U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 01:07 AM

5,997 posts, read 2,783,830 times

Advertisements

The title says it all.

Any and all recommendations will be appreciated.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 09:08 AM

1,988 posts, read 906,590 times
The Southeast Alaska Inside Passage cruise is fairly standardized. You start in Seattle/Vancouver and end up in Juneau or Skagway.

However, if you've got more money than most, I recommend taking one of the smaller cruise ships with a shorter travel distance itinerary that emphasizes the most scenic points of interest- places like Misty Fjords, Tracy Arm/Fords Terror and Glacier Bay.

If there's an offering on a smaller ship that just goes between Glacier Bay and Skagway, that's the one I'd take.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:39 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,498,498 times
This forum leans toward relocating to Alaska, not just visiting. If you want to connect with some experienced Alaskan cruisers, I'd suggest the Cruise Critic forum for Alaska: Alaska - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Old 07-13-2017, 01:16 PM

5,425 posts, read 4,135,819 times
White Pass and Yukon Railroad ride from Skagway is a must do.

Mendenhall Glacier helicopter tour Juneau is next

We didn't do bear watching because of time

Old 07-13-2017, 01:26 PM

5,997 posts, read 2,783,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
The Southeast Alaska Inside Passage cruise is fairly standardized. You start in Seattle/Vancouver and end up in Juneau or Skagway.

However, if you've got more money than most, I recommend taking one of the smaller cruise ships with a shorter travel distance itinerary that emphasizes the most scenic points of interest- places like Misty Fjords, Tracy Arm/Fords Terror and Glacier Bay.

If there's an offering on a smaller ship that just goes between Glacier Bay and Skagway, that's the one I'd take.
Thanks for the suggestion.
However I am already booked on Princess for a round trip starting and ending in Seattle, called the Inside passage with Glacier Bay.
The in between stops are in;

Juneau
Skagway
Glacier Bay
Ketchikan
Victoria

`

Old 07-13-2017, 02:56 PM

1,988 posts, read 906,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
However I am already booked on Princess for a round trip starting and ending in Seattle, called the Inside passage with Glacier Bay.

Juneau
Skagway
Glacier Bay
Ketchikan
Victoria

`
OK, Well that's a pretty good routing. I guess Mike's suggestions are more on target. You will have some time in Juneau to visit a glacier, either by helicopter or bus. I believe the bus tour to the Mendenhall allows time for a short hike out to a waterfall and closer view of the ice. There's also a tram ride to a scenic vista adjacent to and above the docks.

Several nice hikes are to be found in the Skagway and Juneau areas, if you're so inclined. I'd definitely try to get out of downtown Skagway a bit. The railroad ride is a winner.

In Glacier Bay your shore time may be limited, as there's not much there for tourists in the community of Gustavus. Maybe some kayaking or charter fishing, if time allows.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:54 AM

337 posts, read 97,943 times
Quote:

Juneau
Skagway
Glacier Bay
Ketchikan
Victoria

`
I just came back from an Alaskan cruise a couple of weeks ago. I had all your stops except for Victoria.

Juneau-If $$ is no object, whale watching, and kayaking around Mendenhall. I skipped whale watching (I planned this trip while being unemployed and still unemployed...). I did the it all the cheap way but skipped whale watching (I've done a few whale watching trips already). I took the city bus to the fish hatchery. It was interesting but it isn't a place you can be at for hours. I paid $$ to take the Glacier Express to Mendenhall (you can negotiate prices down slightly...I got it down from $36 plus tax to $30 lol....). I did some simple trails that were adjacent to the parking lot. I'm lazy and they were flat trails through the forest. I didn't actually hike at the glacier. Too much work lol... If I had more $$$ I would have loved to have done the kayaking trip there. Ate some of the best fish and chips at Papa Rodd's. I've never had a meal cost just under $20 (not including a drink!) at basically a food truck lol.

Skagway- I took the White Pass train roundtrip for $122. I saw breathtaking scenery. I always thought Lake Tahoe was the prettiest, natural, raw landscaping by Alaska beat it (this is excluding Hawaii which is its own category!). If I could do that over again, I would only do it one way and the other way do the van/bus thing since you could make stops if you see wildlife (this is actually cheaper than the train roundtrip). I also paid around $43 to do the Red Onion Saloon ghost and good times walking tour. Was very fun and I learned a lot about the history of the area too especially around the Gold Rush.

Glacier Bay- You don't actually get off there;It's just for viewing. Make sure you dress warm because that was the coldest day for me. If you are lucky you may hear the calving. Again just beautiful.

Ketchikan- I took a short 2-3 hour trolley tour that took me to Herring Cove (saw a bear!), saw some totem poles, and stopped at a waterfall. I believe this was $40. I booked it right as I got off the ship. I also walked up the Married Men's Trail to see the fish ladder (too early to see the salmon which was a let down but I knew would probably happen) and went to Dolly's House. I also took the free shuttle to Walmart lol. Again if I had the $$$ I probably would have done a floatplane tour as well.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:20 AM

63,531 posts, read 52,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post

Those are the high points. Even Princess goes to those two. The thing to worry about with cruises, OP, is the disease outbreaks. The largest ships tend to get outbreaks of diarrhea and other digestive ailments, causing half the passengers or more to be quarantined. The smaller ships are able to maintain a sanitary environment. Also, some of those small companies hire university professors to lecture on a variety of topics; local Native culture, geology or nature/environmental science, history, etc. This can be much more interesting than some of the entertainment the big ships have. It costs more, but is worth it.

Also, if they give you a day in Skagway, research it in advance. There's a hiking trail that starts on one side of town, and goes up to a lake, for more breathtaking scenery. Some local friends there tipped me off about that. Skagway's gorgeous!

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-16-2017 at 09:28 AM..

Old 07-16-2017, 09:53 AM
Status: "Back to band camp. Where did you guys leave my sleeping bag?" (set 3 days ago)

11,861 posts, read 7,981,507 times
Quote:

Juneau
Skagway
Glacier Bay
Ketchikan
Victoria

`
I did the same cruise with Norwegian.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:41 AM
Status: "Finding color within shades of gray..." (set 20 hours ago)

1,395 posts, read 3,009,850 times
Default Yukon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
White Pass and Yukon Railroad ride from Skagway is a must do....
From Skagway, get yourself up to Yukon Territory, one way or another. We took the minibus (Frontier Tours?) to the dog sled camp in Carcross surprisingly comfortable, plenty of stops for picture ops along the way. The breathtaking natural beauty of Tagish Lake, Emerald Lake, and the Arctic Desert still amazes me.

Skagway is in Alaska but Yukon Territory is in Canada. Remember to bring your passport! (Since you'll cross the international border on land, cruise port exemptions don't apply.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska