U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2017, 09:38 AM

674 posts, read 1,415,905 times

Advertisements

I want to get a boat to dipnet above the bridge. looking for recommendations on a boat/motor combo that won't break the bank....if there is such a thing! a used boat is most likely what I am looking for. I was told to get a boat with rounded sides so I can use it in the sound too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 11:35 AM

2,556 posts, read 3,922,257 times
I would check in the Alaska Outdoors Forum: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ska-Dipnetting

Old 05-26-2017, 12:39 PM

674 posts, read 1,415,905 times
I posted something similar there too, was just comparing and you never know what someone has for sale. I didn't know about the 2017 dipnetting in the sticky area though, thanks.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:17 AM

16,163 posts, read 27,392,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
I want to get a boat to dipnet above the bridge. looking for recommendations on a boat/motor combo that won't break the bank....if there is such a thing! a used boat is most likely what I am looking for. I was told to get a boat with rounded sides so I can use it in the sound too.
It's getting very crowded above the bridge, and you have to do a lot of drifting to catch any salmon. But if you still want to do it, any aluminum flat bottom boat, or even one with a light V will do. A friend and I do that each year, but in the past two years we have had to spend a lot of fuel to catch around 25 salmon each.

We don't like to spend more than 1-1/2 day drifting, but if you can spend around three days and nights (the latter to catch a few hours of sleep), you may do OK depending on the number of salmon on the runs. The problem with dipping above the bridge is that you are limited to drifting because there aren't but a very few spots to dip from the rocks across the river, and the lucky ones getting a spots hold on to them for days at a time.

Some people use inflatable boats such as Zodiac and others. A 14-foot Zodiac with a 25HP motor (propeller) can be used above and below the bridge.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:50 PM

2,133 posts, read 1,684,856 times
No boating experience, no dip netting experience, no boat knowledge, no knowledge of said river, and you think it is a good idea to just buy a used boat that is unfamiliar to you and plop into the Copper River and go fishing? Is this correct? If so, please understand the risk involved before you do it, it not something to be taken lightly. It has inherent safety risks that can easily injure or kill any on the boat and/or nearby.

Learning to boat on a swift, powerful, heavily silt laden river during a circus is a disaster waiting to happen.

I strongly suggest you take the "Boating and Seamanship" safety course provided by the U.S. Coast Guard.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:19 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,866,985 times
I grew up on the Yukon and have been boating on most of the major rivers in Alaska. I was taken aback the first time I saw the Copper. This is a "different breed of cat". Don't mess with this river.

I have fished in boats above the bridge with my two brothers. Also fished below the bridge.

Don't take this river lightly.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:54 AM

16,163 posts, read 27,392,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
I grew up on the Yukon and have been boating on most of the major rivers in Alaska. I was taken aback the first time I saw the Copper. This is a "different breed of cat". Don't mess with this river.

I have fished in boats above the bridge with my two brothers. Also fished below the bridge.

Don't take this river lightly.
I assumed that the OP knew the Copper River when I responded. That said, I am in complete agreement with you about the extreme danger one is exposed to when on the Copper. I remember a time when going down the canyon on a boat there was this big depression in the water at the left side of the river. The rest of the water was nice and flat, but the surface of the hole in the water was about 2 feet lower than the rest of the river. There was no whirlpool I could see, just this very wide round depression. It was nothing but scary.

And for boaters alone, a very dangerous river in the interior is the Klutina.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:21 PM

6,008 posts, read 2,475,587 times
Is it possible to dip net at the mouth of the copper? How dangerous is the mouth?

Old 05-29-2017, 05:49 AM

2,133 posts, read 1,684,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Is it possible to dip net at the mouth of the copper? How dangerous is the mouth?
Possible? Yes. You know that Cordova is not connected to the "main" road system in Alaska, and one would need to fly or take a ferry to get there, yes?

Legal, I think not; http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...pu-fishery.pdf .

Dangerous? Assuredly.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:06 AM

6,008 posts, read 2,475,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
Possible? Yes. You know that Cordova is not connected to the "main" road system in Alaska, and one would need to fly or take a ferry to get there, yes?

Legal, I think not; http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...pu-fishery.pdf .

Dangerous? Assuredly.
I am aware, I was thinking with a cub on floats it would not take a whole lot to get to the mouth. But since its not legal then its a moot point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska