U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 955 times

Advertisements

I do not see much talk of the software development industry in Alaska. Is it a thing? I did a simple google search and did not find that many positions for it.

The reason I am asking is because I am looking to move to Alaska as a 24 year old single male with 30k in savings. I have a degree with two years software development experience. I have been to Alaska for a vacation and loved it; my father also lived in Alaska for 4 years. I would like to move there first and then apply for jobs as it would give me a better shot of landing interviews. They say my age is the time to make risky decisions but is this even a reasonable move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 01:14 PM

997 posts, read 839,659 times
Some companies will let sw engineers work remotely, though you may need to work from their main office a couple of years first. You may want to find a job at such a company, be upfront about your plans when interviewing. Good luck!

Old 02-27-2018, 06:51 PM

6,082 posts, read 2,500,737 times
I am a life long alaskan who was recently laid off in engineering. There is not a whole lot of anything going on in Alaska.

Also because of the size and lack of infrastructure in the state you will find more than a few jobs that crop up where some employers are trying to leverage the bad job market to fill rolls that involve extreme amounts of travel to extreme remote locations for prolonged periods of time. Personally I would rather leave state than take those jobs because you will be hooked up most of the summer which is when you will want to go recreating.

I would love to find a work from home option so I can stay in Alaska.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:12 PM

278 posts, read 121,054 times
Maybe you could help Anchorage fix its SAP software problem? It sure needs it. Seriously though, I'm not sure how much software development needs there are here, but there sure seems a shortage of people who can keep a network up and running and secure. Do some research, talk to people and see if there is enough demand in what you want to do to make it worth the move up.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:30 AM

6,082 posts, read 2,500,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Maybe you could help Anchorage fix its SAP software problem? It sure needs it. Seriously though, I'm not sure how much software development needs there are here, but there sure seems a shortage of people who can keep a network up and running and secure. Do some research, talk to people and see if there is enough demand in what you want to do to make it worth the move up.
I have noticed that as well on the job boards, even enstar has a network engineer position. I am trying to develop the expertise but by the time I do it probably wont be the top flavor of the month anymore.

From my searches they are looking for CCNA, IEEE WCET and in some cases a EE PE. Depending on the flavor of the job of course. I have also heard that cisco is slowly going out of favor so I am sure who ever the new hardware vendor is will have their own certs. Of course these are closer to the EE design/hardware maintenance side than just pure coding.

I dont even know why there is such a love affair with Oracle and SAP up here when excel will work fine. Unless your trying to process MASSIVE data sets I dont see why people go through the head ach of dealing with SAP. These are organizational failures, everyone trying to use the latest and greatest and over complicating things. Thats just my opinion though.

I would say the EE PE and IEEE WCET are the most leveraging. Those are what I will focus on. I am signed off for my EE PE I just need to register for a prep course and get it done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or