Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 12:45 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,999,885 times

Advertisements

Well, my wife had a 2nd interview and the licensing board for her profession finally got the paperwork sent so the clock is officially ticking on our move. Thank God. I can't take one more minute of California insanity.

First it was Wasilla, then Anchorage, and now it's looking like Wasilla again. A few more questions kind sirs/madams:

1)How long is the commute during "good" weather from Wasilla to Anchorage?

2)Is there much, if any, of a weather differential between said locales?

3)How is the real estate market up there? Depending where you are here in the lower 48, it can be pretty bad or stagnant, at best.

4)Gun laws. I've never been nailed for anything more serious than a speeding ticket and have had a concealed carry permit in PA for about 15 years. How are AK laws regarding carrying a handgun and firearms in general? CA law specifies that I have to register my handguns within 30 days of moving here. What do you think the odds are that I actually did that?

5)I've heard of a place called "Mugshots", I believe, in Wasilla. One of you nice people mentioned it and it aroused my curiosity. If we can't get reliable DirecTV, is there a place where I can go, at 9am, to watch my Steelers games? This is, of course, the most important of all my interrogatives.

And yes, I know there is a search function. However, I prefer up-to-date scoop.

Last edited by Classic Satch; 03-23-2008 at 12:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 01:20 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,359 times
I drove from Palmer to Anchorage and back today. 40 minutes each way. I live very close to the Parks/Glenn intersection and I drove to Home Depot by Bragaw in Anchorage. I set my cruise control on 69 mph both ways. That's about as good as it gets. You can look at a map and calculate from there.

Very little difference in weather. The valley isn't quite as close to the ocean so is slightly milder.

The real estate market is slower but not dead. We had an average price increase of 2% last year. The high end houses probably lost a little.

What gun laws? It's illegal to shoot people here. Is that what you mean? Seriously, if you aren't a felon, you can carry a concealed weapon. No permit needed.

Mugshot...can't tell you much. But you should have no problem getting direct TV.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
I drove from Palmer to Anchorage and back today. 40 minutes each way. I live very close to the Parks/Glenn intersection and I drove to Home Depot by Bragaw in Anchorage. I set my cruise control on 69 mph both ways. That's about as good as it gets. You can look at a map and calculate from there.

Very little difference in weather. The valley isn't quite as close to the ocean so is slightly milder.

The real estate market is slower but not dead. We had an average price increase of 2% last year. The high end houses probably lost a little.

What gun laws? It's illegal to shoot people here. Is that what you mean? Seriously, if you aren't a felon, you can carry a concealed weapon. No permit needed.

Mugshot...can't tell you much. But you should have no problem getting direct TV.
Thanks Marty. It's not looking very likely that we'll be able to get a house immediately after our move but we're always planning ahead. Living here in CA has been a serious detriment to our finances and it will take time to recover. How people can spend insane money on real estate here ( I possess a PA real estate license so I have a better grasp on these things that your average layperson and I know that you're an agent also) is beyond my comprehension.

Felon? Nah, unless you consider my murder of dozens of groundhogs when we had our 13 acre place in rural PA to be an infraction.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:40 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,865 times
I'll cover the weather difference you asked about. The biggest is we get far more winds in the valley then in Anchorage. Temperature, sunny days, rain, etc is about the same.

Commute time is 35+ minutes depending on exactly where in the valley you live.

Real Estate market? Sold my home in 5 days, buyers seem to be coming out as we get into the busy summer season. If I were you, I would try and grab a home as soon as you can, as I truly believe in 2-3 years, prices will be up quite a lot in the valley. I sold my home in the $250s and fully believe it will be a $350s home in 3-5 years. I would not wait unless you're totally unable to buy. Just my gut feeling and opinion, so take it for what it is worth.

As for carrying a firearm, as long as you don't shoot at me and your sane, have at it. I personally never liked the idea of carrying a gun, but that is just me. I collect old firearms and hunted a few years back, but don't really get into the "wild west" carrying a gun idea. I have no problem with those who wish to do so if they are responsible and SANE. Guns are really not a big issue here in Alaska, most folks view the same way some people view a hammer, simply a tool.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post

As for carrying a firearm, as long as you don't shoot at me and your sane, have at it. I personally never liked the idea of carrying a gun, but that is just me. I collect old firearms and hunted a few years back, but don't really get into the "wild west" carrying a gun idea. I have no problem with those who wish to do so if they are responsible and SANE. Guns are really not a big issue here in Alaska, most folks view the same way some people view a hammer, simply a tool.
Thanks for all the input. I carried a gun for the better part of two decades in Pittsburgh and never had reason to pull it out, thank God. I never, ever want to shoot anyone but I'd rather have a gun and not need it than need it and not have it.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:58 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
The Mugshot Saloon actually has a MySpace page.
MySpace.com - Mug-Shot Saloon - 23 - Female - WASILLA, ALASKA - www.myspace.com/mug_shot_saloon

Glitch may be able to tell you about bar protocol regarding fights & such.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:15 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,887,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Glitch may be able to tell you about bar protocol regarding fights & such.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
It's illegal to shoot people here.
At risk of sounding like a broken record, people who move to Alaska to escape their problems usually only find them magnified.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:29 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
I took this around a year and a half ago.

I'm sure you won't be drinking and driving though. They probably have diet coke or some such swill.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:31 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Is that the old Hupies Road House that used to be in Wasilla? The only bar fight I was ever in, was right there under the porch roof if it is.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:38 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
I'm not sure what it used to be, Rance, but it's on the Parks on the right side going out of Wasilla towards the North. It's been the Mug Shot for 23 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska