U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 03:00 PM

7 posts, read 13,435 times

Advertisements

Thanks again for the insight
Just bought a plane ticket and will check the place out a week from saturday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 04:22 PM

2,628 posts, read 5,693,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindrain View Post
Thanks again for the insight
Just bought a plane ticket and will check the place out a week from saturday!
I just heard from a friend of mine in Sitka who says that they got some sort of late-season snow dump. Hope it melts before you get there!

Old 05-09-2017, 12:16 AM

4 posts, read 3,353 times
Thumbs down Looking at Sitka, look some more

I lived in Sitka 12 years. It's deceptive. Yes, it is a really beautiful place, but it's best just to visit, go watch some whales, do some fishing, and leave with good memories. The reason I say this is because it's a real bad, dangerous place, as bad as a big city. If all you want to do is drink, or if you are mentally I'll, you will fit right in, otherwise you will be shocked at what goes on there. Murders, stabbings, rapes, domestic violence, a boiling cauldron of the absolute worst of humanity. I had to leave because I was scared my son would be murdered there. People will tell you it's a safe place, good for kids. Don't listen to them. Just get on Google, type in Sitka Alaska, murders. You will find one that just happened this weekend, along with the stabbings. Sign up for the Sitka sentinel, read about a typical weekend in Sitka. On Google, type in 18-year old stabs grandparents, 3 other family members. Really, do more research, then go somewhere else. It's too expensive there anyway, $300 to $1000 electric bills each month, rent over $1200. Not sure where to recommend in Alaska, just think it's best to just visit.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:27 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,080,700 times
The crime rate in Sitka is well below national averages.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:49 AM

175 posts, read 182,175 times
Sitka is the safest we have lived. I'm a critical care/ER nurse and my wife a med/Surg nurse. This is not the only place we have worked. I know all about the "knife and gun" club working in various level one trauma centers. The recent murder here involved a domestic fight and its really, really sad. Then there was the stabbing-some guy got poked in the arm with a knife, don't know if it was alcohol involved. We also worked in Anchorage and we would not go back to live there again. I sure don't see mentally ill people all over the place nor the ER. People don't get mugged, robbed. Kids walking to school don't get grabbed off the street. There is a drug problem here, just like anywhere in the country but nothing like I've seen in other places I've worked. My house is never locked, my neighbors are the greatest. People here are friendly and helpful. There is no "bad part" of town. I pick up people hitching into town all the time. We aren't bar type folks so I can't comment on that. We pay around 2500 bucks in bills per month-we can afford to. My boat is in a slip 5 miles from home and its never been broken into. No, there aren't just a bunch of angels living here, there is no place on earth there is. Life happens and people do stupid stuff but this place is not a sewer-not by a long shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska