U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,360 times

Advertisements

Hi my name is Carina,

and instead of a gap year between high school and uni I wanted to take just 6 months and move to Alaska in the winter. I am aware of most of the challenges I will be facing, but for now my first concern is to find a rural small town I could be living in. My main interest is moving there to work with sledge dogs or help out with dogs or any sort of animals something like that. If anyone who lives in Alaska maybe has any ideas or can help me out somehow that would be appreciated GREATLY

Carina xx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 07:54 PM

2,222 posts, read 1,860,701 times
Fairbanks area and outside of willow, is where I'd guess the majority of sled dog kennels are at. Put an ad on CL that you want to take care of sled dogs. There are probably some people out there with plenty of sled dogs that need to have their **** scooped up daily and would love some help. You could possibly even get lucky and get some very primitive accomadations like a dry cabin to stay in for exchange of labor. Or try the dog mushing section on alaskaslist.

That would probably actually work but you'd have to weed through any shady people. So by that aspect, I guess it could be less than ideal and dangerous. A safer bet would be to google sled dog rides or sled dog kennels in Alaska, and call or email them. Maybe they'd be hiring and at least then you'd know they would be somewhat legit having a website and all.

Other options, Chena Hot Springs always seems to be hiring for all sorts of jobs everytime I've been there. Also also coolworks.com

Also if you're a young single girl, just find one of the many lonely Alaskan men with more money than they know what to do with and no one to spend it on. I'm partially kidding about that.

Good luck.

Last edited by 6.7traveler; 08-11-2017 at 08:16 PM..

Old 08-11-2017, 08:33 PM

19,006 posts, read 24,535,635 times
Everything he said ^ A little more:

G was asking on FB about people wanting to help out for Yukon Quest. She looks in here sometimes; maybe she'll see this and have some ideas. She knows people in the business and will be able to steer you away from the shady ones at the very least.

Can you legally work in Alaska? Thinking about applying somewhere like Chena Hot Springs -- they have sled dog rides and kennels. A friend used to work there, but she moved on. You'll be paid and have a place to live.

There are other lodges that maintain dog teams; I would definitely advise going that route rather than individual mushers...

when I was younger, I was going to go work at a kennel during the winter because I thought it would be fun, but the musher started sending me dick pics so I decided against it. There are some real creeps out there.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,360 times
thank you two both so much for your help, I"ll be sure to look out for some rich guys

Old 08-11-2017, 09:39 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,402,514 times
Wild and Free was just looking for winter help the other day (yesterday??). And yeah, Mile 101 Checkpoint is a good place to look, too.

Always people in Two Rivers looking for help.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:05 PM

2,222 posts, read 1,860,701 times
Honestly, taking care of sled dogs is horrible. The only fun part is if you're the musher and are actually mushing them at the time. Otherwise it's definitely not glorious nor rewarding work. They are more animal than pet. Entering a dog yard for the first time can be an intimidating intense experience. Many, if not all, of them are literally chained up for a huge percentage of the time. They crap in their little 20 foot (or smaller) circle and roll around in it and then you have to clean it up. Everyday or the crap will build up to epic proportions. If one gets loose, there could possibly be a very bloody fight to the death break out. It's up to you to break it up as it would be your fault if one got off and caused the fight in the first place. Not fun. They bark, howl and otherwise make noise 24/7 so don't expect much sleep. They get super worked up and excited whenever someone comes near the dog yard as they know they are about to get fed or unchained. They'll jump all over you while you're trying to feed them. Then they just crap it out, roll around in it again and want more food. Repeat, repeat, repeat..... I was responsible for about 10 sled dogs for 4 months or so. Around month two, I vowed to never own a dog ever, especially not a sled dog, and I really love dogs.

I also just noticed that you're from Australia so disregard any of my Craigslist advice. Too many flaky shady people. There's always lots of people from different countries working at Chena Hot Springs and I think that may be your best bet. Make sure you get the job feeding the reindeer or chickens or somethig over the sled dog caretaker though.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:38 AM

2,433 posts, read 3,556,209 times
You could look here: https://www.coolworks.com/alaska-jobs/

Old 08-12-2017, 05:46 AM

174 posts, read 130,473 times
This is where most of them post for help. Some of them do have you help to practice actually racing the dogs.

Under wanted click on help/handlers. There are lot's of positions in Alaska posted right now.
https://www.sleddogcentral.com/class...fiedindex.aspx

Old 08-14-2017, 11:51 AM

2,739 posts, read 7,334,098 times
Hi Carina. I don't know if they are hiring, but you might inquire of this outfit in south-central Ak (warmer winters): https://ididaride.com/ And if they do hire you, maybe you could stay in one of their cabins. Seward is a small rural town so it may fit your requirements.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:30 PM

936 posts, read 725,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

when I was younger, I was going to go work at a kennel during the winter because I thought it would be fun, but the musher started sending me dick pics so I decided against it. There are some real creeps out there.
Yes. I would go so far as to tell you to not under any circumstances move to a remote location to work for a male. In Alaska, especially, NEVER DO THIS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska