U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2017, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Alexander Archipelago
2,513 posts, read 1,327,567 times
Reputation: 2436

Advertisements

A new feature, or at least one I've just noticed, in their weather forecast pages.

Juneau, Anchorage and Fairbanks have reported values, but none of the smaller communities in SE I checked had them.

Here it is defined: "We track six criteria pollutants considered harmful to public health and the environment. Those include carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide, ozone, particulate matter (10m or less and 2.5m or less), as well as sulfur dioxide.

The Air Quality Index (AQI) is the official index for air quality across the United States. The AQI ranges from 0 to 500. The higher the AQI value, the greater the level of air pollution and the greater the health concern."

A typical "good" score is in the mid 20's, such as found in Anchorage or Portland, Oregon today.

Juneau's is 3 today.

I wonder how much these values change when cruise ships are in port. Probably significant in an area such as downtown Juneau or Skagway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2017, 01:36 PM
 
428 posts, read 238,514 times
Reputation: 319
Wood stove smoke is one of the worst air polluters there is in a community. A number of physicians in the country have said breathing in wood stove smoke is worse than smoking cigarettes.
Would think wood stove pollution is more of a villain in Anchorage or Portland, Oregon than cruise ships.

I live in a warm area most of the year with lots of cruise ships and zero people have wood stoves. Based on the The Air Quality Index rates, the area has one of the best air quality in the USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2017, 04:55 PM
 
37 posts, read 14,108 times
Reputation: 63
And where pray tell, might that location be friend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2017, 06:47 PM
 
428 posts, read 238,514 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by The0racle View Post
And where pray tell, might that location be friend?
It is on this list:
https://www.thrillist.com/news/natio...st-air-quality
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2017, 08:16 PM
 
Location: NP
589 posts, read 825,311 times
Reputation: 582
And you who lives in a "warm area", what do you suggest for those of us who live in a not-so-warm area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2017, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Alexander Archipelago
2,513 posts, read 1,327,567 times
Reputation: 2436
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
I live in a warm area most of the year with lots of cruise ships and zero people have wood stoves. Based on the The Air Quality Index rates, the area has one of the best air quality in the USA
The rate is probably in the 20's on a typical day, with automobiles being the primary contributor to the minimal particulate matter.

At least during spring/summer, coastal Alaska communities are probably lower than that most of the time, due to fewer cars, with rates rising when the diesel powered cruise ships are in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2017, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Inland Empire, WA
2,133 posts, read 1,629,575 times
Reputation: 1688
Check those values in Anchorage next spring, after breakup, before street cleaning. The dust in the air from a winters worth of sanding the roads is terrible! Another thing to consider is the lack of air movement during winter months when high pressure dominates, air stagnation is common in Fairbanks and Anchorage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2017, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
16,069 posts, read 26,777,704 times
Reputation: 11698
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
Wood stove smoke is one of the worst air polluters there is in a community. A number of physicians in the country have said breathing in wood stove smoke is worse than smoking cigarettes.
Would think wood stove pollution is more of a villain in Anchorage or Portland, Oregon than cruise ships.

I live in a warm area most of the year with lots of cruise ships and zero people have wood stoves. Based on the The Air Quality Index rates, the area has one of the best air quality in the USA
That's what the EPA and local agencies tell you, but in reality a lot of other factors come into play in Fairbanks, Anchorage, Juneau, and so on. Half or more of the air pollution in these areas come from wild fires, automobiles, boilers and furnaces, power plants, and from a myriad of tools and things that use internal combustion motors. But particulates in the air we breath is not cause only from wood smoke.

Wood stove smoke, depending on how much of it you breath, is as bad as tobacco smoke, or pot smoke, or any other smoke from any other plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2017, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
16,069 posts, read 26,777,704 times
Reputation: 11698
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
Check those values in Anchorage next spring, after breakup, before street cleaning. The dust in the air from a winters worth of sanding the roads is terrible! Another thing to consider is the lack of air movement during winter months when high pressure dominates, air stagnation is common in Fairbanks and Anchorage.
To make matters worst for Fairbanks, there are very intense air inversions taking place several times during the winter months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2017, 03:15 PM
 
428 posts, read 238,514 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That's what the EPA and local agencies tell you, but in reality a lot of other factors come into play in Fairbanks, Anchorage, Juneau, and so on. Half or more of the air pollution in these areas come from wild fires, automobiles, boilers and furnaces, power plants, and from a myriad of tools and things that use internal combustion motors. But particulates in the air we breath is not cause only from wood smoke.

Wood stove smoke, depending on how much of it you breath, is as bad as tobacco smoke, or pot smoke, or any other smoke from any other plant.

Is there a big subculture of drivers driving coal runners and modified loud exhaust systems in these areas of Alaska? Pickup truck owners illegally removing Federal mandated emission components. Very harmful to the air the drivers breath in, drivers behind them,the community people's respiratory systems. Add everyone using wood stoves.

Its easy to blame cruises, plane fly overs, because they are impersonal targets for being air polluters. In my experience and viewpoints: it is the people in a community that are the biggest causes of local air pollution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top