U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:23 AM

Location: Currently living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska
144 posts, read 665,650 times

Advertisements

And here they come, paddling back to the area of the camp sites. This whale went south, they finally found it after one of the most bizarre conversations I have ever listened to.
They have to connect all of the umiaqs. to tow this back to the camp sites, an incredible distance of 9 miles. paddling into the wind singing the whole way.

The first thing that must be done, when a whale is received, is that the flippers and flukes are cut off. These are "whisked" back to the village immediately.

The church bell is rung over and over again. The flippers are taken to each of the homes of the elders for careful and close inspection. The "tail" of the whale is put into the " siglauq" underground food storage dug deep into the permafrost.

That "tail" will stay there and ferment until the fall time, when the first snowfall to cover or blanket the entire village, then that is brought out, for another celebration.

Myra Lisbourne rushes down to the lead, to help these captains carry that flipper, she is over 70 years happy, How ? can she possibly do this with no gloves on at all is beyond my ability to understand many things, about these people.

This is a 48 foot whale ! One Ton Per Foot. Now if you think that these people are going to walk away from this main prize, absolutly ludicrous.

If you look down to the right, under the water. you can see the huge piece of blubber that has already been removed. This is the norm. We have waited out here for over six weeks. Now it is time to feast on that whale. This large piece will feed everyone one small portion. We cannot eat this in the traditional manner, yet. it is too fresh, so it must be boiled.

Now all the necessary gear that is used to rig this whale and pull it out of the water can be brought down to this location or this camp. Everything has been ready, but we never know at which camp the gift will occur at.

Now the real work begins, here is the most danerous part. look at the ice,
Rate this post positively

Old 03-17-2008, 07:48 PM

Default Pulling a Whale upon the ice.

.. .. .. it extremly dangerous work. Everything must be "rigged" correctly !!

Here is the situation: A 48 TON Whale is about to be taken from the sea, and placed upon this ice using people power only.

Ponit Hope is the Oldest of ALL of the VILLAGES in Alaska.!! They are the only village that still does EVERYTHING in the old traditional manner and customs. These are very proud people of their heritage. They know EXACTLY what I am doing, this has been going on with me/them for decades.

Once that whale is rigged and ready to pull, using people power only !!! A "strain" is taken or applied to that rope.

This is the dangerous part! ANYTHING can happen and often does . .. .. .. in many unexpected ways.

Barrow Alaska 1991 NO PHOTOS ( dont ask)

This was the exact same situation. Getting ready to apply that strain and PULL !

The whaling captain, watching, checking everything out, noticed the "strain" on the block & tackle. He turned around to look in back of him and he noticed three women (white) from the hospital, standing too close to his right side. He motioned to them. GET OFF THE WAY, move back, move back, get off the way, He pointed to them, he told them GET OFF THE WAY. they started to move, and when the captain turned around, they stopped. THEY WERE WARNED get out of the way, get way back. THEY DIDN'T OBEY!! The O-ring snapped, and took off, like a bullet, two of them women were instantlly decapitated, everything went into the third woman. she lived. but she will never regain from her vegtable like, shocked condition.

THIS IS SERIOUS WORK UP HERE. when people do not listen and obey.. THEY DIE.

Prayers were said. the mess cleaned up and EVERYONE.. "BACK TO WORK"

This is life in the Arctic.. .. "the past is gone" we have to deal with the "present" even under the most difficult of circumstances !!

Old 03-18-2008, 12:11 AM

3,539 posts, read 6,770,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik_Imaje View Post
The whaling captain, watching, checking everything out, noticed the "strain" on the block & tackle. He turned around to look in back of him and he noticed three women (white) from the hospital, standing too close to his right side. He motioned to them. GET OFF THE WAY, move back, move back, get off the way, He pointed to them, he told them GET OFF THE WAY. they started to move, and when the captain turned around, they stopped. THEY WERE WARNED get out of the way, get way back. THEY DIDN'T OBEY!! The O-ring snapped, and took off, like a bullet, two of them women were instantlly decapitated, everything went into the third woman. she lived. but she will never regain from her vegtable like, shocked condition.
"Bull****." That's the response that I got from someone I called on the phone to verify my memory of the facts of that incident (I didn't live in Barrow then, but I've heard the story many times from different people).

Three people were injured, only one of them had extensive injuries, and she died (Daphne Perez, from chest injuries). One of the other two women did have broken bones, but her life was not at risk.

The women were not in the way and they were not being told to move.

Life here is exciting. We don't need to add to it to make the stories interesting. I see from a google search that you've been repeating your fiction about this incident far and wide on many different forums. That is disgusting.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:48 AM

21,365 posts, read 34,067,385 times
Haha, Gussuk tell tall tales, huh Floyd?

Last edited by warptman; 03-18-2008 at 12:56 AM..

Old 03-18-2008, 01:21 AM

3,539 posts, read 6,770,639 times
Default ii-i

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Haha, Gussuk tell tall tales, huh Floyd?
Yup.

Except up here the term is "tunik"! Oddly it is also derived from the concept of Russian raiders.

For those who don't know, gussuk (the "proper" spelling is kass'aq) is the Yup'ik Eskimo word for a Caucasian. It is a corruption of the word "cossack" (in Russian, kass'ak). In Yup'ik (Central Alaskan Yupik) it literally means "stranger", but originated from the Russian Cossacks who were raiding Alaskan coastal areas.

Note that use of those words depends on the context, and I take absolutely no offence at being called either Tunik or gussuk.

But I don't think Warptman meant it in quite the neutral sense... :-)

Old 03-18-2008, 01:35 AM

122 posts, read 538,959 times
As an actual Cossack from between the Caspian and Black Seas, that is a little offensive. There are dozens of ethnic groups between the actual Cossacks and Bering Coast on the Russian side. Interesting that our reputation made it all the way to the North American continent.

Everyone in the entirety of Eastern Europe and Asia have always attributed every evil under the sun to the Cossacks. Gee, you serve the Tzar as mercenaries for a little while and people never get over it!

Anyway, despite the madness and delirious recollections in these threads, there actually is much interesting info for those of us that have always wondered about native life in Alaska.

Add to that all the drama, and it is an anthropological train wreck that is very difficult to stop reading!

Old 03-18-2008, 01:37 AM

21,365 posts, read 34,067,385 times
I'm a quarter gussuk....

Old 03-18-2008, 02:59 AM

Well weill well.. Standing, bowing. and after just constulting many people myself.. GUESS WHAT !!! I have actually made a MISTAKE.

turns out. I am just told. I have heard this so many times. so many times from so many people that people were decapitated...!! I guess I now have to go to every forum and tell them that this is not true.

I have no problem ever admitting when I am wrong

TANIK = white man (Barrow dialect) tunik is a person.. well known in barrow.

see how easy it is to make a mistake.

NAULAUGMI = white man (Pt. Hope dialect)

yes I guess your 100% correct.. it is discusting when some one like myself makes such a terrible mistake.

I do apologize. but I know that is no where near enough..

I will do whatever I can to set the record staright.. and thank you so much for showing me a mstake I have made.!!

Each of the villages has its own dialect. And I am very sure.. I have made other mistakes as well

I welcome anyone.. to pont out anything else I have done wrong..

I guess that justifies having my web site hacked and my data bases destroyed.

but I honestly always heard this story as women being decapitated. that's how it was always told to me.

I guess Charles Stalker Jr.3rd didn't die from that bear.. oh but he did. it was in the papers..

I sincerly with all my heart say I am so terribly sorry for that mistake.

land I will take the time to go to each of the 50 forums and post the same apology !!

I stand corrected SIR.. thank you !!

and for what is worth to the cheering section. most of the natives that have read all of this actually enjoy it.. (go figure) ! thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska