U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 06:40 AM

8 posts, read 1,198 times

Advertisements

We don't want to lose touch with family down here, but do understand it's costly, there's a reason why they pay so well. So I am thinking once or twice a year.

As for the Attorney comment, yes the upward mobility is part of the reason why'd we'd move to Bethel, I know my husband expects a challenge but is excited for the possibility of a government attorney job.

Does anyone have any recommendations about renting in Bethel? We don't plan to buy because we aren't sure how long we'd stay, and would feel more apt to buy in Anchorage or Fairbanks at some point in the future, but that ultimately could change of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 11:38 AM

2,090 posts, read 1,674,625 times
I love Alaska as much as the next guy, but I think I would move away from Alaska before I considered moving to bethel. Nothing personal it just doesn't seem like the place for me.

Don't let the higher pay be the main motivation for choosing Alaska, and especially Bethel. Not saying that is the case with you but keep in mind the extra pay will most likely be eaten up quickly by high rent costs, high utilities, high cost of groceries, high cost of pretty much everything, plane tickets in and out, etc.

Moving to a bush hub sight unseen is definitely taking a gamble. Hopefully it works out for you guys if that's what you choose. Good luck

Old 07-21-2017, 03:14 PM

1,420 posts, read 768,470 times
Rent will be mainly word of mouth. Expect substandard living at premium costs.
Can you save money? Sure. Will you? Depends.
Job contacts would be best place to find rentals. Use Amazon prime, work travel to Anchorage and Fred meyer's bush orders for your food. Stay away from span Alaska (never figured out where people save money that way). Look for house close to your job because it won't be cheap to get a vehicle to Bethel.

You either love Bethel or you hate it. We looked into moving to Bethel a couple of years ago, but they didn't have any teaching jobs for my wife, except in one of the surrounding villages.

As said, if you are sober and dependable, a job should be fairly easy to land. Contact The local school district to see if you could possibly teach a forensics class as a credit.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:49 PM

21 posts, read 10,553 times
Bethel is a cesspool, I'm not kidding in any way. Seriously, don't drink the water. Plumbing there is recent and people have been dumping 'honey buckets' for generations that have leeched into the ground water. The people are nice enough, but you won't be welcomed into the inner circle of the community unless you're Native. Neither one of you will make any friends by going into law enforcement. The village was 'damp' for a long time, meaning you couldn't buy or sell alcohol there, but that has recently been changed and they are having even more trouble with alcohol. Rent there is exorbitant and a lot of the housing is substandard. You didn't mention kids but the local school teaches some classes in Yupik to preserve the language. That can be hard on kids that come only speaking English. All in all I wouldn't recommend it. With your qualifications I would look in Fairbanks or on the Kenai Peninsula if you can't find positions in Anchorage.

Edit: Also there are no trees. None.

Last edited by tundratess; 07-21-2017 at 08:12 PM..

Old 07-22-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundratess View Post
Bethel is a cesspool, I'm not kidding in any way. Seriously, don't drink the water. Plumbing there is recent and people have been dumping 'honey buckets' for generations that have leeched into the ground water. The people are nice enough, but you won't be welcomed into the inner circle of the community unless you're Native. Neither one of you will make any friends by going into law enforcement. The village was 'damp' for a long time, meaning you couldn't buy or sell alcohol there, but that has recently been changed and they are having even more trouble with alcohol. Rent there is exorbitant and a lot of the housing is substandard. You didn't mention kids but the local school teaches some classes in Yupik to preserve the language. That can be hard on kids that come only speaking English. All in all I wouldn't recommend it. With your qualifications I would look in Fairbanks or on the Kenai Peninsula if you can't find positions in Anchorage.

Edit: Also there are no trees. None.
Thanks! I really appreciate that! While we aren't looking into Alaska for the higher salaries (more for the fact that there are better career opportunities that will come quicker) and some other reasons, we do not want to hate where we are living. My husbands looked into Fairbanks and actually just found a position in Kodiak that looks really good. Clearly, I wouldn't know, but to me, Kodiak seems more desirable than Bethel.

If we do end up in Bethel, I have talked to the school district (I actually do have a teaching Bachelors degree) and I think they may hire me to teach forensics. We don't have kids yet, but do want to start a family and are waiting until at least one of our careers is permanent with decent benefits. The issue with Fairbanks and Anchorage for my husband at least is that the government gives preference to lawyers that have worked in the bush for two years. But we are certainly trying.

I appreciate knowing what Bethel is like, if we are there I am determined to make the most of the situation. That being said, it's nice to have a better idea of what we are talking into.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:26 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,258,346 times
I think anyone here would encourage you to pursue Kodiak.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I think anyone here would encourage you to pursue Kodiak.
Why? To me it looks better because it's a little bigger, the weather seems to be nicer, and things are cheaper (they even have Walmart). Is there more to it than that?

Old 07-22-2017, 01:06 PM

1,103 posts, read 412,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mledwards87 View Post
Why? To me it looks better because it's a little bigger, the weather seems to be nicer, and things are cheaper (they even have Walmart). Is there more to it than that?
Those are good reasons. Also there is a larger, more diverse, and welcoming community. Better selection for shopping including dining out, much more interesting community to explore and it's a beautiful area.

By comparison, Kodiak is a humble resort, Bethel a Gulag camp.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:31 PM

21 posts, read 10,553 times
Kodiak is beautiful and there is a good diverse population where you will be able to find your niche. It's a real town, not just a village.

Old Yesterday, 02:53 AM

2,680 posts, read 2,160,932 times
Kodiak is also on the marine highway, so you're not dependent on air travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska