Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:06 PM

7 posts, read 24,923 times

Advertisements

I run a business online (Web design/development/SEO/etc), so employment isn't an issue. However, I don't really know where to go. I absolutely love winter, I love cold, I love snow, I love skiing. I'm tired of living in the hot, humid south. Yes, I understand how cold it gets. I love it. Yes, I know I'm crazy. I prefer to be called eccentric. Or crazy, whatever floats your boat.

Anyway, any suggestions? I've read about the largest towns/cities, but I'd rather hear (read) it from a real, live resident (or a fake, dead one. I don't discriminate).

I'll reiterate. If you were 25, a single guy, able to move anywhere in Alaska (Well, as long as I have internet access. Gotta have my fix, you know, or I'll get the shakes.) where would you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 07:09 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
hahahah...getting high speed internet that your use to might be a bit of a challenge anywhere in AK!!!!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:12 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Think about Girdwood.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
hahahah...getting high speed internet that your use to might be a bit of a challenge anywhere in AK!!!!
As long as it's possible, I don't mind if it's a challenge, or costs more.

Now reading up on Girdwood, thanks.

Edit: Girdwood seems more like a wonderful playground than a place to live. Although it does lean me a bit toward Anchorage.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:24 PM

You might have to go with your own satellite to get what you want. It can be iffy but usually works all right.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You might have to go with your own satellite to get what you want. It can be iffy but usually works all right.
That bad? For my work, I need reliable internet. Does Alaska have t1? What about urban areas such as Anchorage? Hmmm, must check into this...

Old 09-28-2010, 07:29 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,511 times
Can you take a vacation for a couple weeks or more to check it out? Might give you some ideas about what things are like, how far apart things are (sure you can look at maps, but actually driving the roads is a lot better), what different areas look like, the different attitudes in different towns, etc.

Also, what do you like to do for fun? Do you need an urban area nearby or would you rather live several hours away?

Old 09-28-2010, 07:30 PM

Yeah, check into it, it can be a problem in some areas. Don't know what they've got up around Anchorage these days. So called high speed internet through the usual carriers here in SE is pretty much a joke though.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:35 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,653,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdjrkns View Post
I'll reiterate. If you were 25, a single guy, able to move anywhere in Alaska (Well, as long as I have internet access. Gotta have my fix, you know, or I'll get the shakes.) where would you go?
If your Internet use includes games, the latency anywhere in Alaska will kill you. There is some possibility that Juneau could have an ISP that connects directly to Seattle via fiber, but every other location goes through Anchorage and even via fiber you're at a disadvantage.

Otherwise, the urban areas of Alaska that are connected via fiber have sufficient bandwidth available for streaming audio or video. That is as opposed to locations connected via satellite, where that is possible but expensive in the larger towns (Barrow, Bethel, Nome etc.) and simply impossible in the small villages.

if video is not important to your business, almost any place you are likely to want to live will have sufficient Internet bandwidth. The normal residential network feed does not allow operation of a server, but you probably would not want to anyway.

Now, in the relatively near future some of this is likely to change. One company is supposedly (lots of great noise early last winter, but no action this summer) working on three submarine fiber cables. One would ring Alaska, then they would connect to Europe across the Arctic Ocean and the third would go to Asia.

If that ever does happen, the North Slope will become the most ideal place in the entire world for a massive data center. In addition to having the lowest latency to just about anywhere, the massive cost of cooling and powering such an operation are very low here (electricity in Barrow is generated with natural gas from local wells, and we have the lowest average ambient temperature of any location in the US).

Old 09-28-2010, 07:38 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
can honestly tell you that the internet (supposed high speed) in Kenai area blows! slooowwww!!! I edit photo's and post to a storage site and it took foreverrrrrrrr....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska