Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 12:55 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,597 times

Advertisements

The name Alaska originates from "Alaxsxaq" (or the anglicized "Alyeska"), which means "great land" in Aleut. Doubt very many white folks are aware of that, although many may refer to Alaska as the great land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 07:03 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
The name Alaska originates from "Alaxsxaq" (or the anglicized "Alyeska"), which means "great land" in Aleut. Doubt very many white folks are aware of that, although many may refer to Alaska as the great land.
Maybe this would be easier to swallow if the word Utqiagak (or however it is spelled) was Anglicized a little like the words Alaska and Denali have been. I mean was the letter Q in the original language anyway? In fact the whole alphabet is of European descent, so why use a Q without the following U as is the case is in English words with Q? Spelling it as everyone has done here has already Europeanized it to a degree anyway.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:25 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Maybe this would be easier to swallow if the word Utqiagak (or however it is spelled) was Anglicized a little like the words Alaska and Denali have been. I mean was the letter Q in the original language anyway? In fact the whole alphabet is of European descent, so why use a Q without the following U as is the case is in English words with Q? Spelling it as everyone has done here has already Europeanized it to a degree anyway.
Yes, if only Alaska Natives would make more of an effort to anglicize their languages

Old 12-06-2017, 07:42 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,802 times
Damn!! Get over it people!!!! It is their village and they can call it what ever they want!!!!!

Old 12-06-2017, 09:06 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Why does it have to be easy for you to swallow?

What's with the sense of entitlement in this thread? Bunch of white guys want stuff dumbed down for them, I guess. I don't get all the whining about not being able to spell it or pronounce it by those who have little occasion to do either one.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:08 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
At this time and age, anybody who can do a Google search can understand what "Alaska" means

Old 12-06-2017, 09:10 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Yes, if only Alaska Natives would make more of an effort to anglicize their languages
Hah! No trouble whatsoever with the word "Dollar" being left as it is

Old 12-06-2017, 09:26 PM

As far as why the Q isn't followed by a U, even Wiki knows the answer to that one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._followed_by_U

Quote:
In English, the letter Q is usually followed by the letter U, but there are some exceptions. The majority of these are anglicised from Arabic, Chinese, Hebrew, Inuktitut, or other languages which do not use the English alphabet,

Old 12-07-2017, 09:38 AM

459 posts, read 585,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
As far as why the Q isn't followed by a U, even Wiki knows the answer to that one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._followed_by_U

Too funny ... you actually needed to look it up

Old 12-07-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
Too funny ... you actually needed to look it up
I didn't "need to look it up," I just needed a source to back up my statement in the event of accusations of making stuff up. I chose Wiki because it's usually written in simple enough language that even dumb old white guys can sort of understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska