U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 11:15 AM

2,425 posts, read 3,497,509 times

Advertisements

With a few weeks to go, Alaska schools are short 245 educators | Alaska Public Media

'With only a few weeks to go until the new school year begins, about half of Alaska’s school districts are still looking for a couple hundred teachers and special educators to hire.

Imagine you’re fresh out of school, broke and hunting for your first teaching job. Then a school district offers you a job paying $70,000 a year. Afterward, you meet Joshua Gill from the Lower Kuskokwim School District in rural Alaska and he offers you a job paying $52,000 a year.
“For a kid coming out of school, that’s an $18,000 difference,” Gill said.
$70,000 dollars a year for a new teacher may be surprising but Gill said that actually happened when he was recruiting in the Lower 48 this spring. He is in charge of hiring people for his district. He said school districts offering more money get to take their pick.
“And then you’ve got to convince somebody to come to bush Alaska where we have some teacher housing that doesn’t have running water,” Gill explained. “They have honey buckets, (a) gray water system and (you’re) trying to convince them to live in a village thousands of miles away from their families.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 11:41 AM

1,501 posts, read 838,760 times
I wonder what district offered $70k for a first year teacher with a bachelors. Lol
I call BS. Typically the starting salary is quite a bit more up here. My wife made $4k less than I was makimg in GA. She was a 1st year teacher with a bachelors. I was getting paid with 8!years experience and a masters. But 70k?

The living environment is a major turn off for many people.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:56 PM

188 posts, read 99,599 times
I'd say there's not many paying 70k at the entry level. Besides, the teacher shortage have anything to do with the massive layoffs? A bulk of them probably found other employment rather than the uncertainty of hoping they'd be hired back in the fall and now the districts are realizing there's not as many waiting to be rehired as they'd thought there'd be.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:39 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,342,380 times
That sounds like bs to me. $70k my sweet a55!

Old 08-09-2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Exactly. I have a master's plus 36 (highest amount allowed) with 7 years (more but district only gave me credit for 5 years) and I'm not making $70k.

There has always been a shortage in the bush. Hard to get people to come out. Housing conditions. Reputation. It takes a special person to do the bush teaching thing.

On the road, the layoffs definitely contribute to it. Also, the hiring process is late in the game after the state finally approved funding. The cost to move up here is high and not reimbursed (we were offered $1500 for our whole family with our previous district) and our current district gave us nothing.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:45 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,342,380 times
Many moons ago in a past life, I went back to school after being transferred to Pensacola, FL... I was short two credits for my bachelors and a minor in math and one in geology. When I went to enroll, the guy was trying to talk me into the teaching program, getting my credential, or something like that.

The bait that was supposed to be so enticing? He told me in a secretive tone, like we shouldn't let too many people know, that there was a shortage of math and science teachers in Florida and they were hiring first year teachers for **twenty seven thousand a year**... and he smiled at me, wide-eyed, like that was something I shouldn't pass up.

:-o whaaaat?? I was making a few times more than that with - technically - no degree at all. Uhh, thanks, but no thanks, bro.

Florida is a million miles away from here and with the differences in the economies, you might as well be on Mars. But I have a hard time believing that any public school teacher is being paid that much that easily.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:54 PM

28,010 posts, read 33,718,061 times
I just looked at Salary.com. It lists the starting teacher salaries for half a dozen Alaskan school districts. They are all $60K to above $61K. Wasilla is $61122.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I just looked at Salary.com. It lists the starting teacher salaries for half a dozen Alaskan school districts. They are all $60K to above $61K. Wasilla is $61122.
Not correct. More like 50k with a masters.
Here is the actual negotiated agreement for Mat-Su school district. They allow 2 or 3 years experience. Brand new first year teacher makes 46k.

https://www.matsuk12.us/cms/lib/AK01...0-%2015-17.pdf

Old 08-10-2017, 09:21 AM

2,935 posts, read 2,291,276 times
Alaska doesn't have a teacher shortage - it has a teacher retention problem. You can only play that lay-off then rehire game so many times before your best people realize they can just go elsewhere.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:27 AM

2,935 posts, read 2,291,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I bet they're counting salary AND benefits. Which is silly...health care and retirement contributions are great, but you can't eat them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: