U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 04:01 PM

3,539 posts, read 6,562,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik_Imaje View Post
I can assure you that many more than 3 people go out on the fall whale hunt.
Here's a picture showing several crews assisting in towing a whale last fall. Count 'em. The average here is actually about 4. One boat had a crew of 2, a couple had 3, one had 4, and two had 5 (counted from this image and several others taken as they brought their whale ashore).

Old 04-30-2008, 04:19 PM

Location: Currently living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska
144 posts, read 651,759 times
Well George & Maggies Huge boat (biggest one in Barrow) is not in that photograph,

George received ONE, THE BROWERS RECEIVED ONE, ADAMS received the other one I believe. .Ten crews went out.. that's over 100 people !!

I know for a fact that George and Maggies crew had over a dozen people on it.. Whaling from the shore is not an accurate way to do a photo essay with such bizarre facts.. and misrepresentation.

You typed in this statment Mr. Davidson :
Quote:
The fall hunt is different, as they use power boats from shore and only perhaps three people go out.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:35 PM

29 posts, read 101,330 times
Your stories are so interesting! But know that I would never 'take' something from a people knowingly and not give something back. I would love to work, learn and laugh with those folks. Keep sending pics if you have them. I will be in Bethel by June 9, but probably will not be able to go up to Barrow for that festival. Maybe next year...

Old 04-30-2008, 07:15 PM

Well Breezy,, if and when you get to Barrow.. Look us up.. we are very easy to find. We will do all we can to make your visit a memorable one.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:04 PM

Default Eye See You !

Old 05-04-2008, 08:34 PM

Default This is how.. .. ..

.. a whale is towed !

17 umiaqs tied together, paddling nine miles, against the wind, w/ 27 tons of food. Singing all the way !!

It is true, that in Barrow they do use power boats, but that image above is not towing a whale. it doesn't take that many power boats to tow one whale.

George Ahmaogak takes three at once using his one powerful boat or craft.

The two largest boats in Barrow are owned by George Ahmaogak. And Jacob Adams.

The two richest men, have the two biggest boats. That is good. each of them help in a huge way to the entire commuinty. I know each of them, and we have been friends a lot of years.

George was the most popular mayor for four terms, Many want him to run again. He was the ONE who made indoor plumbing a reality in the early 90's

George is mentioned in more books around the world, than any other Inupiaq Eskimo that has ever lived.

I was part of their crew last fall.

Point Hope is the oldest of all villages and the only one that does everything in the old traditional manner.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:56 PM

Default Umiaqs; Ugruk skins drying on racks

The frame of the umiaq, still burined in snow, awaiting for the skins to be prepared, to skin and make these crafts sea worthy, It takes 5 or 6 Ugruk skins to cover an umiaq, (oo me ack) (oog rook). These wooden frames are all hand made, the first and most important part of this boat is the front edge, usually traditionally made from the stump of a tree, found on a beach.

This method is found and explained in many of the books available, in the Tuzzy Library.

Walking around the villages you can tell which home is the house of a whaling captain, just by what is outside of these homes. Looking up we can see what is fresh and about to happen with skins. This is the time of year for hunting and havesting skins. Drying them out, soaking them, stretching them, and repeat the same procedure for many days / weeks.

Here is a fun tip, that most people do not knowo, I was just told about this recently when Elders from Point Hope were visiting us here in Barrow. Ron Oviok has told me all about these two famous whale bone arches in Barrow.

It is perhaps the #1 most photographed site in all of Barrow.

The Jawbones of the BowHead Whale.

These bones were first put up, in 1964, after many people from Barrow saw these same huge bones in Point Hope, People from Point Hope came up to Barrow to dig and set and show them the proper way to set these up in this manner.!! Adiga Tikigaq !

Add a little not so good attempt at being creative, and I this is the result. These were all taken in 1991, I was hired by UIC construction for 23 days to record and document all of the 23 different contstruction projects that were on going in Barrow. It was a fun time, James Okakok was my driver, extensive photographs were taken at the drilling sites and the ICE ROAD.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:39 AM

This has to be the dumbest stupidest thing, any one individual has ever attempted to do. This is beyond bizarre. How can anyone be this much of an idiot ! ?? this is documented, it is no exageration, but I have a picutre or two to show you and explain what happened in Prudhoe Bay, 1997 I beileve was the year. The company involved was City Electric no affiliation with City Data

An apprentice electrician for the IBEW (Union) was sent to prudhoe bay to work, Against the wishes of the Head of the Entrie apprentiship program, In fact the Head of the apprentice program quit. when they would not heed his demands. You will not send that worker to Prudhoe Bay, He doesn't listen, he is accident prone. Well someone important over rode that apprentice directores wishes, the apprentice was sent to prudhoe bay to work for City Electric. The director quit.

In Prudhoe Bay they were cutting ditches to bury high voltage electrical cable THEY HAD A SAFTEY MEETING.. .. eveyrone in attendance was told very plainly and sternly, do not cross the ditch, in front of the cutting machine, take the time, to walk down to the back of the machine and then cross the ditch. Under no condition was anyone to cross in front of the machine, even if you were 100 feet from the front of the machine, do not cross the ditch , in front of the machine, simple instructions that any idiot can understahd, especially an apprentice electrician, this is a no brainer command and warning to everyone.

simple right ? NOPE !! A huge investigation took place. heads were going to foll over this one, That apprentice director did the right thing, in quitting. He saved his bacon. big time.

This kid walked up to the front and was watching it.. digging.. he waited until the operator turned around to make sure he was driving 'straight' (cutting the ditch straight),, t his stupid apprentice tried to jump over the blade, the ditch collapsed and he fell right into the blade at the bottom of the ditch !! There was nothing left of him !!!

Strange but true tales of the bizarre in the Arctic !!

An oil drilling rig, just outside of Barrow off of the Ice road HEADING east, toward Prudhoe Bay. Native corporations have a huge stake in drilling operations here in the Arctic Arctic Slope Regional Corporation (ASRC) owns a refinery in Valdez Alaska - Petro Star, I worked there and did all the high voltage stress cones in 1992. when petro star went online, Every person in the entire North Slope Borough region (all villages) Everyone got a check for 5k. familes with 10 members received a hefty 50 grand for one dividend.

This year the Alaska Permanent Fund will be the largest ever paid out dividend. $$ !! this is very good!!

Old 05-05-2008, 02:21 AM

Default Working At home

Working at home is a great way to make money and extra income, It is very easy to do. No special skills are needed to begin, just the will and desire to 'create'. If you treat this as a regular job and do the work, the money pours in, and on an every day basis. No more waiting a week or two for funds.

In Ivory ring is perhaps very simple to make, but there is one trick that most people are not aware of. If you make this 'ring' and use a dremel tool to shape and cut and polish the ivory, when it is finished, drop it on a wooden

floor and it will break. Now make the same ring and do not use any dremel or eny electrical tools. Use files and sand paper only, when this ring is finished, you can slam it hard against a wooden floor, and it will bounce, it will not break. using an electrical device of any type will re-arrange the molecules in the ivory. tips & tricks !! anyone can do these simple steps, and generate extra income, no matter where you live. As I said before it is very easy to buy and purchase ivory, or jade or any of the speical materials that are available. All you have to do.. .. is begin !!

some samples of cross cuts of fossil ivory found in Point Hope.

The colors and patterns of all of the elements of the sea are absorbed as the ivory is bashed around in the ocean. for thousands of years. Fossil ivory is differentr in Point Hope than it is in Barrow. In Barrow the ivory just sits in sand, it is very brittle, and the colors do not penetrate with the unique designs that are well known from the ivory in Point Hope, as the currents are extremly swift in this particular area where we find it.

No two pieces of fossil ivory are ever the same. Each one is unique in its own particular design or pattern.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:04 AM

Default Taking a long trip .. .. ..

Another adventure to a far away land.. .. I just love coming across children playing, I love to capture them unaware.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska