U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 08:25 PM

7,650 posts, read 5,407,484 times

Advertisements

We just booked a Juneau to Juneau small ship cruise next August for our anniversary. I don't want to ly all the way to Alaska without seeing more of the state. We can spend up to a month in the state

I'm thinking about flying into Anchorage for a week before. Then flying to Juneau for a few days then taking the cruise.

We are National Park hoppers, I realize that it is almost impossible to do the AK parks in 3-4 weeks. The cruise does get up close and personal with Glacier Bay. I'm guessing that the big ship lines have all the ride passes for Denali

So I'm interested in drive and fly/ train/ ferry suggestions

Thanks for any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 11:27 PM

16,567 posts, read 16,233,140 times
Alaska is expensive as a tourist from hotels to car rentals, it could cost a small fortune to spend a significant amount of time here. I'd recommend checking out Denali National Park, it's really gorgeous. Denali Morning Mist Hostel and Cabins has reasonable prices for their private cabins. You have to book in advance during the summer as they fill up fast.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:07 AM

2,558 posts, read 3,930,083 times
The City Data forum is more geared for relocating to Alaska. You might try some research at the TripAdvisor forum for Alaska: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...49-Alaska.html It's more aimed at people coming for a visit.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
The City Data forum is more geared for relocating to Alaska. You might try some research at the TripAdvisor forum for Alaska: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...49-Alaska.html It's more aimed at people coming for a visit.
I understand that your CD Forum might be directed toward relocation. I am following TripAdvisor

Whenever I have asked for vacation help in any CD state forum, I have received better information than any other site. Most recent Oregon, Idaho and Washington last month. In the past Utak and AZ. Or FL to OH.

I know that CDers have a wealth of knowledge that they (we) are willing to share. Almost every time I have asked, I received a ton of info and my entire itineraries have been built on CD info

Again, any help will be apprecited

Old 09-04-2017, 01:14 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,169,989 times
A month long vacation in Alaska during the summer will be crazy expensive. Get you a tent and buy a beater. Hit the roads and go.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
A month long vacation in Alaska during the summer will be crazy expensive. Get you a tent and buy a beater. Hit the roads and go.
We are way too old for a tent. Our idea of camping is a Holiday Inn Express

Old 09-04-2017, 07:36 PM

841 posts, read 610,590 times
Rent a motor home or a pickup with a camper on it.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:50 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,169,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
We are way too old for a tent. Our idea of camping is a Holiday Inn Express
Music Man gives good advise about the RV then.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:56 PM

2,803 posts, read 1,499,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
..We are National Park hoppers..
..but don't want to camp. Well then, you can scratch Katmai and Gates of the Arctic National Parks off the list, save for flight seeing.

Glacier Bay and Denali are more spectacular, in my opinion, anyway.

My favorite way to see Denali is to fly in and bus out. Ideally, this would be done on a day when Denali is "out", which the odds do not favor. Kantishna roadhouse is a great spot to stay deep inside the park, if you can afford it, and if you're really loaded look into staying at the Denali North Face lodge.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:49 PM

20,423 posts, read 26,550,284 times
Kantishna Roadhouse and then maybe up to Fairbanks or down to Homer. Are you the type who likes to constantly move around while on vacation, or do you prefer to spend a little time in each place?

My personal vacation preference would be to fly to Anchorage, rent a car and go up to Kantishna for a few days, and then down to Homer and spend a few days in an Air B and B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or