U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2017, 06:59 PM

240 posts, read 140,860 times

Advertisements

I've lived on the Peninsula for about 10 years with my wife and kids.

For some reason the peninsula never really felt like home, although I do like Homer and spent 8 months living there a while back.

I've been thinking about moving to Wasilla or Eagle River, however most friends and family have nothing nice to say about Wasilla (along with dozens of other random people over the years) and would like to know why most people seem to choose the Kenai area.

Me personally I like Wasilla's size and its close enough to Anchorage to drive in with the family and Denali is close enough for a quick getaway (one of my favorite places).

which is your favorite place and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 07:26 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,856,134 times
I prefer Palmer over Wasilla. I like the proximity to hatcher pass and lazy mountain for quick day hikes. I like palmers downtown area vs wasillas stop lights and box stores. I probably wouldn't move from Kenai to the valley though mainly due to the population and proximity to anchorage. But close proximity to anchorage could be a plus for some. At least both places are still in Alaska no matter what you choose. Good luck.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:23 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,371,562 times
Doesn't Wasilla currently have like double the state's average crime rate?

Old 06-12-2017, 12:31 PM

2,433 posts, read 3,552,797 times
I've lived in Wasilla for 21 years. I think it's bad reputation is undeserved. Yes, there's crime. But I've never been a victim. The wife had her purse stolen out of her car about 16 years ago, but that's because she left it sitting in the front seat in open view. The in-laws had some stuff stolen 10 years ago, but it's because the sister-in-law was hanging out with some very sketchy people and I'm pretty sure they did it.
Yes, there's drugs. But I don't hang out with druggies. So I don't see it. I lock my doors and I don't have stuff laying around the outside of the house to get stolen.
That being said, it's a growing area. So I plan my route to avoid the traffic pinch points. There's plenty of retail options and you are close to Anchorage.
If you want a small town feel, Palmer is a great choice too.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Doesn't Wasilla currently have like double the state's average crime rate?
Crime rate in Kenai is high; heck probably the entire state is high.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:03 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,172,554 times
I second Palmer as the best choice - small town feel (closer to that of the Kenai) yet you still have quick access to basically anything you can get in Alaska. The weather in Kenai seems to be better (ie warmer and less rainy) than the Valley, but other than that I recommend the Valley over Kenai. (My family lives in Sterling and Anchorage, and I visit Wasilla almost every week so that's where my experience comes from.)

Old 06-19-2017, 04:09 AM

59 posts, read 27,451 times
I was just in homer last week for the first time since 1986 or 87 and it seamed remarkably unchanged. I never was fond of the town. It just always had an intense feel to me. But Wasilla seamed a little ghetto to me. I guess whatever floats your boat. Personally, i wouldn't leave my car unattended for very long in Wasilla, let alone live there. If i had to choose between Homer and Wasilla i would still choose Homer.

Of all the places i've been to since returning to Alaska, Kenai has been the nicest. Very friendly and mellow people, access to everything and in between everything.

Last edited by Alaska-47; 06-19-2017 at 04:27 AM..

Old 07-03-2017, 06:57 AM

3 posts, read 921 times
With no doubt, Wasilla is a better choice.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:42 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,371,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanaVR View Post
With no doubt, Wasilla is a better choice.
If you like big box stores and methheads stealing your lawnmower, sure.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
If you like big box stores and methheads stealing your lawnmower, sure.
Got that down here as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska