Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 11:33 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
It's been a cloudy and stormy winter here in Bethel and the west coast. When it's finally clear, no activity.
It has been the same around Fairbanks and much of the interior. The heavy snow caused power outages, and while we "maybe" get a day or so with clear skies (today), the forecast is for more clouds and snow next week. At least it warmed a little, so it's quite pleasant out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 02:27 PM

It was nice and sunny yesterday, so I prepared my cameras for taking photos of the Auroras. Then the clouds started moving in early in the evening, and by 10:00PM it was mostly cloudy. This morning it's snowing

Old 02-17-2018, 09:32 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
It was nice and sunny yesterday, so I prepared my cameras for taking photos of the Auroras. Then the clouds started moving in early in the evening, and by 10:00PM it was mostly cloudy. This morning it's snowing
Clouded up today and it's very warm, 38 above now and we're expecting rain first half of the week.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Clouded up today and it's very warm, 38 above now and we're expecting rain first half of the week.
We went through a cold spell over a week ago, somewhere in the -20-30s, then it warmed up to the +20s and started snowing. The cloud cover hasn't made it possible to take photos of the Auroras. At this time of the year lots of Japanese tourists hang around here hoping to see the Auroras. I have seen a few of the big tour buses already, but I have no idea if they have been able to see anything recently. They do travel across the interior looking for clear spots, so maybe they have had good luck.

The forecast looks like this:
National Weather Service
Quote:
Today
A 30 percent chance of snow after 3pm. Increasing clouds, with a high near 27. East wind around 5 mph.

Tonight
Snow. Areas of freezing fog between midnight and 3am. Low around 18. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

Washington's Birthday
A 50 percent chance of snow before noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 30. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

Monday Night
A chance of snow and freezing rain, mainly after 3am. Areas of freezing fog after 3am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Tuesday
Snow likely, mainly before 3pm. Areas of freezing fog before 3pm. Cloudy, with a high near 30. West wind 5 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Tuesday Night
A 50 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 16.

Wednesday
A 40 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 26.

Wednesday Night
A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 12.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:45 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,907 times
Good to see you guys back and posting about the Aurora. Even if you don't wind up posting pic's, it's an interesting read of the trials and tribulations one must endure to witness and photograph the Aurora.

I can just picture you all having to dodge the Japanese tourists and buses...LOL

Old 02-20-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Good to see you guys back and posting about the Aurora. Even if you don't wind up posting pic's, it's an interesting read of the trials and tribulations one must endure to witness and photograph the Aurora.

I can just picture you all having to dodge the Japanese tourists and buses...LOL
It's not too bad, but since Alaska is so large there are remote locations where there won't be any tour buses loaded with tourists. This happens primarily in Fairbanks and vicinity, and specific locations. I just find spots away from the areas where the tourists are.

But again, we have another winter storm moving in by tomorrow (Wednesday), with heavy snow and strong winds. Most of Alaska is going through this as you can see in the NWS map of Fairbanks and the interior:
Fairbanks, AK

Old 02-22-2018, 03:19 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
It's been pretty sad winter for my aurora shooting. It's either cloudy, no activity, or I'm stuck working and don't get to see them or shoot them. Still a couple months to go so I'm hoping for at least one good show before we lose dark nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska