Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 04:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Hey Met, speaking of the Mormons, what did you think about this article?

https://www.adn.com/business-economy...essing-plants/
That's interesting. It should help relieve some of the labor issues experienced by the large processors, but we probably won't see them at our place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 04:16 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post

Now if Zuckerberg and his friends actually wanted to move to homer and become an actual member of the community and learn the local ways and try to integrate, I'd also have no problem with that. More often than not though, these types of transplants just want to b**** and moan about how backwards the place is. They want to educate the local simpletons on the superior ways of their people.

I wonder if this will happen in Homer:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...s-kauai-estate

Quote:
few days after Christmas, Mark Zuckerberg shared a series of photographs of his family at their $100m, 700-acre property in Kauai. The Facebook CEO and his wife “fell in love with the community and the cloudy green mountains”, he wrote, and decided to “plant roots and join the community ourselves”.
I never thought about him much one way or another, but he sounds like an asshat of the worst order.

Quote:
Two days later, Zuckerberg’s lawyers filed lawsuits against hundreds of Hawaiians who may own an interest in small parcels within the boundaries of Zuckerberg’s estate.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:23 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That's interesting. It should help relieve some of the labor issues experienced by the large processors, but we probably won't see them at our place.
Funny. This is one of those cases when I am really amused to be wrong.

Someone (maybe here?) said or posted something recently about robots entering the workforce, which sparked a conversation in which I rolled my eyes and said, "Come on now. We just got Uber last week. Robots won't be in the workforce in Alaska for another fifty years."

"Progress" takes a long, slow march to Alaska, apparently unless it benefits or saves money in one of our $industries like fishing, mining or oil.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:01 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
My Alaskan brothers, please keep them up there too many are moving to Texas.

Love this thread

Old 07-09-2017, 07:42 PM

83 posts, read 90,782 times
I was actually thinking about going back home to ak

Old 07-09-2017, 08:45 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I agree, the lists are different every time I look at them.
I'm trying to find "the best" place (for me) to retire and it looks like, despite being #50, there are positives about Alaska on the same list "well-being" is one of them. (how do you measure that?) also they are #1 in the Tax column, I'm assuming that's a good thing.

My Great Aunt Janie (who was a serious shooter) lived there in the summer, FL in the winter. I believe her daughter still lives there.

Anyway you have a gorgeous state. I've only been there on my way to Japan, sitting in the terminal drinking beer with my fellow jarheads.
Semper Fi. I too passed through ANC on my way to Okinawa.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:28 PM

63 posts, read 68,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
No, I don't suffer from envy and certainly don't think these people are "bad", especially just because they are rich. That's great that they are super rich, I'm happy for them. Nice try though and thanks for the lesson on success.

I just would strongly prefer not to live in a town filled with lots of these types of people, and choose not to. I've seen it happen to many of my favorite towns. When big money comes in like that it can change the whole character of a town. They buy up all the real estate, build giant McMansions and then maybe grace the community with their precense a few weeks a year. This would of course still be fine with me, IF they didn't simultaneously work to change the rules and implement more and more laws, regulations and ordinances to mirror the place they are trying to escape from. It seems to happen this way every single time.

When people who actually live in the town and work there, can no longer afford to live there, the town more or less becomes a fake shell of its former self.

Now if Zuckerberg and his friends actually wanted to move to homer and become an actual member of the community and learn the local ways and try to integrate, I'd also have no problem with that. More often than not though, these types of transplants just want to b**** and moan about how backwards the place is. They want to educate the local simpletons on the superior ways of their people.

I guess that's progress though.

I would also never take notes on "success" from people like Zuckerberg. Some people have different definitions of success. And by my definition, I'm pretty successful. Most Alaskans would probably agree with me and not many up here are impressed by massive amounts of wealth like they are down in America.
Absolutely agree that there are many definitions of success. I would also argue that, when one becomes truly successful in their chosen craft, this often results in financial wealth as well. Not always, but more than 50% of the time. That's because we live in a financial world, for better or for worse.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:11 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
My Alaskan brothers, please keep them up there too many are moving to Texas.

Love this thread
OK, we'll do our best.

Fat chance Mark Z will be moving to Alaska or Texas, IMO. He was just a rich guy on vacation, encouraging others to see our great state too.

As for his Kauai purchase, I approve as it keeps more land there undeveloped.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:58 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Semper Fi. I too passed through ANC on my way to Okinawa.
Semper fi back atcha! Iwakuni for me, I was an Air Winger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska