U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:06 PM

15,526 posts, read 24,634,066 times

Advertisements

With temperatures below zero there is not problem taking your car or truck through a carwash, specially around Fairbanks where the air is dry when very cold outside. The only problem with the carwashes is having hairline scratches on the paint, something that will happen sooner of later (I have a few of those on my Toyota Corolla).

I also agree with others about electric windows as these can be a pain when very cold out depending on the vehicle. I had a 2009 Subaru Forester, and for some reason the window motors were very weak whenever the temperature dropped below zero, so I would be afraid to leave the window down at the local drive-though coffee stands. But that's not a problem with my wife 2010 Rav4 V6, nor with a 2001 Silverado we have, nor with the Corolla.

A common problem with some of the American trucks like my Silverado is that the window regulator (the motor and rest of the assembly) can malfunction (cable breaks, or the motor craps out). If it happens when the window is open, the only way to close it is to lift the glass by hand up to the channel on top, and tape it shot temporarily. But if you are handy with tools, a new regulator assembly takes about a 30 minutes to an hour to replace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 10:29 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,288,324 times
For what you're looking for, I *do* think Toyota is the way to go for a gas engine. Just not a Tundra. Well, definitely not the 5.7L v8

I am (still) a huge fan of Tacomas and 4Runners. And I don't think the Tundras with smaller motors get quite as bad of gas mileage... do they still make a v6 Tundra? Anyhow, I would absolutely look into Tacomas and 4Runners. I think someone else said RAV4... I have never had one, but I know they're fine vehicles. Subaru also a good choice.

I really don't think you could go wrong with a Tacoma, 4Runner or a Subaru.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:40 AM

1,920 posts, read 851,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I also agree with others about electric windows as these can be a pain when very cold out depending on the vehicle. I had a 2009 Subaru Forester, and for some reason the window motors were very weak whenever the temperature dropped below zero, so I would be afraid to leave the window down at the local drive-though coffee stands. But that's not a problem with my wife 2010 Rav4 V6, nor with a 2001 Silverado we have, nor with the Corolla.
Interesting. My old Toyota has always had this problem, and I thought it must be the lower voltage in cold weather, a shrinking frame creating more friction, weak motors or some other unfathomable explanation.

Since those vehicles of yours don't have this issue, guess it's primarily weak motors.

Good thing it doesn't get really cold here, or the damn things wouldn't work at all. In cold weather they're frequently frozen shut from all of the moisture here anyway.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Interesting. My old Toyota has always had this problem, and I thought it must be the lower voltage in cold weather, a shrinking frame creating more friction, weak motors or some other unfathomable explanation.

Since those vehicles of yours don't have this issue, guess it's primarily weak motors.

Good thing it doesn't get really cold here, or the damn things wouldn't work at all. In cold weather they're frequently frozen shut from all of the moisture here anyway.
Yes, I imagine that on your side of the pond window freezing can be a problem. Just don't force them open with the window switch when they are frozen to the frames and channels. All that does is to overheat the motors.

It's also possible that the window frame on your Toyota vehicle puts a little too much drag on the motor (the frame is too tight aver the glass). A simple way to find out during the summer is to open and close the window a couple of times when it is completely dry (no rain or water on it), then which the window closed spray some water with a spray bottle all over the glass, and not open and close the window. If it opens and closes faster than when dry, you have your answer right there.

The driver's side window on my Silverado is slower than the passenger's side for the reasons stated above, but the motor is not weak like my 2009 Forester. It opens and closes a little slower, but still does when cold out.
-------

It would be nice for electric windows to have a back-up manual feature, a handle or something, just in case.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:09 PM

3,332 posts, read 1,529,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
It would be nice for electric windows to have a back-up manual feature, a handle or something, just in case.

It's called a heated garage!

Old 08-12-2017, 01:19 AM

712 posts, read 423,644 times
Garages are for toys and storage of everything the wife doesn't want in the house not cars. I haven't been able to get a car in my 2 car garage in about 30 years.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:50 PM

445 posts, read 109,554 times
I just retired, relocated, and the new house has a heated garage. My Subaru and I daydream about the luxury of no frozen anything at the crack of dawn this winter. I made draconian sacrifices just to make sure that car actually gets to LIVE in it. Even evicted a massive predatory-looking snowblower to a shed out back. The previous homeowners kept a lot more area cleared because they owned a 5th wheel and huge diesel pickup. My neighbor has a truck plow but needed a new snowblower, so we've already bartered a deal. He can use the blower any time he wants in exchange for plowing my short driveway if we get a big dump. The Subaru can easily handle less than that. So, I won't have to wrestle with, listen to, smell, feed, or repair that monster.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:57 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,288,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
I just retired, relocated, and the new house has a heated garage. My Subaru and I daydream about the luxury of no frozen anything at the crack of dawn this winter. I made draconian sacrifices just to make sure that car actually gets to LIVE in it. Even evicted a massive predatory-looking snowblower to a shed out back. The previous homeowners kept a lot more area cleared because they owned a 5th wheel and huge diesel pickup. My neighbor has a truck plow but needed a new snowblower, so we've already bartered a deal. He can use the blower any time he wants in exchange for plowing my short driveway if we get a big dump. The Subaru can easily handle less than that. So, I won't have to wrestle with, listen to, smell, feed, or repair that monster.
My fantasy in life is to have a place with heated garage that I can park in all the time, so me and my 4Runner can enjoy those same luxuries. Alaskan women definitely dream and fantasize about different things than other women!!

I am envious... good for you!

Old 08-12-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
It's called a heated garage!
No need to open the windows in a heated garage. But I was referring to being able to close or open an electric window if the system fails under an emergency. In this case a window crank would be quite handy.

That said this 1988 GMC Sierra has manual window openers, a HI/LO/2WD/4WD transfer case, and a 5-speed manual shifter. I seldom drive it, so maybe I will sell it one of these days. Has a 350 TBI motor with maybe 12,000 miles on it, headers, dual stainless muffler tips at each side, electric radiator fan, and so on.

Interior:

Last edited by RayinAK; 08-12-2017 at 10:39 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Garages are for toys and storage of everything the wife doesn't want in the house not cars. I haven't been able to get a car in my 2 car garage in about 30 years.
One side of the garage is used for my wife to park her car, and the other side I use to park my side-by-side UTV, a snow blower, and several other toys. I park my daily driver in front of my side of the garage, and two trucks in the back driveway of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska