U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-06-2008, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Currently living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska
144 posts, read 651,956 times
Reputation: 66

Advertisements

In 1982 we were 7 miles out on the ocean ice pack in the village of Point Hope, each and every year after that, we got closer to land to go whaling.
During the 1990's we were whaling from the shore. for the enitre ten years. During the 2000 decade it started to go the other way, from 2003 - 2007 we have had the best ocean ice, in decades, last year we were 11 miles out.

so go figure !!

 
Old 05-06-2008, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Barrow, Alaska
3,539 posts, read 6,565,021 times
Reputation: 1829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik_Imaje View Post
In 1982 we were 7 miles out on the ocean ice pack in the village of Point Hope, each and every year after that, we got closer to land to go whaling.
During the 1990's we were whaling from the shore. for the enitre ten years. During the 2000 decade it started to go the other way, from 2003 - 2007 we have had the best ocean ice, in decades, last year we were 11 miles out.

so go figure !!
So how do you figure shore ice has anything to do with Polar bears that hunt from the multiyear pack ice?
 
Old 05-06-2008, 12:27 PM
 
Location: SE Alaska
959 posts, read 2,113,306 times
Reputation: 453
Majik_Imaje:

AWESOME polar bear/etc. pictures. And cool stories from your neck of the woods. You got any more pictures from Barrow you could post in the pics thread or somewhere? I found all that stuff in your post pretty fascinating, especially about eating the bear meat--so it must be pretty different from black/griz meat--because I've had both of them and neither was very good, although the spring black tasted ok when you doctored it up a bit.

Re. global warming/ice: it's interesting that you, actually living there, don't buy into the whole warming thing. Have you seen the ice fluctuate up and down in a cycle as long as you've been there?

While I believe some kind of "warming" trend may be taking place, I sure don't believe it's completely human-caused, or that it's going to decimate polar bear populations. Environmentalists play to emotion, and when we see cute white bears struggling to swim and make it to the next ice pack, we tend to get all gushy...what a cheap tactic. A lot of that footage--ain't what it seems, people! There have always been temperature cycles on the planet and there always will be; and there may be a real natural climate change afoot. But for the most part--it's NATURAL and NOTHING humans can do will stop it.
 
Old 05-06-2008, 12:41 PM
 
Location: um....guess
10,478 posts, read 13,870,109 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post

While I believe some kind of "warming" trend may be taking place, I sure don't believe it's completely human-caused, or that it's going to decimate polar bear populations. Environmentalists play to emotion, and when we see cute white bears struggling to swim and make it to the next ice pack, we tend to get all gushy...what a cheap tactic. A lot of that footage--ain't what it seems, people! There have always been temperature cycles on the planet and there always will be; and there may be a real natural climate change afoot. But for the most part--it's NATURAL and NOTHING humans can do will stop it.
Environmentalists play to emotion & fact...if you don't have emotion, how would people even care about anything?? I guess you could say that any charity & non-profit organization plays to emotion also, but I don't see that stopping people from continuing to donate. What a cheap tactic, stupid saps, hey?? Yes, there've been fluctuating temperatures throughout history, however what scientists are getting at, is that this current global warming trend is happening at a much more rapid rate than in the past & what would happen naturally & this rapid rate is due directly to human consumption, pollution & ballooning population. THAT is what is disturbing, not the fact that it is happening but rather that it's happening out of control & humans don't seem to give a crap about it. I for one do care & I also see the evidence that it is happening & it is in fact happening because of humans consistent need to dominate & consume. I guess you could call me an emotional liberal than right?
 
Old 05-06-2008, 12:49 PM
 
Location: SE Alaska
959 posts, read 2,113,306 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Environmentalists play to emotion & fact...if you don't have emotion, how would people even care about anything?? I guess you could say that any charity & non-profit organization plays to emotion also, but I don't see that stopping people from continuing to donate. What a cheap tactic, stupid saps, hey?? Yes, there've been fluctuating temperatures throughout history, however what scientists are getting at, is that this current global warming trend is happening at a much more rapid rate than in the past & what would happen naturally & this rapid rate is due directly to human consumption, pollution & ballooning population. THAT is what is disturbing, not the fact that it is happening but rather that it's happening out of control & humans don't seem to give a crap about it. I for one do care & I also see the evidence that it is happening & it is in fact happening because of humans consistent need to dominate & consume. I guess you could call me an emotional liberal than right?


Right! Not that that makes you a bad person. By the way, not all scientists are on the same page here. Recently a team came out and pointed to the fact that fluctuating (and CYCLIC) ocean currents are probably one of the biggest factors behind our current warming trend. And humans do have a need to consume--I agree--to solve this, I think we should simply eliminate some humans, what do you say? Ah, forgot...terrorists are one step ahead of us there. They're on it already! Cool...Actually, I sincerely believe our main problem is population--BUT--what do we do about that? Suggestions?
 
Old 05-06-2008, 12:51 PM
 
Location: um....guess
10,478 posts, read 13,870,109 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
Right! Not that that makes you a bad person. By the way, not all scientists are on the same page here. Recently a team came out and pointed to the fact that fluctuating (and CYCLIC) ocean currents are probably one of the biggest factors behind our current warming trend. And humans do have a need to consume--I agree--to solve this, I think we should simply eliminate some humans, what do you say? Ah, forgot...terrorists are one step ahead of us there. They're on it already! Cool...Actually, I sincerely believe our main problem is population--BUT--what do we do about that? Suggestions?
I say we sterilize the water. Or maybe start a mind-control experiment, something to the effect that people start believing sex totally sucks & it's bad for you, therefore stay far far away from it!
 
Old 05-06-2008, 01:01 PM
 
Location: SE Alaska
959 posts, read 2,113,306 times
Reputation: 453
OMG, I don't know if that one would ever work on me...it'd have to be pretty darn persuasive!
 
Old 05-06-2008, 01:03 PM
 
Location: SE Alaska
959 posts, read 2,113,306 times
Reputation: 453
But then again, I have never had (and doubt I ever will have) any kids, so I must be doin something right!
 
Old 05-06-2008, 01:06 PM
 
Location: um....guess
10,478 posts, read 13,870,109 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
But then again, I have never had (and doubt I ever will have) any kids, so I must be doin something right!
Ha, me either thank god. Here's another campaign idea: Children Are Evil
 
Old 05-06-2008, 01:14 PM
 
Location: SE Alaska
959 posts, read 2,113,306 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Ha, me either thank god. Here's another campaign idea: Children Are Evil
LOL....I know they supposedly bring great joy to their parents, but they usually bring great rage and suffering to others somewhere along the way.

Case in point: I work in dispatch part time and last night I had to answer 5 fake 911 calls by a little first-grade prankster---would have strangled that kid if I could have gotten a hold of her!

Oh well...again, one reason I live in Alaska...population is SPREAD OUT, baby, and pretty thin in rural areas. Love it, looove it! But--seriously, I'm not completely without emotion; I would rather the polar bears did NOT die, so I am hoping that some of the TV shows I've seen recently are as exaggerated as they seem to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:24 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top