U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:52 AM

471 posts, read 1,163,545 times

Advertisements

Majik_Imaje, and Floyd-- Thanks for the stories and pictures of the artic. Please keep them coming!!!

Old 05-05-2008, 09:56 AM

471 posts, read 1,163,545 times
Do you guys have any stories or picts of Polar hunts or encounters of problem polar bears?

Old 05-05-2008, 12:23 PM

Location: Currently living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska
144 posts, read 651,654 times
Default Polar bear - Nanauq

Well lets pause here for a moment, (pun intended)

Danger warning: POLAR BEARS are not soft cuddly cute animals, they are ferocious beasts of prey that are extremly dangerous and very unpredictable.
There is much you do not know about these animals, this short segment will teach you much about this magnificent animal, that should never be underestimated.
ALL bears.. .. are left handed, they will always strike with the left PAW first!
Even after a polar bear has been killed, that bear can still kill that hunter if he is not careful when that bear is opened up.
The liver must be burnt and destroyed, anything that eats this will die!

Admiral Perry on his expedition to the North Pole lost 3 members of his crew due to attempting to eat a polar bears liver, It is saturated with millions of units of Vitamin A. This is extremly toxic and deadly.
when that bear has been opened up for gutting, skinning, etc.. A hunter must be extremly careful, not to get any of that "juice' on himself, gloves must be worn. Great care must be taken when cutting the liver out of the animal. the tubes must be tied to prevent leakage of this "JUICE" it contains tooo much, Vitamin A and just by getting some on your skin it will kill you!
When the hunter is finished with the procedure of gutting that animal, any clothing that has "juice" on it must be burned and destroyed !
Barrow Alaska 1940's Vincent Niigak was gutting a bear, and all was well and finished, His gloves were removed and burnt. His hands were cold and he brought up his hands to warm them by blowing on them close to his mouth. Unknown to him at the time of this event. The tiny-est speck of juice touched his lip.
He Lived to tell about it in a very unusual way. He lived for many decades but he stood out in a most peculiar way.
Eskimo's are darkskinned and with black hair. Vincent's appearance was white as snow. His skin, his hair. ALBINO. pure white skin, pure white hair. Everything was bleached white by that small miniscule amount of vitamin A on his skin.
Everyone in Barrow knows of this famous hunter, He died in the late 1980s I believe. I have never had the pleasure to meet this famous man, but many have told me the same story in each and every village. His claim to fame was well known all over the area.
A polar bear can run at speeds of over 40 miles per hour, they can attack without notice, out on the ocean ice. They are ferocious predators. Each month, certain women must get off the ice. go home. come back later in a week or so. get off the ice. you present too much of a danger out here for everyone.
That bear can smell blood for many miles, these bears are extremly clever and will stop at nothing to eat, anything.
Seals are their main food supply. A bear will sit over a breathing hole in the ice and cover his nose and eyes with its paws, and wait for a seal to surface to breathe. One quick look around by the seal, and it is all over,.. ... ... .. burp!
BILLLY WEBER WAS OUT ON THE OCEAN ICE; and a polar bear came around the corner and ran towards Billy at full speed.
Billy turned and ran. he had a .22 rifle with only one bullet left. he took off running, he had no choice but to run.. that bear was gaining on Billly as he ran for his life. Other hunters out on the ice saw this event unfold, but were too far away to offer any assistance. There is only one place to shoot a polar bear to kill it.
that one vital spot is in the ear. While running for his life, with that bear quckly gaining on Billy he merly pointed that rifle back as he ran and took the shot.. .. ..
.. .. Billy lived to tell about this and everyone up here knows of this famous event.
That bear was that close, because Billy waited, and waited until the last possible second to point it at the ear and take the shot while on the run. That bear went down.
A very close personal friend in Point Lay Alaska, My electrical apprentice, Charles Stalker Jr. III was not so lucky. A polar bear was going after his pregnent girl friend. Charles distracted that bear away from her, and armed with only a knife, and a very thin jacket, that bear literallly cut him in half with the swing from the left paw. The villagers came out and blasted that very skinny bear, but much of Charles had already been eaten. Dec. 1990 sob!
1950's Allan Rock was out on the ocean ice. Same predicament.. A polar bear was charging him, armed with only a large knife, Allan was successful and jumping on that bears back and taking him down the hard way.!!!!!
During the 1970's it was LEGAL for the white man to hunt the polar bear in Alaska.
A permit had to be obtained and it was good for only one day. The cost of the permit was 10,000 dollars, This practice had to be discontinued because too many of the great white hunters were shooting polar bears from the planes they chartered.
Polar beat meat is the most delicious meat I have ever tasted in my life.
It is jet black, grainy like old gnarled wood, but it is so sweet and tender, 10 times better than the best prime rib I have ever tasted. In fact it was the ONLY time I had ever asked for seconds at a meal, and all at once everyone responded NO!
Scientists are puzzled at all the recent drownings of polar bears. They say it is because of the huge distances between ice packs, that the bear cannot swim that far. That is not the real reason for bears drowning, no.
The real reason for their drownings is they have no fear, they will attack a sleeping walrus on the ocean ice. A walrus will sleep on its back with head back revealing the vital neck region. when that bear pounces on that walrus, the walrus merely lowers its tusks around the bears head and rolls over into the water bringing the bear down to huge depths !

Polar Bears were recently put on the endangered species list and then quickly taken off that list. We are only allowed to take them down as a last resort to protect innocent lives here in the village. Each year a few bears will enter the village. Bears stay on the ocean ice pack, sometimes they wander into town.
We do our very best to get them out of town, back onto the ocean ice. Sometimes
that is not possible and we have to take them down quick, due to the fact there are children outside in the village. This year three bears entered town, two of those bears had to be taken down quickly, as they were trying to gain access into homes.. A mother with three cubs entered town.. We were successfull in getting that mother and those cubs, out of town back onto the ocean ice.
The bear and the meat is the responsibility of the hunter, the skin is worked on by the women. It takes many women to perform a "Native Tan" on the skin using very sharp Ulu knives. This can take as much as ten hours or more.

These women work hard to scrape that skin clean, this is not an easy task to accomplish. Sally Killigvuk, the mother of the hunter with the polar bear. Elizabeth Oviok (postmaster) work hard with these other women. Six - Eight women will spend the entire day, working on this skin, when that skin is cleaned, then it is put into the ocean, tied up to soak for a week or two, then it is placed up on a rack in the strong north winds to dry, for many months.

Well we live a simple life in a very dangerous place, under the harshest conditions known to man on the entire face of the earth. We would not have it any other way.
Believe it or not, YOU are all invited to take part in whaling festival next June in Point Hope !! A three day non-stop event held every year (coming soon).
J.J. Russell Lane, displays the skin of his very first polar bear.
J.J. caught two whales this year! His first, and His second.

Khristopher Nashookpuk caught these two bears, in fact his girlfriend took down the big one.!!
Actually, they caught three brown bears in two days.

Grrr... Grrr.. you ain't so tough !! Grrr.. Grrr.
These dogs just have to show how tough they are, when a dead animal is hung or brought into the village.

Well I truely hope that you found this all "bear-y" interesting !
Lots more to come, lets go back to the ocean ice and see what happens when a whale is received !!

Old 05-05-2008, 12:44 PM

Lilly Frankson
bunbun72
I loved your pictures and stuff on Point Hope, as you can see I知 from Point Hope but now live in Atqasuk. My grandparents are the late Alec and Elaine Frankson, and the daughter of Clement Frankson Sr. and Susie Frankson. I would love to see more pictures of my family, I had to laugh out loud when I saw one of my baby sister. I致e been on the computer over 6 straight hours not wanting to miss anything. I知 glad I browsed the internet (I was browsing for pictures of John Denver in Point Hope because I was just about 3-4 years old and I vaguely remember myself on stage with him) I致e never heard of him bad mouthing my hometown and my relatives before,so I知 really glad I did and found that out. The one that really ticked me off was that he said it on public television. For that, I hope he rots. (I知 sorry, letting out some steam) Well I知 looking forward to more of your pictures and I値l be passing on your web site to family and friends.
Take care and God Bless.
From PhotoZ, 2008/05/05 at 3:30 AM

Old 05-05-2008, 03:56 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,471,323 times
So what's going on with these bears if the ocean ice pack is melting like the WWF commercials say it is? Surely the pictures of the mother bear & the cub just make you want to hug the stuffing out of them.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:33 PM

First of all , the media hype about global warmng is being exageratted and blown all out of proportion

This is a MUST to Read & See

those two short videos say much more than Al Gores' movie hype !!

I think this all about Global Governance new world order

hugging a polar bear ?? that would end up in a tragic mess!! Yeah Polar Bears look cute and cuddly but they are ferocious beasts of prey.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:07 AM

10,478 posts, read 13,860,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik_Imaje View Post
First of all , the media hype about global warmng is being exageratted and blown all out of proportion

This is a MUST to Read & See

those two short videos say much more than Al Gores' movie hype !!

I think this all about Global Governance new world order

hugging a polar bear ?? that would end up in a tragic mess!! Yeah Polar Bears look cute and cuddly but they are ferocious beasts of prey.
Yeah sorry, but it's not hype. You're refuting the years of research by hundreds of scientists? It's a well-known fact, evidence w/ pictures even, that the polar ice caps, glaciers, etc. are receding due to warming.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:23 AM

explain why in the last four years we have had the best ocean ice in over 30 years ?:

watch those two videos and you will be surprised !!

Old 05-06-2008, 10:40 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,471,323 times
Assuming that you both are right, let's just say that in this current climate cycle that the polar bears don't have any reachable sea ice next year. But there is record breaking snow on the North Slope. Do the bears just go out swimming till they find food or die, or do they hit the garbage dumps on the North Slope?

I don't find polar bears cute or cuddly. They're jaws with paws & we are food to them.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:08 AM

3,539 posts, read 6,561,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Assuming that you both are right,
Not a good assumption. Where anyone would get the idea that we've had the best ice for Polar bears in the last 4 years is beyond me. Each year the icecap has receded farther away during the summer months, and now is beyond the swimming range of Polar bears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
let's just say that in this current climate cycle that the polar bears don't have any reachable sea ice next year. But there is record breaking snow on the North Slope. Do the bears just go out swimming till they find food or die, or do they hit the garbage dumps on the North Slope?
That probably does not mean what you think!

While the multiyear (old) ice that forms the "permanent" ice cap is melting rapidly, and each summer gets farther from Alaska, there is still ice cover on virtually the entire Arctic Ocean for at least part of each winter. And while Polar bears do not hibernate in the same way that Brown bears do, they do have the same functionality available. Polar bears around Hudson Bay in Canada have been using that to survive several months without ice (and therefore without access to the seals they require to maintain or gain weight).

If the warming trend continues it is likely that areas where ice is no longer available for extended periods of time (say for more than 8 or 9 months) may become uninhabitable by Polar bears. That might include, for example, both Hudson Bay in Canada and all of the Alaskan Arctic Ocean coastline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska