U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 05:01 PM

2,803 posts, read 1,496,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've been voting for Don Young since 1972, when I was an 18 year old high school senior. I can either vote for him or I can vote for the Democrat. I have done many things in my life, but I have never voted for a Democrat and I never will. I'm not a Republican, and I've voted third party a number of times, but it's only worked once, and that was when Wally ran for Governor. I don't anticipate any third party candidates running against Don Young and having any chance of winning.
And I've voted for almost as long in Alaska, with Jay Hammond being the only Republican getting my vote.

Otherwise I always vote Democratic, unless I don't like the candidate for some reason. Mark Begich is the most recent example. In that case, I simply don't vote, or vote for a Green Party candidate.

I certainly would never vote for a demented old man, regardless of party affiliation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 07:49 PM

16,171 posts, read 27,428,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
LOL

There are 435 seats in the House of Representatives. Which has been held the longest by one person? Don Young, who as of March 6th will have been there 45 years. That's number one (the top fraction of 1%) with a bullet; the number two (Jim Sensenbrenner of Wisconsin) just hit the 39-year-mark earlier this year. So of the other 434 House members, Young has damn near six years on the closest of them all!

And every last one of them has supporters happy to run interference for them. "But! But! Don Young's been in the House even longer that X, so stop taking shots at X!" That's why Young and all the X's stay right where they are.
Don Young became number 1 this year. However, there is not way a person in his right mind can say that a member of Congress for life is only Don Young. That is laughable

There have been a great number of representatives who were there for a long time, a lot longer than Don Young, and most were Democrats. Some have retired, some have died, and some have been kicked out of office. But "members of Congress for life" have (in the past) while some still are, come from both political parties:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ity_of_service

Maybe they stay in power until kicking the bucket?

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-01-2018 at 08:35 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
And I've voted for almost as long in Alaska, with Jay Hammond being the only Republican getting my vote.

Otherwise I always vote Democratic, unless I don't like the candidate for some reason. Mark Begich is the most recent example. In that case, I simply don't vote, or vote for a Green Party candidate.

I certainly would never vote for a demented old man, regardless of party affiliation.
I have also voted that long, and like Erik there is not way that I would vote for any Democrat. I would vote for a conservative independent or Republican. But there is not one single Democrat candidate in Alaska who does not lean left. In fact, I would never vote for Princess Lisa because she is just a RINO. Don Young is there because candidates from both sides are too wishy-washy.

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-01-2018 at 08:32 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 09:59 PM

6,067 posts, read 2,492,570 times
I am not sure what Don Young does. I vote for him because as a low population state (but high resource value in terms of total dollars) we only have 1 representative so we want them to be very senior with influence.

Also our 2 senators are jokes so we are pretty handicapped when it comes to national representatives.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've been voting for Don Young since 1972, when I was an 18 year old high school senior. I can either vote for him or I can vote for the Democrat. I have done many things in my life, but I have never voted for a Democrat and I never will. I'm not a Republican, and I've voted third party a number of times, but it's only worked once, and that was when Wally ran for Governor. I don't anticipate any third party candidates running against Don Young and having any chance of winning.
I would probably vote democrat in the future with murkouski a total fraud and a better double talker than Allen Greenspan and Sullivan basically providing welfare to slum lords by keeping unnecessary military in Alaska with their BAH. I am there, I would vote for the democrat this time around I think.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I would probably vote democrat in the future with murkouski a total fraud and a better double talker than Allen Greenspan and Sullivan basically providing welfare to slum lords by keeping unnecessary military in Alaska with their BAH. I am there, I would vote for the democrat this time around I think.
In reality, without the military and rest of the Federal Government, Alaska would have a vey difficult time. A big problem in Alaska is the very large state government, not necessarily the Federal Government (military and such). I do agree with you about Lisa. Sullivan is popular with the Republicans, but powerless in Congress.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I am not sure what Don Young does. I vote for him because as a low population state (but high resource value in terms of total dollars) we only have 1 representative so we want them to be very senior with influence.

Also our 2 senators are jokes so we are pretty handicapped when it comes to national representatives.
That's pretty much why Alaskans keep him in power. Stevens had a lot of influence in Congress, too.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
In reality, without the military and rest of the Federal Government, Alaska would have a vey difficult time. A big problem in Alaska is the very large state government, not necessarily the Federal Government (military and such). I do agree with you about Lisa. Sullivan is popular with the Republicans, but powerless in Congress.
I absolutely think military should be up here but its like every single military staffing decision is ran through the lens of how will it negatively impact the slum lords that have rental properties near base and I think that actually harms non military Alaskans because it artificially inflates the cost of housing.

They are never going to shut down JBER but I think military leadership should be able to make staffing decisions without having to worry about sullivan and his slum lord lobby.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:16 AM

1,941 posts, read 1,688,007 times
Quote:

I'm pretty sure no one is sure what he does besides shoot his mouth off.

So if that person doesn't use his 'very senior' influence for good, then what's the point?

Old 03-02-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I'm pretty sure no one is sure what he does besides shoot his mouth off.

So if that person doesn't use his 'very senior' influence for good, then what's the point?
The thing about Young is that with his seniority he benefits Alaska. It was the same with Ted Stevens. But I am not trying to say that Alaska needs such kind of representatives, just that they do bring a lot of money to Alaska. It works in a similar way for other States that have long term representatives in Congress. Other than that, there probably are all kinds of deals taking place in Congress that we don't know.

At least he is not a liberal Democrat like this one (this is all Democrats can do for tax payers):
http://mustreadalaska.com/filler-er-...llon-thursday/

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-02-2018 at 12:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or