Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:18 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,884,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That's interesting, Ray. I hope it doesn't cost your friend too much to get out there.

Everyone I know who does a rotation job gets their travel expenses paid.
I believe he works for a sub-contractor or something like that, not for an oil company. Maybe that's why he does not get travel pay, although he claims the mileage on his federal taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 10:24 PM

26,476 posts, read 36,301,263 times
My job even paid for the gas to get to the ferry...ferry tickets...if I ate a meal on the ferry they'd pay for that...cab fare to the float dock...hotel room and all meal expenses if we got weathered in, which happened more than a few times. A lot of the times though I would lose the receipts.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:30 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,598,155 times
You have to live in Nome. They are not rotating people in and out.

NovaGold Resources Inc.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:37 PM

26,476 posts, read 36,301,263 times
LOL. That works then, that's the same link I sent to the OP. He is interested in living in Nome so it could work well for him. How do you know for sure they are not doing rotations, Stiffnecked? I couldn't find that info anywhere and I do have to wonder how they're gonna pull that off because I'm not sure that Nome has the population to supply them with employees that they seem to need.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:58 PM

A buddy of mine is working for them. They had rented out the old Polaris Hotel and were using it as temporary housing until guys could find a place to live. With them opening up the Big Hurrah mine things might change. Affordable housing has alwasy been tight up there and he said now it's about impossible to find.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:05 PM

37 posts, read 177,630 times
Default Thanks

Thanks to all who have replied and thanks to metlakatla for the link!!
There has been a lot of info given to me here and also on one of the outdoor forums that I visit that I need to digest.
I had also heard about those that work these kind of jobs and live in another state but it was a friend telling a friend kinda thing and was not sure.Something like that would sure be a good way to transition from here to there.Even moving first then getting a job with that type of schedual would be great.
Chris

Old 03-26-2008, 07:08 AM

Move to Anchorage or Fairbanks. Very forgiving places for the newcomer. Job's-a-plenty and housing too. Then sprout your wings and fly off to work in such tropical paradises as Prudhoe Bay....

Old 04-11-2008, 11:14 AM

182 posts, read 475,664 times
I enjoyed my remote job. It was the best I ever had. Its just the way I like it. Work hard get it done, and have more time. I'ld rather work 84 hours + a week and get more days off in a row then to do the regular 40. I worked 4 10's before and it still wasn't enough. My family likes to get out and go places do things. But having the typical 2 days stinks. 3 Is better, but I loved my 4 weeks on 2 weeks off, and 6 weeks on 2 weeks off.

I had money to actually enjoy the weeks off too. Beleive me if your anything the same, you'll love it.

I've been looking at Nova Gold too. I know a few guys in Nome who do mining there too. Been trying for the longest time.
Living In Alaska doesn't make it too much easier then if you are out of state. They hire residents first but I became a resident the first day I flew up there. So.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,076 times
I am looking for the same type of job. I have welding experience and mechanical experience. I am looking to move up there but I want to know I have work before I move. I really need to at least know what jobs and companies have a rotation. If someone can help with that it would be great. I don't care bout travel expenses but would like one that pays for travel.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:49 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,641,516 times
Start here:

Udelhoven Companies

http://www.jobbankusa.com/jobs_emplo...s-95228-1.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska