Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 08:28 PM

240 posts, read 251,130 times

Advertisements

I've heard the joke that the mosquito is the Alaskan state bird. My uncle claims that when he visited his brother who lived in Anchorage at the time, that he heard a low hum that he thought was a lawn mower but actually mosquitoes.

So do Alaskans stumble through swarms of bloodsuckers every summer or is it exaggerated? I understand why there would be mosquitoes in boggy areas, like where the permafrost partially melts during summer. I assume the worst areas for mosquitoes are areas where there is partial permafrost, and that they aren't as bad in the southeast or anywhere without permafrost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 09:44 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,963,323 times
While all of Anchorage is not covered by a large never ending swarm of mosquitos, there are many areas in town that do have a massive population of mosquitos. There are 3 creeks that pass thru town and lots of small lakes. On top of that there are several undeveloped areas which tend to be boggy. Some of the undeveloped areas are protected wetlands which could only be developed if non-protected wetlands are exchanged for them. If you go across the inlet you best bring a drum of bug repellant.

Southeast Alaska can have lots of mosquitos. Lots of moisture with many small marshes make for lots of mosquitos.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:49 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,503,639 times
Anything smaller than a St Bernard is at risk for being flown off to be sucked dry.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:56 PM

256 posts, read 447,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Anything smaller than a St Bernard is at risk for being flown off to be sucked dry.
Truth.

Some years are BAD!!! While others are easy going with no worries.

Just dump sugar water on one of the many motor homes in the parking lot and you're good.

Just kidding. . .or am I?

Old 06-25-2017, 01:32 AM

2,792 posts, read 5,565,978 times
A couple of summers ago I drove up to fish the Klutina. It was windy there at river and didn't notice any bugs. Driving home I pulled off at scenic lookout to relieve the ol' bladder. Before I could unzip the fly, I was enveloped by a swarm of the thirsty blood suckers. They were like crackheads lookin' for a hit. It was crazy. Hopped back in the truck and spent the next 20 miles killing the ones that got in with me.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:11 PM

22,815 posts, read 18,101,386 times
It depends on where you are and what the local habitat and weather happen to be. I've lived all over the state in all sorts of conditions and the bugs (types and how dense) vary a lot. At mid day if its warm, sunny and windy they tend to hunker down in the brush more as most can't fly against much of a breeze. When its calm, more humid mornings or evenings at that same place they swarm everywhere. Different regions have different types of biters including several types of mosquitos, tiny biting gnats called no-see-ums, biting flies called white socks (they have a white stripe on their legs), red devils (a reddish-colored biting fly), deerflies, horse flies. I've been in the tundra where the mosquitos can cover someone's jeans so thickly they look brown. Places in willow brush too tall to see over when you can watch a companion's progress by the column of bugs hovering over their head. There is so much undeveloped land that provides moist or wet breeding habitat for various types everywhere that the numbers are huge.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:36 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,884,312 times
This has been a cool summer in the interior of Alaska, so it's not too bad. We have had a very few days with mosquitoes everywhere. While driving down the Richardson yesterday I noticed temperatures of 59 degrees close to Summit Lake (extremely windy, too), and 67 degrees by Delta Junction. With all the wind there wasn't a mosquito in sight

By the way, a couple of weeks ago gasoline was around $3.14 at Glennallen, $3.59 at Delta Junction, a lot more expensive at Big Delta (I never buy fuel there because its too expensive), and over by Salcha (maybe called Salcha Roadhouse) it was $3.05. Gasoline at this roadhouse is always cheaper than in North Pole and all other gas stations along the Richardson. This weekend gasoline was around $3.05 at Delta Junction, $3.59 at Big Delta (by the bridge), and $2.94 (something like that) at the Salcha Roadhouse. The only reason I didn't stop at the roadhouse was because my tank was just about full.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:25 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,503,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
This has been a cool summer in the interior of Alaska, so it's not too bad. We have had a very few days with mosquitoes everywhere. While driving down the Richardson yesterday I noticed temperatures of 59 degrees close to Summit Lake (extremely windy, too), and 67 degrees by Delta Junction. With all the wind there wasn't a mosquito in sight

By the way, a couple of weeks ago gasoline was around $3.14 at Glennallen, $3.59 at Delta Junction, a lot more expensive at Big Delta (I never buy fuel there because its too expensive), and over by Salcha (maybe called Salcha Roadhouse) it was $3.05. Gasoline at this roadhouse is always cheaper than in North Pole and all other gas stations along the Richardson. This weekend gasoline was around $3.05 at Delta Junction, $3.59 at Big Delta (by the bridge), and $2.94 (something like that) at the Salcha Roadhouse. The only reason I didn't stop at the roadhouse was because my tank was just about full.
Guess I won't complain about $2.55 in Wasilla.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:11 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,963,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Guess I won't complain about $2.55 in Wasilla.
I am paying that in Southern Washington State

Old 06-25-2017, 11:29 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,841,592 times
May 1994 I drove into a national park in the Kenai Peninsula. Stopped into the tourist booth and picked up some pamphlets.

Just inside the park was small lake surrounded by boardwalk. I walked in expecting to enjoy the nature and ended up sprinting out. I used the pamphlets to swat the skeeters chewing on my legs, arms, and hands. The buzzing in my ears drove me nuts. I recall there were 4 biting the back of my left hand, and 5 feasting on my right.

By the time I was out the pamphlets were unreadable due to the beating they took and spotted bloodstains.

Got back in the vehicle, drove further away and spotted a moose nearby, magnificent.

Totally worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska