U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-24-2008, 06:54 PM

649 posts, read 327,733 times
When I was in my twenties I worked the slope as a Chef. Yep, they do eat good up there. Anyhow, I was paid $32 an hour to cook. I have formal chef schooling though and years of experience. I worked 2 weeks on and 1 week off, lots of overtime too. I was 23 years old and bagging a monthly salary of about $8400 a month. I invested that money in the stock market and the rest is history.

Sad thing now, is my same old position now pays about $12 an hour. The gravey train days are over. Unless you're an oil executive, blue collar jobs on the slope pay only slightly better then they do here.

Unread 03-24-2008, 06:55 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,982,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Rance, I like a 2 on and 2 off myself...especially if the first and last day are travel days that count as work. But I'm looking at 3 on and 2 off soon, not crazy about that but what the hell.
Thats what my dad does, and he seems to enjoy it. I think the only boat that doesnt do 2 on and 2 off is the Kennicott. That is 4 on 4 off.

2 on, 2 off is also what I may be doing at a mine this summer

Unread 03-24-2008, 07:00 PM

15,400 posts, read 13,849,178 times
That's the perfect summer schedule, AKPilot.

Unread 03-24-2008, 07:05 PM

4,365 posts, read 3,729,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
When I was in my twenties I worked the slope as a Chef. Yep, they do eat good up there. Anyhow, I was paid $32 an hour to cook. I have formal chef schooling though and years of experience. I worked 2 weeks on and 1 week off, lots of overtime too. I was 23 years old and bagging a monthly salary of about $8400 a month. I invested that money in the stock market and the rest is history.

Sad thing now, is my same old position now pays about $12 an hour. The gravey train days are over. Unless you're an oil executive, blue collar jobs on the slope pay only slightly better then they do here.

This was a classy answer that was negative, but not demeaning towards me or sarcastic, like some of the other classless answers on here.
Hopefully the mod will close this thread

Unread 03-24-2008, 07:06 PM

22,832 posts, read 15,514,936 times
Oil and Gas Jobs in Canada | InfoOil Careers Lots of good paying jobs here.

Before I went commercial fishing I was a welder for years...Had several pressure vessel tickets, and I see they are paying $42.00 per hour in Alberta for pressure qualified welders....Not too shabby.

Unread 03-24-2008, 07:08 PM

15,400 posts, read 13,849,178 times
Quote:
LOL. The mod here has posted in this thread quite a few times already.

You want to talk about demeaning? Your original post here was the epitome of that.

And actually, this thread serves a very useful purpose, as it speaks to the reality of how most of the residents here feel about carpetbaggers who just want to take and take and take, and your chances of being able to do so anymore.

It's too bad that you didn't like the answers that you got to your question about coming here and leaving with a pocketful of money, but they were realistic ones. No one here owes it to you to give you the answers that you want.

And it's just a little preview of what it's going to be like if you do actually show up here and announce that you are only here for the "money".

Still, I'd be happy to send you a linky about jobs scubbing toilets in Prudoe....plenty of overtime and they'd pay your way out for your time off. I guess they do have trouble filling those particular jobs. No need to thank me now.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-24-2008 at 07:25 PM..

Unread 03-24-2008, 07:27 PM

14,619 posts, read 22,896,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
This was a classy answer that was negative, but not demeaning towards me or sarcastic, like some of the other classless answers on here.
Buddy you are whacked! There was absolutely nothing negative about his post and I read it 3 times just to make sure.

I will close this thread but only because you made your intentions perfectly clear in your initial post. You just want to rape this state of it's money and run home. The last thing we need is people like you here. I'd suggest going to Canada and taking their money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska