Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 10:20 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times

Advertisements

Trying to figure out if it's just my perception or if there's ALOT more RV's on the road and tourists walking around than the last couple previous summers. It sure seems like there's more than ever. It's not even fun heading into my little town this time of year as the traffic is horrendous and on par with L.A.

Maybe it's just a similar amount as every other year? Or would cheap gas prices in the lower 48 allow more RVs to make the trip that otherwise wouldn't?

Seems like a good year for seasonal businesses that rely on tourists to stay afloat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 06:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Must be because of Zuckerberg.

Could be a bunch of things. Baby boomers are retiring in droves right now and I imagine many of them are taking advantage of that to travel.

Coolest thing I saw getting off the ferry in Skagway was a string of about 30 really old classic cars -- as from the 20s and 30s -- all driving together through Alaska and Canada. That would be the way I'd want to do it.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:39 PM

863 posts, read 2,077,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
It's not even fun heading into my little town this time of year as the traffic is horrendous and on par with L.A.
Duuude, you need to get out more

Old 07-15-2017, 07:34 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
It's money in the bank. They come, they spend and then they go home.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,566 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Here in Seattle the Alaskan Cruise business will have a record number of passengers. There will be even more next year when one line brings in a mega ship. There is also the popularity of many TV shows now based in Alaska, the natural beauty attracts tourists. I'm sure your government and businesses are happy about the revenue.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:32 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,161 times
Well Alaska is becoming one of those vacation spots ya gotta check out so that's part of it. However, realize that with every cruise ship passenger a fairly high fee is paid to each city that is stopped at. Thus a ton of revenue. I do think there are too many cruise ships at once per stop (that was my observation as a cruiser).

Old 07-15-2017, 08:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
. However, realize that with every cruise ship passenger a fairly high fee is paid to each city that is stopped at. Thus a ton of revenue.
LOL.

It's not that simple. The fees keep dropping, and that "ton of revenue" is required to be spent on maintaining the cruise docks, harbor, and anything that directly benefits the cruise passengers. It's not free money that the cities can spend on improving their communities.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:48 PM

It just seems there is more RV's than usual. I've also seen more and larger groups of motorcycles doing the Alaska Highway trip than I remember .

I don't know if Alaska keeps track of tourism numbers but I wouldn't be surprised to see the numbers higher than last year if they do.

Not complaining. Just was curious if anyone else noticed an uptick or just more of the same.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:15 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,103,021 times
Well, I had been thinking there was way less gringos this summer and that I'd hardly seen any at all, then while I was reading this post I realized that's because I don't live in Fox anymore. Duhhh! They all come up to go to the Gulch, and some wander across the road to the Dog. You would think that if they were driving all the way out to Fox, they'd go to the Turtle. The beer at the Gulch is great, but the atmosphere blows. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Funny you mention seeing larger groups of motorcycles, 6.7. The local guys have been noticeably absent from my neck of the woods, Fox included, where they usually hang out. But, there have been a lot more outsiders than normal, and they've been staying a while. Several groups of them have been camping in and around Fox, in fact. There's kind of a big group of guys from Poland that have been here for a while now.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:43 PM

^I ran into a LARGE group of motorcyclists from Poland a week or so ago. I estimate about 30 or so. They said they were heading all the way up the Dalton. Maybe it's the same guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: