Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 12:55 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,143,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman51 View Post
If you do not know where you will be working, it would probably be best to rent, Avoid Wiliwaw subdivision and the subdivision up North bear street both towards Wasilla.
We should find out our location in May. That’s the hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 09:41 PM

5 posts, read 6,723 times
You can also easily call the local Law Enforcement agencies. They have unique knowledge of the different areas and are happy to help.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:26 PM

300 posts, read 325,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
We should find out our location in May. That’s the hope.
Nice, about that time we'll be driving up a trailer load of furniture from the lower 48. We wound up on the East side of Meadow Lakes, right outside city limits.

Not perfect, but then nothing is. Everything is a compromise.

Good luck to you in your search.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:19 PM

195 posts, read 275,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
I'm not aware of any places in Palmer to avoid. Some people might say The Butte, but there's some nice homes in the right areas with some great views.
We are supposed to be touring a house in the Butte area tomorrow. The crime map didn't show anything too crazy, but now your comment has me rethinking...

Any suggestions for rental companies/people to avoid or that are good?

Old 03-27-2018, 06:39 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,138,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahTravels View Post
We are supposed to be touring a house in the Butte area tomorrow. The crime map didn't show anything too crazy, but now your comment has me rethinking...

If you look at a map of the area south of Palmer, on the east side of the old Glenn, you are safe down to about Maud road, south of that on the east I'd avoid. On the west side you are pretty much gold right down to the Knik river. Anything along Bodenberg loop is ok. The other area to watch out for is along the river, those majestic mountains block the sun for months during winter.

One more consideration is flooding. The entire area west of the old Glenn is at the mercy of the Matanuska and it has, and will in the future, eaten houses and entire neighborhoods.

There's never a bad view from the Butte.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:46 PM

300 posts, read 325,585 times
Regarding flood prone areas, you can actually look at the problem areas by accessing the matsugov.us website, planning department has all that good stuff.

I find that there's lots of good information regarding the high crime activity areas on facebook.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:45 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,061,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahTravels View Post

Nothing to contribute other than that this is a great question.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:57 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,503,639 times
Check to see how close you are to the mountains in the Butte. Get the wrong house and the sun will disappear hours before official sunset. I personally would stay away from the Butte. Besides being a generally bad area, it's a bit of a trip to any shopping. It's the one area in the Palmer area I would not live in. As for Wasilla, stay away from Williwaw area, Pittman Road, and Hollywood and Vine.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:40 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,792,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
As for Wasilla, stay away
Fixed it

Old 03-28-2018, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 890 times
Nice weather there in July!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska