Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 11:31 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayke View Post
That was definitely my plan is to drive up in rv and just spend some time checking out different areas and see what speaks to me. I've read a little on Haines, seems like a fairly decent place. I'm sure there's a lot of rv parks around a long the way?
If you got the resources, this would be the best thing. Take some time to explore and see what speaks to to your heart. Check out Haines, Seward, Valdez, Homer, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 11:32 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
Another vote for Haines if you got the funds.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:21 PM

21 posts, read 67,017 times
A big problem in Alaska right now is a disconnect between housing and employment. There are good jobs in Seward but no reasonably priced housing (in the summer). There is reasonably priced housing in Homer but no real jobs. There are jobs in south-east but again, no housing. Haines is amazing but there are no jobs and no housing there. The only place that really has both is Fairbanks, and the weather scares people off. Really the deciding factor of where to live is going to come down to where you can both find a job and afford a place to live. You won't have any trouble finding camp grounds. Are camp grounds different than an "rv park"? Maybe you mean you want connections, many private campgrounds have connections but few of the state run parks do. Either way they are everywhere. Plan to pick up a milepost, even locals routinely use them to find places to camp.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:17 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,003 times
Save wear and tear on your motor home and fly up an rent one in Anchorage and maximize your time exploring Alaska. Get a copy of "The Milepost"! Once you are outside of the major cites there are lots of places to pull off the road and camp for the night.
Your opinion of a place is the only one that matters!

Old 06-11-2017, 02:30 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
You might look at working on Fort Greely and living around Delta. Lots of good playing civ jobs on Greely (with contractors or directly for Greely) and most of them strongly prefer vets, particularly those who've held higher security clearances. Delta is less built up and touristy than comparable sized communities. The climate and terrain are harsher but IMO the region is beautiful. It's not for everyone but based on your OP wouldn't hurt to check it out.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:36 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Yayke,

It seems that you have fallen in love with Alaska, but from a distance. Just be aware that as such the way you feel is only an illusion. The only way to figure if your love is in the right place is by getting to know Alaska up close. Since it seems that you have the financial base covered, are young, and in good health, my advise to you is to spend time up here to figure if in this side of the mountain the grass is greener… before you invest your resources. It's much like getting to know the new date. Right?

~From an ex-military old fart

Old 06-11-2017, 07:30 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
You might look at working on Fort Greely and living around Delta. Lots of good playing civ jobs on Greely (with contractors or directly for Greely) and most of them strongly prefer vets, particularly those who've held higher security clearances. Delta is less built up and touristy than comparable sized communities. The climate and terrain are harsher but IMO the region is beautiful. It's not for everyone but based on your OP wouldn't hurt to check it out.
I don't think the base jobs are as plentiful as they once were but that's just what I've heard, haven't really looked. Delta is one of the most overlooked, underrated towns in the state. This makes it affordable to own a nice spread here for a decent price vs competing with wealthy second homeowners from California for the leftover crumbs of real estate due and paying inflated prices to boot in all the hip coastal areas like Homer, Seward, Valdez, Haines, etc. where everyone always wants to move to. But it's extremely cold, windy and everyone that lives here is at least a little bit off their rocker. I also like how it's a bit rough around the edges and really isn't on too many peoples radar on places to move.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:27 PM

13 posts, read 10,306 times
Thank you all, some great input and information to look in to more. I do own the newest milepost, thank you Music_Man. I am a 100% outdoorsman, I do not want to or wish to rely on power or other amenities, but if it's there than I guess that's a plus, but probably still won't use it.

Ray in Alaska, thank you for your advice, it does seem more and more that I need to travel there first and find what part of AK really speaks to me well. I have done a lot of research on the smaller communities where there does seem to be some disconnect at each location between housing issue or job issue.

I do think that Frostnip and 6.7Traveler are on to something. I do like the Delta junction area, and there are jobs in Greely which I am fully qualified for. I might do as Music_Man suggested and take a quick flight, rent an RV, and travel around a bit. I am originally from Idaho, so the snow, cold, wind, chill, mountains, forests just make it more home for me.

I do like the idea of more Vets being located in Delta. One Vet to another, we're just easier to relate to and strike up a conversation, might make the adjustment somewhat easier on me.

I appreciate all the advice given, this has actually helped give me something more to think about and more research.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:38 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
Come visit in the winter. Idaho winter is nothing compared to an interior winter. Sure it's cold. But an interior winter will wake you up.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:41 AM

13 posts, read 10,306 times
Thanks Haolejohn, good thing my body temp runs abnormally hotter than the average person I am lookiing forward to it. What is your neck of the woods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska