U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 11:14 AM

1,994 posts, read 911,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I'm definitely looking into it some more. I love Whitehorse. It's always reminded me of a more scenic, cleaner smaller version of Fairbanks with a lot less riff-raff.
I agree. It's a great opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 01:58 PM

7,730 posts, read 7,387,316 times
An appropriate song for free land.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z1b54jl7_OA

Old 08-01-2017, 07:32 PM

8,813 posts, read 6,087,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
I do. I'm not sure if canadians are really nicer or just tamer. Keep in mind Canada strictly regulates firearms or even speech.

Your wife being a RN should put you on the fast track to immigrate here. I know several RNs from europe for who it was the case.
Firearms, yes. Speech? Not quite. We have hate speech laws. You have to push pretty hard for it to be an issue.
Like distributing pamphlets advocating violence agains an identifiable group. Which means you have to be PROMOTING hatred to that group.

It's greatly misunderstood by Americans.

Criminal Code

Old 08-01-2017, 10:55 PM

768 posts, read 232,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Firearms, yes. Speech? Not quite. We have hate speech laws. You have to push pretty hard for it to be an issue.
Like distributing pamphlets advocating violence agains an identifiable group. Which means you have to be PROMOTING hatred to that group.

It's greatly misunderstood by Americans.

Criminal Code
Speech? Yes. As an example, you can be convicted of a crime for saying unpopular things in Canada, having nothing to do with advocating violence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_v_Keegstra (Anti-semitism and holocaust denial prosecution)

In America, you can deny the holocaust if you want, rail against any type of person or group in the most vile way, you could make a newspaper dedicated to it if you like.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:07 PM

3,033 posts, read 1,452,276 times
I thought you could apply to be a Canadian citizen if you could prove your family originally came from Canada?

And there's still free land in the lower 48. Just google it.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:43 AM

403 posts, read 121,033 times
Rodentraiser .

No. In order to TRY to claim Canadian citizenship, at least one of your parents has to have been a Canadian citizen at the time of your birth. Where you were born is not relevant... the Parent -child relation is important. Aunts, Uncles, Grand Parents are not in any way a claim to citizenship in Canada.

Immigration to Canada. There are a number of paths.

Short term temporary work permit, usually for one year. Limited and specific in scope. Skilled trades application. Requires that the applicant be a certified skilled trades person, with a minimum of five years of verifiable specific work experience. That one is based on specific current requirements. It changes every 60 days, according to national unemployment figures and needs .

Permanent Resident application... The HARDEST class to achieve, because it is the only path that leads to becoming a Canadian citizen. This class requires the highest education levels, and the highest points score ( a score of at least 70 out of 100 }. Any application with a score less than 70 is automatically rejected. Canada is looking for University graduates, with a 4 year degree in a STEM subject. or skilled trades persons.

There is a NAFTA visa that is aimed at filling high skill positions where a suitable Canadian can not be found ( after advertising nationally to no avail ). NAFTA visas are usually for a fixed 2 or 3 year period, then the US person goes home. They are usually high tech engineers and or University profs.

So to sum up. IF you have a superior academic achievement and specific real world experience, you are going to be snapped up under the Express Entry program. If you are a skilled and certified trades person with at least 5 years of direct experience, you should apply for the temp work visa, to get here. That work permit can be upgraded to a PR application after 2 years in country.

What we don't want........Unskilled manual labourers, hamburger flippers or the like.

. We expect immigrants to be self supporting, and be immediately employable when they arrive here.

To that end, PR applicants will be required to prove that they have at least $25,000 in cash , to support themselves when they arrive in Canada. In addition ALL types of applications require a 100 percent clear Police record search, with no felony convictions, at all. A medical examination paid by the applicant , and a vaccination record that is up to date. No bankruptcies, and no child support orders.

It is not easy and you have to earn citizenship here. We do not give it away, to any one. Americans who apply are not going to get any special deals, everyone from all over the world competes on a level playing field. We do not have a Immigration lottery. It is a competition. We select the best.

link to the Canadian Immigration general information website.

Immigration and citizenship

Questions / Ask me here.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:29 AM

8,813 posts, read 6,087,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
Speech? Yes. As an example, you can be convicted of a crime for saying unpopular things in Canada, having nothing to do with advocating violence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_v_Keegstra (Anti-semitism and holocaust denial prosecution)

In America, you can deny the holocaust if you want, rail against any type of person or group in the most vile way, you could make a newspaper dedicated to it if you like.
You can not be convicted about saying unpopular things in Canada. You can deny the holocaust all you want. The line drawn is promoting it actively.

Keegstra was a school teacher. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Like I said, Americans really don't understand the law, or even how hard it is to get a conviction, let alone get a case into a court room. The evidence has to be outstanding.

Anyway, this really should be in a Canadian forum since you have to be a Canadian to get this so called free land. Americans who wish to immigrate are most welcomed to apply to become Canadians...some do and love it here. I'm pretty sure they don't feel their freedom of speech is infringed.

Last edited by Natnasci; 08-02-2017 at 10:52 AM..

Old 08-03-2017, 03:29 PM

3,033 posts, read 1,452,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Rodentraiser .

No. In order to TRY to claim Canadian citizenship, at least one of your parents has to have been a Canadian citizen at the time of your birth. Where you were born is not relevant... the Parent -child relation is important. Aunts, Uncles, Grand Parents are not in any way a claim to citizenship in Canada.

Immigration to Canada. There are a number of paths.

Short term temporary work permit, usually for one year. Limited and specific in scope. Skilled trades application. Requires that the applicant be a certified skilled trades person, with a minimum of five years of verifiable specific work experience. That one is based on specific current requirements. It changes every 60 days, according to national unemployment figures and needs .

Permanent Resident application... The HARDEST class to achieve, because it is the only path that leads to becoming a Canadian citizen. This class requires the highest education levels, and the highest points score ( a score of at least 70 out of 100 }. Any application with a score less than 70 is automatically rejected. Canada is looking for University graduates, with a 4 year degree in a STEM subject. or skilled trades persons.

There is a NAFTA visa that is aimed at filling high skill positions where a suitable Canadian can not be found ( after advertising nationally to no avail ). NAFTA visas are usually for a fixed 2 or 3 year period, then the US person goes home. They are usually high tech engineers and or University profs.

So to sum up. IF you have a superior academic achievement and specific real world experience, you are going to be snapped up under the Express Entry program. If you are a skilled and certified trades person with at least 5 years of direct experience, you should apply for the temp work visa, to get here. That work permit can be upgraded to a PR application after 2 years in country.

What we don't want........Unskilled manual labourers, hamburger flippers or the like.

. We expect immigrants to be self supporting, and be immediately employable when they arrive here.

To that end, PR applicants will be required to prove that they have at least $25,000 in cash , to support themselves when they arrive in Canada. In addition ALL types of applications require a 100 percent clear Police record search, with no felony convictions, at all. A medical examination paid by the applicant , and a vaccination record that is up to date. No bankruptcies, and no child support orders.

It is not easy and you have to earn citizenship here. We do not give it away, to any one. Americans who apply are not going to get any special deals, everyone from all over the world competes on a level playing field. We do not have a Immigration lottery. It is a competition. We select the best.

link to the Canadian Immigration general information website.

Immigration and citizenship

Questions / Ask me here.
Thank you - that's good info. The only thing I have is an entry paper from Canada listing my grandfather when he and his family emigrated here to the US.

..."Unskilled manual labourers, hamburger flippers or the like."

That would be me! Although I can justifiably say I'm the fastest money counter in the west, but I doubt there's any call for that outside of drug dealers wanting someone to verify their cash. LOL Guess I'm out of luck.

So a question then, how did all the people dodging the draft manage to stay in Canada and become citizens in the 60s? I should look that one up.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:46 PM

1,536 posts, read 1,306,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
Wrong. "Hate speech," as defined in Canadian law, has a very specific and narrowly-defined meaning; shaped by both statutory and case law. The Keegstra decision is cherry-picking to fit your predetermined belief; you would do well to also consult R. v. Zundel (holocaust denier, acquitted), R.v. Ahenakew ("I hate Jews," acquitted), and Lund v. Boissoin (Boission hates gays, acquitted).

All of these people said unpopular things, and yet, they were not convicted. There is a lot more to Canada's hate speech laws than, "you can be convicted of a crime for saying unpopular things in Canada, having nothing to do with advocating violence." I'd suggest that you (or anybody else interested in such things) consult a Canadian criminal lawyer for more details on an often-misunderstood-by-Americans area of Canadian criminal law.

Note that my knowledge as to the above comes from my practice as a Canadian lawyer. Human rights and criminal law under Canada's constitution are my practice areas. In other words, I'm pretty sure I know this stuff thoroughly.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:37 AM

403 posts, read 121,033 times
Rodentraiser.

A few facts first.

If an American had the appropriate education and skills to be approved as an immigrant to come to Canada in that time period, they could do so. Canada had no draft law . Therefore , we didn't classify being a draft resister as being a criminal.. Military deserters were a completely different matter. Those we deported back to the US.

In practice, many of the US people who came to Canada went back as soon as the US government relaxed the regulations. Others stayed here, and when they had been here for a long enough period of time,they applied for Canadian citizenship. Provided that they met the regulations re residence, no criminal record in Canada,and swearing to be of good behavior and up hold our laws, they could be sworn in by a Citizenship court Judge.

That made them just as much a Canadian as I am.

Just to be clear... Canada accepted persons who met our standards for legal immigration. And if they met the criteria to become citizens here they could do so.

XXX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska