U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 12:56 AM

15,703 posts, read 25,333,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
May 1994 I drove into a national park in the Kenai Peninsula. Stopped into the tourist booth and picked up some pamphlets.

Just inside the park was small lake surrounded by boardwalk. I walked in expecting to enjoy the nature and ended up sprinting out. I used the pamphlets to swat the skeeters chewing on my legs, arms, and hands. The buzzing in my ears drove me nuts. I recall there were 4 biting the back of my left hand, and 5 feasting on my right.

By the time I was out the pamphlets were unreadable due to the beating they took and spotted bloodstains.

Got back in the vehicle, drove further away and spotted a moose nearby, magnificent.

Totally worth it.
Years ago when I used to travel to Los Anchorage, on the way back to Fairbanks I stopped off the road to a little public rest stop (maybe a State park?), just past the Denali Park area. I remember that there was a creek there. Anyway, my truck had a topper that had window screens. I stopped there with my kids to eat some sandwiches, and rest a little. We get out of the truck, and almost immediately a swarm of dark-color flies that looked like horse flies started chasing after us. I cut some spruce branches, handed some to my kids, and we all began swinging at the flies. We had to run back to the truck and leave the place, because I knew that I could not keep the darn biting flies away when going from the topper to the front of the truck. I never stopped at the place again ever since. But then, the closest I have been in Anchorage for the past 30 years is the airport terminal when air-traveling to Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 11:52 AM

306 posts, read 301,356 times
Hasn't been too bad this summer. hot and dry.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:32 PM

1,000 posts, read 301,037 times
Los Anchorage....love that!

Old 06-27-2017, 10:48 AM

2,224 posts, read 1,863,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
But then, the closest I have been in Anchorage for the past 30 years is the airport terminal when air-traveling to Seattle
This is pretty impressive. 30 years without visiting anchorage should get you some sort of hardcore Alaskan award . I hate anchorage as much as the next guy, but average about one trip a year there unfortunately. After one day, I've had my fill, got whatever I needed from there, and I'm good for another year. Living in the interior it's easy to forget that there's a giant mass of a city down there.

As to the OP, agree with the others that's it's very location specific when it comes to Mosquitos. Where I live it's pretty dry and the Mosquitos are relatively mild. Go 10 miles down the road next to a lake and the Mosquitos will be overwhelming. I eat two sweet onions a day and the Mosquitos don't bother me. I'm not sure what the sweet onions have to do with it, just a theory I have that Mosquitos don't like them, plus they taste really good.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:30 PM

1,536 posts, read 883,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
This is pretty impressive. 30 years without visiting anchorage should get you some sort of hardcore Alaskan award . I hate anchorage as much as the next guy, but average about one trip a year there unfortunately. After one day, I've had my fill, got whatever I needed from there, and I'm good for another year. Living in the interior it's easy to forget that there's a giant mass of a city down there.

As to the OP, agree with the others that's it's very location specific when it comes to Mosquitos. Where I live it's pretty dry and the Mosquitos are relatively mild. Go 10 miles down the road next to a lake and the Mosquitos will be overwhelming. I eat two sweet onions a day and the Mosquitos don't bother me. I'm not sure what the sweet onions have to do with it, just a theory I have that Mosquitos don't like them, plus they taste really good.
When I was in the Marines, we'd eat garlic cloves or garlic pills. Seemed to work as well. When I'm camping up here, I enjoy sitting in front of a smiley campfire. It really helps with the bugs. I still wear deet, but don't have to apply a t nearly as much when I have that smoke smell.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:16 PM

15,703 posts, read 25,333,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post

Agree with you about Anchorage versus the interior. I lived in Anchorage around 1979-82. Back then it was not as populated, and hardly any crime as far as I knew. I miss the mountains right close, but don't miss the crowds, crime, and the rest. What I do now is to drive toward Summit Lake, or the Steese past Chatanika, or just the Elliott. Lots of wildlife to take photos of, plus quite scenic.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:44 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,404,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Guess I won't complain about $2.55 in Wasilla.
Geez, really? It was $2.9X in Fairbanks today. Dang.

Speaking of the price of gas, seems like the price of oil might take a nosedive again. We'll see.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:24 AM

310 posts, read 450,798 times
They are terrible all the time please don't come here to find out how bad they are!

Old 07-03-2017, 12:18 PM

2,065 posts, read 972,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoStrata View Post
.. I assume the worst areas for mosquitoes are areas where there is partial permafrost, and that they aren't as bad in the southeast or anywhere without permafrost.
Yes, some parts of SE they aren't noticeable.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:49 PM

4 posts, read 1,521 times
I keep a fifty gallon barrel of DEET on my front porch. I dip myself in it whenever I go out. When I take my pet moose out for a walk the mosquito swarm is hellish. The buzzing drives me nuts, but at least I don't get bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska