U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 09:12 PM

21 posts, read 6,824 times

Advertisements

With just me and the kids, I don't intend to stray very far from pavement, honestly. Not the first few weeks anyways. I will also be really straight up with whatever dealer I see next week for a test drive, and, if I'm still considering it when I get up there, with the rental place up there, in my experience and expectations, and see what they recommend. I have seen and participated in the leveling and hookups and such, with direction, on trailers, but not on my own and not on motorhomes.

I like the concept of more flexibility with an rv, and less potty stops, but I'm not bent on it, and the cost factor isn't huge, so I will plan a route first, I think, and then see if an rv makes that significantly easier, or what. I will primarily be looking for what is easiest overall. If an rv beings me more stress or hassle than potty stops and extra hotel bookings, then it's out. Low key is my new middle name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 11:43 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,867,341 times
Is this just a two week vacation or a move? It seems it's some sort of extended vacation that's going to last through winter?

If you don't have to work, save your time and money checking out anchorage and cross it off your list. The only point of being in anchorage is for a high paying job. I'd at least start with the valley if I wanted to be convenient to city amenities with a little less craziness. Or somewhere down on the Kenai. Or pretty much any smaller town in Alaska over anchorage if jobs wasn't a concern. I'd normally recommend Fairbanks area, but not that time of year.

I'd also normally recommend the RV to check things out but time is working against you here. It's going to be getting chilly when you arrive and winter is coming up fast. If you're staying through winter I wouldn't waste too much time and money with a RV. I'd be trying to find a place to stay. September can actually be a good time to find rentals as the seasonal people will be moving on soon. Winter time in Alaska is not conducive to RV living or trying to find a rental and you're basically coming up when it's starting.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:09 PM

6.7, this is a sabbatical year, expecting to like Alaska living and buy a house next summer and make it a permanent move. I am also thinking that my timeline is likely going to be too tight to mess around with an RV.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:59 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,407,043 times
I actually love the weather in the Fairbanks area around September - October. It's just not pretty at all after the leaves turn and fall off. In fact, a person might go right ahead and call it ugly. Is that why you'd not recommend it, 6.7, or some other reason?

Old 08-03-2017, 03:07 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,867,341 times
I love September up here, and October isn't too bad, I just think winter is coming up fast . Fairbanks area isn't the best place to be come soon without a solid plan of trying to secure a place to live sooner than later. I didn't recommend it because I don't recommend an interior winter on anyone .

Old 08-03-2017, 05:44 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,407,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I love September up here, and October isn't too bad, I just think winter is coming up fast . Fairbanks area isn't the best place to be come soon without a solid plan of trying to secure a place to live sooner than later. I didn't recommend it because I don't recommend an interior winter on anyone .
Word.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:34 PM

Notes taken. Visit if I have time, but don't look for winter rental there!

I will hopefully be able to solidify plans by the fourth week of August. Hopefully have news by the 23rd or 24th. Then I can make commitments and book things.

Can't find my milepost, which is bothering me. I know right where I keep it, but it's not there. Going to have to go on a search.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:43 AM

88 posts, read 29,602 times
If you go the RV route I'd recommend Great Alaskan Holiday. They are more expensive than ABC but have newer, nicer RVs. They also require you to sit through a 20 min video on how to drive an RV and what to watch out for. First 2 weeks of September should be fine. After that you run the risk of freezing weather which can damage the water lines in an RV.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:35 AM

2,433 posts, read 3,561,049 times
https://www.adn.com/alaska-life/trav...-the-internet/
Here's another RV rental option.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:39 PM

I'm ditching the rv rental idea. I'm feeling like I need to not "lollygag" at all, and just be very focused on finding a good rental for the winter. i am starting a new thread with a couple of new questions. Thank you all for the suggestions, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska