U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 11:41 PM

2,529 posts, read 3,803,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk226 View Post
They were cautioned not to drive across the US because of the high likelihood of road closures. Their proposed route takes them entering Canada near Portal, ND?
If they are headed to POW, there's no need to go through Canada. The ferry leaves from Bellingham, Washington. It also goes from Prince Rupert, BC; but why go into Canada if they don't have to? To get into Canada, they'll both need passports and clean records; including DUI's. The cats will all need health certificates from the vet. That's a lot of extra expense for no reason.
And what makes them think that roads in the US will be closed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 12:17 AM

19,772 posts, read 25,855,039 times
^ I think that something was posted about them not wanting to drive to Seattle, idk. Even if they take the ferry from Bellingham, they'll need health certificates for the cats before they can get on the ferry. I agree that Bellingham is probably the better way to go. I think I'd go to Seattle, barge everything up, and just take the vehicle on the ferry. They should know that their cats will have to stay on the vehicle deck, though. For two days.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:47 AM

218 posts, read 131,497 times
We drove from SC to Anchorage with a 26 ft U-haul, 2 dogs and 2 other cars. It was around 10,000 between hotel, food and fuel. My advice if they can don't take a U haul. Keep the cats but get rid of everything else. Car topper or even small towable for the must keeps but if we could've gotten away with that would've been much nicer move U haul broke down our second day out.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:00 AM

3,649 posts, read 2,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakbearcountry View Post
My advice if they can don't take a U haul. Keep the cats but get rid of everything else. Car topper or even small towable for the must keeps but if we could've gotten away with that would've been much nicer move U haul broke down our second day out.
This. You can furnish an apartment with the money saved by not bringing a uhaul. Pare down to necessities, stuff the necessities in the vehicle or vehicles, and just drive up.

Another option is to purchase a small trailer, tow it up, and sell it once here. More cost-effective than a uhaul, but you still end up paying the pile of extra gas and ferry money. It'd better to avoid towing anything at all, at all possible.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:07 AM

Except that unless you want second hand -- and I wouldn't, on POW because of issues such as mold and bed bugs as well as the high possibility that anything purchased on POW is stolen -- there is nowhere to buy furniture. You can get some items from the AP store, but super expensive and extremely limited selection. Maybe Ketchikan, but they'd have to get it over, and I'm still wondering if the barge isn't a better way to go.

Also -- maybe it sounds all Alaska-romantic, but it isn't -- there's a strong outlaw presence on POW. Lots of drugs and alcohol and lots of stealing.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-05-2017 at 09:19 AM..

Old 11-05-2017, 12:21 PM

4,855 posts, read 5,126,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Lots of drugs and alcohol and lots of stealing.
That's another reason to bring very little. When I lived in the crappy part of town back in Michigan, all our furniture came from the thrift store, including a second-hand radio. We didn't have a TV. People broke in, but didn't take anything, and some joker even left us some chairs because we didn't have any, just 4 - 5 floor pillows.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:49 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,080,486 times
The thing about holiday time, is that your family isn't heading to a holiday location.
My advise is to drive to Seattle and barge the goods. Then fly alaska air to their location.
Or come up with the minimum necessities. If the housing is being provided by employers I'd assume it's furnished.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:50 PM

5,131 posts, read 2,685,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocFrosty View Post
I like you, we can be friends.

Doc.

You sure? I'm a former Marine.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:54 PM

5,131 posts, read 2,685,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I can't stress enough that they won't be getting over the border with their cats if they don't have a recent health certificate for each one.

I've never been asked for paperwork. And a health certificate isn't even needed. They're more concerned about rabies vaccination. I would have proof of that.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've never been asked for paperwork. And a health certificate isn't even needed. They're more concerned about rabies vaccination. I would have proof of that.
I've had to show proof every time, but that's been flying and taking the ferry. Perhaps they're more lenient when crossing the border by car, but these people aren't going to be able to reach their destination with getting on a plane or on a ferry at some point.

Travel Policies | Alaska Marine Highway System

Quote:
Under Alaska law, a person may not import or transport any animal into the state unless the animal's owner, custodian, or attendant possesses a valid health certificate and permit for the animal. However, in the case of dogs and cats, they need only be accompanied by a health certificate, unless they are imported from a rabies quarantine area, in which case they must be accompanied by a permit as well.

Penalties for non-compliance may include animal quarantine or prohibited entry of the animal into the state. A health certificate or permit is not required when transporting animals between ports within Alaska. For Alaska regulations regarding importation of animals, see 18 AAC 36.005 et seq.
Some general info specific to dogs, cats, and ferrets:

Pet Import/Export

Quote:
These animals require a current rabies vaccination if three (3) months of age or older and a small animal health certificate issued within 30 days of import. Persons with animals coming from a rabies quarantine area are required to contact the State Veterinarian office in Anchorage at (907) 375-8215 for issuance of a permit number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska