Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 12:44 PM

4 posts, read 2,377 times

Advertisements

Looking for in put here positive an negative. Alaska looks to be what I am looking for in my life At the old age of 50. Tired of the same old way of life here in northern NY want to be free looking to move to Ak. Planned a trip to see Alaska for myself so with that said the in put Iam looking for is this. First and foremost not looking to change anything or anyone but reading some in put here seems to be a lot of negative things. My concern is this. Driven truck most of my life but with that i have learned a lot not saying I know it all.is it truly harder to survive in Alaska ? Good with my hands and able to get myself out of the corner ( for a lack of betterwords) but never afraid to ask for help! For a person not know in an area is hard to earn someone trust or willingness to help ? Also believe in the old values one hand washing other an never expect anything in return. Looking for a place to work hard and happy with vary little to survive ! Thank you in advance for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 02:50 PM

2,588 posts, read 2,284,481 times
I've never been there but I think the per capita crime rates are high, at least in the rural areas.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:12 PM

26,505 posts, read 36,360,007 times
Anyone who shows up in Alaska without the attitude that blue collar work is a four letter word can probably keep busy, but part of the problem with modern Alaska is that working people have largely been priced out of many areas. What parts are you going to be visiting?

Old 03-18-2018, 04:22 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,071,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Anyone who shows up in Alaska without the attitude that blue collar work is a four letter word can probably keep busy, but part of the problem with modern Alaska is that working people have largely been priced out of many areas. What parts are you going to be visiting?
Thats pretty much any place in the entire USA that is not a crap hole. Pretty much all of cali, eastern and western washington, northern idaho, western montana, northern arizona, northern new mexico, pretty much the entire new england coast, pretty much all of the mountian parts of colorado plus denver, etc.

I could go on and on. Your easily looking at 300k plus (probably pushing 400k now) for a single family home thats not in gang land. This is not just an anchorage problem.

You pretty much have to emigrate out of the USA to escape it and even then nice areas like the islands of greece or croatia etc are all sky rocketing in price. I have heard parts of germany and switzerland are reasonable because you have to have the points to get in of which money is only one part (unless your a billionare).

Of course the areas where city hall is enticing people to go usually have no economy and you have to have the resources to basically buy a house outright and start buisness outright with cash.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:45 PM

Starting my search in south central Alaska that’s also where my visit( vacation ) will be .No not a billionaire just an old country boy with them old ways of living . As far as I can tell you are close 200,000 plus cause I want a lot of land 50 acres or more if I can find the right land . Not against neighbors just want a place where I can live how I want , not have society dictate how I should. Just tired of being a slave for that all mighty dollar to me there is more to life than having more money than brains . Sorry if I offend anyone

Old 03-18-2018, 09:16 PM

2,588 posts, read 2,284,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
Florida - The dregs. All of it. No offense to anyone. Just not a feelgood place. Bad vibes.
More than in the 1990s?

Old 03-18-2018, 09:30 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,071,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
Exactly true re the areas you've listed. Just about all that's left for the working class are rural Plains States and some less than desirable areas of the Deep South and just a bit of the more odious Mid-West locations.

But as far as going abroad to live on the cheap, ehh, I wouldnt recommend it. They have many other cans of worms out there they're dealing with that at the present, we are no yet here in the States.

South Texas, the RGV is one of the last few places with warm weather and cheap prices. I'll most likely end up down there because I like the waters of South Padre.

As far as having water close and living as less than a richie?

Hawaii - death trap

Cali - Only for the delusional fool

Florida - The dregs. All of it. No offense to anyone. Just not a feelgood place. Bad vibes.
I have heard titusville is nice if you are able to get a gig working at NASA.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:04 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,147,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfcjr View Post
Starting my search in south central Alaska that’s also where my visit( vacation ) will be .No not a billionaire just an old country boy with them old ways of living . As far as I can tell you are close 200,000 plus cause I want a lot of land 50 acres or more if I can find the right land . Not against neighbors just want a place where I can live how I want , not have society dictate how I should. Just tired of being a slave for that all mighty dollar to me there is more to life than having more money than brains . Sorry if I offend anyone
What are you planning to do on this land?
South central isn’t cheap and it’s pretty darn crowded.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the input. As far as the land goes.meadows for live stock Want to be self sufficient or close as I can get. Croweded is not what I wanted to hear really but thanks. Just trying to find a place to be stress free not always worrying about my next dollar . Iam sure some are going to tell me to get out of my dream bubble ! Any one been or lives in the interior Alaska is the next place to look . My future plan is this sell what I’ve got here in northern New York an buy out right and have vary few Payments. I’ve heard that old saying all my life where there’s a will there’s a way ! Just trying to find the way right now . Guess you could say Iam the guy that with everyone running away Iam the one that’s got to go see what they are running from!An yes I have always learned the hard way because of my stubbornness. I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth anything an everything I’ve got came the hard way just like a lot of people.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:29 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,414,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfcjr View Post
Just trying to find a place to be stress free not always worrying about my next dollar .
I don't know anyone reasonable in Alaska who isn't worried about that, these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: