
Reputation: 5572
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Sorry, I jumped in too quick with my questions and have since done a little research. I have learned that there is ferry service among the islands but what I can't tell is if I can take my vehicle, like are there roads on those islands? The ones that have ferry service I mean. I'm planning to take a bicycle but I'm going to be traveling with my little dog so need to keep with the vehicle, unless I can figure out how to take her on the bike too.
Take the InterIsland ferry from Ketchikan over to Hollis. That will open up lots of areas to explore. You could spend a week exploring all the communities on the road system over there.

https://www.travelalaska.com/destina...%20island.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 07:40 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
9,457 posts, read 16,412,550 times
Reputation: 13154
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Take the InterIsland ferry from Ketchikan over to Hollis. That will open up lots of areas to explore. You could spend a week exploring all the communities on the road system over there.

https://www.travelalaska.com/destina...%20island.aspx
Thanks, that looks like a great website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top