U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 09:26 PM

3,984 posts, read 2,973,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've never been asked for paperwork. And a health certificate isn't even needed. They're more concerned about rabies vaccination. I would have proof of that.
I've always been asked for it with my dogs. They might not ask for it, but that's not a risk that's worth taking IMO, especially since it's easy to get the paperwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 09:39 PM

3,984 posts, read 2,973,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Except that unless you want second hand -- and I wouldn't, on POW because of issues such as mold and bed bugs as well as the high possibility that anything purchased on POW is stolen -- there is nowhere to buy furniture. You can get some items from the AP store, but super expensive and extremely limited selection. Maybe Ketchikan, but they'd have to get it over, and I'm still wondering if the barge isn't a better way to go.

Also -- maybe it sounds all Alaska-romantic, but it isn't -- there's a strong outlaw presence on POW. Lots of drugs and alcohol and lots of stealing.
Quick google search suggests there are furniture stores in Ketchikan that barge large items to nearby ports. That'd get spendy quick for an entire house of furnishings, but for a few big items you'd definitely want brand new (mattress and sofa, at least) it might still be less expensive than bringing items up when you figure in all the costs of hauling, especially since the people here don't have their own truck. Lots of factors both ways - a savvy customer could probably do some research, call around, crunch the numbers and work out what the most cost-effective deal is.

There aren't really shops in my area either. What I couldn't find second-hand for my place when I moved up, I ordered online, keeping an eye out for sales that actually mean free shipping when they say free shipping. I mean, it's cheap prefab crap, but it serves its purpose and it was more feasible for me than spending $10,000+ hauling a full household up. It'd be different if I'd owned heirloom stuff to begin with, or really cared about interior decorating, sure.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:01 PM

20,437 posts, read 26,572,905 times
Costco in Seattle has a department that deals specifically with shipments to Alaska. If I were going to furnish a place, I'd go that route instead of Tongass Trading Company. If all I was going to buy was a bed, I'd probably just go ahead and get it at Tongass. Last time I did that, it came over on the ferry.

People who've moved here recently say they found it more cost effective to pay for a container from Seattle than to pay for a trailer on the ferry. No one seems to buy from Ketchikan much. There's a Facebook page for used items, but I'd avoid that.

If it's a temp. rental, it might already be furnished, but they'll need furniture eventually. Unless they've got heirlooms they really don't want to part with, I'd wait and see how things panned out with the job. They can always order furniture from Ketchikan or Seattle once they get a permanent place lined up.

I've noticed that rentals are a little easier to find these days, but the four cats is still going to be a problem.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-05-2017 at 10:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska