U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 11:14 PM

5 posts, read 4,437 times

Advertisements

I would like to know how hard is life in alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 03:11 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,548,601 times
Mostly depends on where in Alaska you choose to live. Some parts can be extremely cold, some can be extremely wet, some parts have no road to get there. If you can find work then life can be good. If you can't, well, life can be rough. You can live in a dry cabin with no running water or toilet. You can live on the grid and have electricity, or off grid and need to gather firewood for heat. You can live in a city or smaller town. We have many options to choose from. Right now the biggest thing is finding work.

Actually moving up here...you can drive up through Canada, take the ferry from Washington, or fly into most towns on a jet.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:39 PM

2,557 posts, read 3,927,693 times
Visit before moving here.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:35 PM

16,564 posts, read 16,220,686 times
If you move to Anchorage or Wasilla, it's no different from most towns/cities in other states, just a bit more bland (city-wise), nature-wise a lot nicer than most cities/towns.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 02-22-2018 at 01:57 PM..

Old 02-22-2018, 02:42 PM

4,114 posts, read 1,535,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlternativeDad View Post
I would like to know how hard is life in alaska.
Life here is going to be harder if you don't do any research ahead of time, don't have a job lined up before you arrive, don't have much money saved up (to get you back out again if things go wrong), or you have expectations that public services are as readily available as they are down south. Life in many places here is much more expensive primarily because the products you may need are more expensive to buy or get transported to where you need them. Life will be harder if you can't tolerate dark cold winter days. Life here can be downright deadly if you think you can walk off the pavement into the woods, live off the land by hunting and gathering, or assume there will be others just waiting to rescue you.

All this being said, Alaska is not Mars (even though shipping companies charge as if it is). You could face some of the same difficulties in rural areas of other northern tier states. How hard life is really depends on where you settle. Alaska is a huge diverse place. What works in Anchorage or "the Valley" doesn't necessarily work in Bettles, Nome, Adak, or any other smaller town. Distances are longer. Getting places takes more time and there are fewer options for how to get there. The weather and your understanding of it is the big leveler.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:56 PM

2,927 posts, read 1,429,178 times
Spent a lot of time considering it. More than anything else, Alaska is just gigantic. So one can find any number of options. I consider most of Alaska as being for the rugged outdoors people. Long cold winters are the biggest challenge for many.

Wish it wasn't so far away. I'm sure I would love vacations there but I like to have my own vehicle as a rule.

A lot of people try it and are, more or less, repelled in a year or two. Best to do a lot of homework. How do you handle cold, dark winters? Doesn't bother some. Kills others.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:14 PM

6,904 posts, read 11,690,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Spent a lot of time considering it. More than anything else, Alaska is just gigantic. So one can find any number of options. I consider most of Alaska as being for the rugged outdoors people. Long cold winters are the biggest challenge for many.

Wish it wasn't so far away. I'm sure I would love vacations there but I like to have my own vehicle as a rule.

A lot of people try it and are, more or less, repelled in a year or two. Best to do a lot of homework. How do you handle cold, dark winters? Doesn't bother some. Kills others.
Alaska has a number of automobile rental agencies.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:44 AM

4,052 posts, read 4,426,276 times
A colleague of mine from Anchorage summed it up: It's cold, dark, expensive, the economy sucks, alcoholism is sky high, the dating scene sucks if you're a straight man, and it has one of the highest crime rates in the nation (that last one surprised me).....but...it's by far the most beautiful state in the nation.

Visit in early January to see if you can handle it. If you love it, have a well paying job lined up.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:36 AM

2,927 posts, read 1,429,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Alaska has a number of automobile rental agencies.
"I like to have my own vehicle as a rule. " How was this misunderstood?

Old 02-23-2018, 09:26 AM

2,803 posts, read 1,496,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
A colleague of mine from Anchorage summed it up: It's cold, dark, expensive, the economy sucks, alcoholism is sky high, the dating scene sucks if you're a straight man, and it has one of the highest crime rates in the nation (that last one surprised me).....but...it's by far the most beautiful state in the nation.

Visit in early January to see if you can handle it. If you love it, have a well paying job lined up.
Great summary. OP, if you have more specific concerns, please articulate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or