Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 12:44 PM

7 posts, read 16,956 times

Advertisements

This thread has been most helpful... hard to find realistic information on living in Talkeetna on the web. Since Alaska is such a tourist based state I keep getting directed to visitor info and not on information for living there...

My husband and I are in North Pole (next to Fairbanks) and really want to get out of here. Hes gotten early retirement so we have a base income and I am a working artist who does pretty well supplying the businesses around here with my work. In all actuality I only need to go into town about once a month so living far out is more towards our current lifestyle.

The one question I have is that I am a musher with a small kennel of dogs (15) and even though I don't want to offer rides on a regular basis I really do need a place that has access to trails and is dog friendly.

Since my kennel is recreational my dogs are very quiet and very well mannered but we have had some issues with trapping in this area and other areas around Fairbanks that have resulted in dead pet dogs while they were on walks with their owners. I don't want to be in that situation if possible...

I am very willing to share trapping trails but some trappers around here dont seem to care for others safety and have put traps directly in the trails or fail to mark their trap lines. Is this an issue in Talkeetna?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 01:16 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,795,112 times
We spent three days in Talkeetna, hardly makes me an expert, but, one of the store owners, just as bus loads of cruiseship folks alit in town, closed his shop and drove me out to the highway to get a flat tire fixed. He wouldn't accept anything for his time or effort, we bought "THE LIST", you know the list, people back in N.C. who wanted T-shirts, Hats, something from Alaska. The total for these goods was over $400 then he gave us a 20% discount. The folks we met were friendly, talkative, and humorous, by the second day quite a few of them were calling us by name. Yeah, we liked Talkeetna. If that sandwich shop is still there, it makes a really good Philly Cheesesteak.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:39 PM

7 posts, read 10,905 times
Talkeetna is beautiful and awesome! And since you are from Alaska you know that it is 'winter all the time' - if you're sick of winter leave Alaska (duh! I assume you know that!). However, jobs are essentially non-existent in Talkeetna. What are you planning on doing? You could drive the hour to Wasilla - and in winter that'll get old - but, Wasilla is completely scary and nothing but strip mall big box stores with their emphasis on screwing their employees because our government we pay for allows it in our laws (who voted?). Stay where you are or leave Alaska would be my advice.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:44 PM

Igloo! I just realized you are not now living in Nome - I thought you were looking to relocate from Nome. Where are you now? Why on earth would you want to be back in the land of 'hell froze over'? It is beautiful, but so is just about everywhere the hand of man has not touched too much! Think hard about coming back to AK. Maybe get a rustic cabin for the summer months - unless you want Wasilla for your shopping/job you are out of luck to just 'hang' in Talkeentna (unless you have plenty of moola, in which case why not spend it on the coast of Mexico?!) Good luck.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:45 PM

471 posts, read 1,320,136 times
So did some snowmobil racer from wasilla break your heart? It will be ok.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:48 PM

Mongazid (if I got that right!) - was your comment for me? If so, well no - maybe almost got a broken leg but, otherwise I got married!

Old 02-20-2009, 07:54 PM

471 posts, read 1,320,136 times
Im just kiddin you alittle bit, you just seem alittle bitter on alaska.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:07 PM

You're being so nice! I am, just a little bitter, I suppose. I didn't like Wasilla/Anchorage. But, I loved Talkeetna & Juneau. A clear day with Denali - holy heck nothing is better!!(of course in 'south denali' not from Juneau). But, now I'm back to where I'm always drawn (just like folks in Ak. are drawn back to Ak.) I'm happy I'm back in the southwest & am not real thrilled looking back on the politics of Alaska . Additionally, I meet folks who have stars in their eyes about homesteading & back-to-nature types, etc. and it's just not realistic. But, yes Ak. is beautiful - but, I've learned that 'winter all the time' is just not for me - and for that matter I don't think I'd like the Hawaii 'summer all the time' either. I like four seasons.

And, anyway, well - certain guys are pretty sexy even with a snowmachine! So, you're not far off on broken hearts...but, like I said, I went up to Ak. for a man....like most gals.....thanks for not being too tough on me. People are protective of Ak. but I do feel like I should give folks a realistic picture. If I didn't have to contend with Wasilla for a job/shopping I MIGHT be tempted to come back to Ak. But, frankly, I just can't stand Wasilla or Anchorage (not a big town gal) Best wishes to you Mongazid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska