U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 08:23 AM

445 posts, read 334,401 times

Advertisements

Don't reelect him and he will be laughing all the way to the bank ... HUGE pension and doubtful he will go back to Fort Yuk. Most likely will retire in style on a nice yacht in the east.

Best to leave him in congress so he is occupied and not enjoying the good life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 08:59 AM

2,803 posts, read 1,499,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
Don't reelect him and he will be laughing all the way to the bank ... HUGE pension and doubtful he will go back to Fort Yuk. Most likely will retire in style on a nice yacht in the east.

Best to leave him in congress so he is occupied and not enjoying the good life.
He will die in office, making a fool of himself and our state.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:31 AM

278 posts, read 120,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
He needs to retire and I don't care if he is laughing. He hasn't lived in Fort Yukon in many decades and mostly lives in a nice house in Great Falls, Virginia. I'd guess that's where he would retire. He does a token visit to his Ft Yukon cabin occasionally in the summer, but that isn't "living" there.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:03 PM

16,174 posts, read 27,435,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I mean Joe Miller came close to being elected so anything is possible lol
At least Joe Miller would have been better than Princess Lisa. She is another Washington swamp dweller who will stay there forever.

The whole thing about Don Young is that there aren't any good candidates the AK republicans can replace him with, nor does the party want to lose its power in Washington by replacing Young. Lisa should have been replaced long ago, but the Republicans won't allow an outsider to do it. An outsider does not have the means to run against the party, just like it happened to Joe Miller. It is to the benefit of both the Republicans and Democrats to keep their swamp dwellers in the swamp.

And please understand that I am not taking sides on this issue. I am not a Republican, nor a Democrat.

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-24-2018 at 01:15 PM..

Old 02-28-2018, 07:57 AM

2,803 posts, read 1,499,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
At least Joe Miller would have been better than Princess Lisa. She is another Washington swamp dweller who will stay there forever.

The whole thing about Don Young is that there aren't any good candidates the AK republicans can replace him with, nor does the party want to lose its power in Washington by replacing Young. .
At least Murkowski has the guts to defy her party now and then. Miller certainly wouldn't have. I'm willing to bet Murkowski won't be in DC into her 80's, assuming she lives that long.

Sullivan and Murkowski are both Republicans-we should have an Independent or Dem take Young's place.

He can laugh, we can sigh in relief.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:13 AM

464 posts, read 401,961 times
This sounds just like Pat Roberts of Kansas too.. I dont understand why states keep allowing this nonsense then complain about politicians.. We put them in there.. We need to have a huge overhaul

Old 02-28-2018, 03:36 PM

20,423 posts, read 26,550,284 times
Don Young represents the values of most Alaskans.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:16 PM

16,174 posts, read 27,435,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
At least Murkowski has the guts to defy her party now and then. Miller certainly wouldn't have. I'm willing to bet Murkowski won't be in DC into her 80's, assuming she lives that long.

Sullivan and Murkowski are both Republicans-we should have an Independent or Dem take Young's place.

He can laugh, we can sigh in relief.
Miller would probably have sided with conservative principles, which is not the case with Princess Lisa. In fact she is the most liberal Republican in Congress other than Susan Collins. Besides that, we have two political parties at the moment, so it makes no sense for members of Congress to vote for the opposite party, regardless of the representative being a Democrat or a Republican. In addition, Lisa has a lot of support from the AK Democrats, and that has been the case from the time her father handed her the crown.

Don Young gets reelected each time because there aren't any other candidates with the means, monetary and political, to gain enough votes to replace him. The same goes for every one of the "Congress for life" Democrats or Republicans. The swamp dwellers have to power to squash the opposition.

You can pick on Don Young day in and day out, but he is not the only one who has been entrenched in Congress for many years. Look at both political sides, and you will find plenty.

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-28-2018 at 08:46 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 06:06 AM

1,576 posts, read 559,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Miller would probably have sided with conservative principles, which is not the case with Princess Lisa. In fact she is the most liberal Republican in Congress other than Susan Collins. Besides that, we have two political parties at the moment, so it makes no sense for members of Congress to vote for the opposite party, regardless of the representative being a Democrat or a Republican. In addition, Lisa has a lot of support from the AK Democrats, and that has been the case from the time her father handed her the crown.

Don Young gets reelected each time because there aren't any other candidates with the means, monetary and political, to gain enough votes to replace him. The same goes for every one of the "Congress for life" Democrats or Republicans. The swamp dwellers have to power to squash the opposition.

You can pick on Don Young day in and day out, but he is not the only one who has been entrenched in Congress for many years. Look at both political sides, and you will find plenty.
LOL

There are 435 seats in the House of Representatives. Which has been held the longest by one person? Don Young, who as of March 6th will have been there 45 years. That's number one (the top fraction of 1%) with a bullet; the number two (Jim Sensenbrenner of Wisconsin) just hit the 39-year-mark earlier this year. So of the other 434 House members, Young has damn near six years on the closest of them all!

And every last one of them has supporters happy to run interference for them. "But! But! Don Young's been in the House even longer that X, so stop taking shots at X!" That's why Young and all the X's stay right where they are.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:13 AM

5,873 posts, read 3,148,828 times
I've been voting for Don Young since 1972, when I was an 18 year old high school senior. I can either vote for him or I can vote for the Democrat. I have done many things in my life, but I have never voted for a Democrat and I never will. I'm not a Republican, and I've voted third party a number of times, but it's only worked once, and that was when Wally ran for Governor. I don't anticipate any third party candidates running against Don Young and having any chance of winning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or