U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 395 times

Advertisements

hey guys I recently started a story set in Alaska. i try to add as many insider details as possible to my stories so as to paint a more vivid picture, but i don't really know much about the place. could y'all give me a few fun facts? what do people do in the winter, would McCarthy see the sun in winter? does it get dark in summer? where do the winds blow from? what are some lesser known facts about Alaska's great outdoors?
I've settled on the Gakona/Glennallen area as the setting, so i'm mainly looking for facts about those parts. every bit helps, stories are also welcome if you don't mind me changing them up a bit and using them. i seriously doubt anyone will ever read the story so don't be shy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 09:40 AM

963 posts, read 813,204 times
You should probably spend some time reading through existing threads in the Alaska forum. Much / all of what you're asking, and much much more, is already there for the mining.

Best of luck with your story

Old 10-20-2017, 10:18 AM

2,547 posts, read 3,887,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo422 View Post
I've settled on the Gakona/Glennallen area as the setting
Have you ever been there? Seems hard to write about someplace a person has never been?

Old 10-20-2017, 01:21 PM

20,302 posts, read 26,344,282 times
So you're just doing this for fun? There's lots of information online about the places you're interested in. I don't think anyone here has much experience with the Glennallen area.

FYI, insider details never really ring true if you're writing about a place you don't have first hand familiarity with -- especially a place like Glennallen.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-20-2017 at 01:33 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 04:45 PM

3,879 posts, read 2,900,810 times
You might do well to make up an interior Alaska town based on Glennallen - similar demographics, location, services, etc. but then you don't have to worry about people reading it and being like NOPE, THE TESORO HAS TWO BATHROOMS or whatever. Dana Stabenow took that approach with her mysteries and I think it was very effective.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:26 PM

3,763 posts, read 1,385,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo422 View Post
hey guys I recently started a story set in Alaska. i try to add as many insider details as possible to my stories so as to paint a more vivid picture, but i don't really know much about the place. could y'all give me a few fun facts? what do people do in the winter, would McCarthy see the sun in winter? does it get dark in summer? where do the winds blow from? what are some lesser known facts about Alaska's great outdoors?
I've settled on the Gakona/Glennallen area as the setting, so i'm mainly looking for facts about those parts. every bit helps, stories are also welcome if you don't mind me changing them up a bit and using them. i seriously doubt anyone will ever read the story so don't be shy!
As for weather and daylength info, if you do a search for climate or weather statistics for Glennallen the sites usually give the averages, temps, precip, prevailing wind directions and speeds and daylength by month. You can also get some general info on activities and what Glennallen is like from the city web pages. Haven't lived there myself.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:37 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,342,638 times
Here's a story idea that will sell millions on amazons ebook store; you can thank me later.

The well liked, clean cut, prominent town doctor and respected businessman local actually has a secret sinister side. He randomly picks up unsuspecting college aged adventurous traveler hitchhikers, pretends to help them out by giving them a ride, but actually drives them far off the beaten path to his remote cabin and locks them up there permenantly for deadly medical experiments and for his own personal pleasure. He has many people locked up out there and brainwashed into never even wanting to leave. The latest couple he tries to kidnap figures out something is up early on and plots their escape. The boyfriend dies during the escape attempt, but the girl escapes through miles of wilderness to tell her story and bring the doctor/secret kidnapper to justice. Unfortunately for her, the local doctor/kidnappers brother happens to be the sheriff and believes nothing the woman says. So she spends her remaining days spouting crazy rants that no one believes or takes seriously but are actually true.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:54 AM

20,302 posts, read 26,344,282 times
My truck broke down in Glennallen once when it was something like -40.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:04 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,342,638 times
The only redeeming factor of Glennallen is that it has an overpriced overcrowded gas station that everyone is forced to refuel at due to geographical isolation. Its far away from any jobs or industry making it the prefect place for crazy unstable people to live in. Not a bad setting for a scary story.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:39 AM

840 posts, read 597,923 times
There are 2 stations! One at the intersection of the Richardson and the chevron in town. Both in city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or