U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 09:52 AM

1,505 posts, read 838,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mledwards87 View Post
Thanks! I really appreciate that! While we aren't looking into Alaska for the higher salaries (more for the fact that there are better career opportunities that will come quicker) and some other reasons, we do not want to hate where we are living. My husbands looked into Fairbanks and actually just found a position in Kodiak that looks really good. Clearly, I wouldn't know, but to me, Kodiak seems more desirable than Bethel.

If we do end up in Bethel, I have talked to the school district (I actually do have a teaching Bachelors degree) and I think they may hire me to teach forensics. We don't have kids yet, but do want to start a family and are waiting until at least one of our careers is permanent with decent benefits. The issue with Fairbanks and Anchorage for my husband at least is that the government gives preference to lawyers that have worked in the bush for two years. But we are certainly trying.

I appreciate knowing what Bethel is like, if we are there I am determined to make the most of the situation. That being said, it's nice to have a better idea of what we are talking into.
We have friends in Kodiak. They love it. Is it considered the bush though? I'm not sure how things work down that way.
Also, be prepared for high rent there. Just as high as Bethel I am sure. We were told they base rent off BHA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 05:41 AM

8 posts, read 2,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
We have friends in Kodiak. They love it. Is it considered the bush though? I'm not sure how things work down that way.
Also, be prepared for high rent there. Just as high as Bethel I am sure. We were told they base rent off BHA.
Unfortunately it's not considered bush. I was really hoping it would be. It does look like we will end up in Bethel. At least on a temporary basis. That being said, I'm still optimistic. It's tough because we are both professionals and I am relatively specialized. I would LOVE to be anywhere near Anchorage or Fairbanks because I know there is opportunities for me, but he's got to do what he can to break into the law market.

Anyways, assuming things turn out as we predict, we are going to make the most of it. I figure we'll look at Bethel as an adventure we'll never forget. I have talked to young professionals that have spent time there over the past handful of days and it seems to be a bit of a career stepping stone for a lot of people. From what I hear, the key is to make sure it really help your career, (in my husbands case it would), and be determined to make the most of it.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:59 AM

6,204 posts, read 10,766,564 times
Just do it! I took the police officer job in Barrow sight unseen back in 1984. Had never been there before. Culture shock for sure. For being such a small town, 3500 population then, the workload was crazy. Drunks, domestics, assaults, thefts, all that stuff every single day! After a year I was ready to get out. Learned a lot about the culture and gained valuable experience I probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere else.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:24 AM

8 posts, read 2,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Just do it! I took the police officer job in Barrow sight unseen back in 1984. Had never been there before. Culture shock for sure. For being such a small town, 3500 population then, the workload was crazy. Drunks, domestics, assaults, thefts, all that stuff every single day! After a year I was ready to get out. Learned a lot about the culture and gained valuable experience I probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere else.
Thanks for that, I think that makes a lot of sense! I am glad you feel you got a lot of valuable experience out of it.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:49 AM

66 posts, read 20,732 times
There's an article on todays Alaska Dispatch News about Jesuit volunteers in Bethel. I know that is totally different than what you are planning to do but might be an interesting read for you all the same.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-life/2017...it-volunteers/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska