U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2018, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Alaska
2,597 posts, read 2,285,649 times
Reputation: 4280

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab4you26 View Post
The job would be full time. I wouldnít move unless I had the job. Is crime really as bad as people say it is in Anchorage?
It's not nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

If you're used to the crime rate in Richmond, Norfolk, or even closer to DC than you will view Anchorage crime like a pimple on an elephant's butt.

No, it's not like it was when I arrived 15 years ago but it's also not the coming Apocalypse as some try to portray it, either.

Be street smart and don't look and act like a potential victim and you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2018, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Alaska
2,597 posts, read 2,285,649 times
Reputation: 4280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab4you26 View Post
I’m in Roanoke/Blacksburg. We have 4 seasons here. It’s hot and humid in the summer and cold in the winter. Spring and Fall are the best seasons here. I feel very safe in Roanoke, although cars have been broken into at our work and we sometimes have trespassers. Lots of things to do if you’re outdoorsy, lots of breweries, coffee shops, music and events, etc. Honestly Roanoke is a great place to live but the atmosphere at the shop I work has gotten so bad I want to leave. I feel like with me being young I could do with the experience out there. I’ve always wanted to go and experience Alaska which is what made me pursue looking for a job there. I’d also love flying there. Alaska looks like no other place from the pictures I’ve seen.

I just want to make sure I can do everything I’m doing in Roanoke, too, like finish at community college and move up, fly, do everything I can do enjoy where I live.
If you have a pretty comfortable and secure life, especially economically speaking, where you are, then I would give serious consideration to your decision because the cost of everything is more up here, a whole lot more for some things like food.

As others have stated, the economic outlook for Alaska is tenuous, at best, and our state legislature is still not accepting the realities of the new economic dichotomy of not being able to have their cake (the yearly dividend) and eat it too (pay for necessary government services).

This situation will only negatively affect the broader economy and employment prospects for everyone until it is honestly and appropriately solved.

I don't mean to discourage you but to give you a very honest assessment of what you will be facing, if you choose to move here.

Many people have given up very good and secure lives in the lower 48 and came to Alaska seeking the perfect life, only to realize too late, how good they had it back home.

Last edited by phlinak; 04-03-2018 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 11:26 AM
 
19 posts, read 8,157 times
Reputation: 19
Phlinak, thank you for that elaborate response. And yes, I’m set up pretty comfortably where I’m at (working full-time, in school, and taking flight lessons) but I also think life is short and it should be experienced to the fullest if given the opportunity, within realistic expectations of course. While the economy here is likely in better shape than that of Alaska, NS has taken extensive measures to cut costs. Morale is very low at our shop. People have quit because of it and how we’ve been treated lately. Work schedules are more restrictive. Management doesn’t know how to run the place and is constantly looking for reasons to get people in trouble and potentially fire people. In fact, in the almost 7 years I’ve been with NS, not much has gotten better but a lot has gotten worse.

I’m aware the cost of living is significantly higher, but the wages they pay for the job I applied for is an 18% increase over what I make now. The biggest concerns I have are crime as previously stated, definitely the economy which translates to job security, and weather - although I think I could get acclimated to the weather so that’s not a huge one for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Anchorage
278 posts, read 120,883 times
Reputation: 557
As Phlinak said, yes there is crime in and around Anchorage but it's hardly an "Escape From New York" scenario. The biggest issue for us is people trying to steal mail out of our street side mail box. We could solve that by getting a PO box but are hoping this crap subsides soon. Anchorage has substantially increased it's police force in the last couple of years and the state is changing some of it's sentencing laws and hopefully that will turn the crime rate back to a downward trend.


You haven't said what you are in school for. There are several vocational schools up here as well as the University of Alaska.


As for flying, Alaska has more pilots per capita than anywhere else in the US. It is very different flying than in Virginia, however. I got my private pilot's license at Manassas.


As for breweries, coffee shops, etc., Anchorage has all that. We have shows and events too, but not to the extent you have in VA.


I went to Virginia Tech, so I know Blacksburg and the surrounding area. Alaska will be quite different. For me, it is different in a good way, for others, they find it doesn't suit them. I've heard more than one person complain that there are not enough roads. They lament that if only there were more roads they could hunt and fish in more areas. I like it because there aren't that many roads. It takes more effort to get to many places and that is part of the allure for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 12:27 PM
 
19 posts, read 8,157 times
Reputation: 19
Northrick, I’m in school for mechanical engineering. I don’t know that I’ll ever use the degree but I want one that’s desirable just in case.

Alaska has more pilots and for good reason, which you kinda answered in your last paragraph - there are less roads and it’s harder to get things to different places there. I’d like to fly there because of the beauty within Alaska and I have no doubt the flying is more challenging than Virginia. Even if I don’t get a job after getting my ratings, I think flying there would be a great experience.

I think it’s awesome you went to VT. I live within walking distance of Tech (I sorta live in Roanoke and Blacksburg). The lack of roads doesn’t really bother me. I tend to gravitate towards places around here that have less roads and I am one to enjoy exploring, anyway. May I ask what you went to Tech for, and what you do now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Anchorage
278 posts, read 120,883 times
Reputation: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab4you26 View Post
Northrick, I’m in school for mechanical engineering. I don’t know that I’ll ever use the degree but I want one that’s desirable just in case.

Alaska has more pilots and for good reason, which you kinda answered in your last paragraph - there are less roads and it’s harder to get things to different places there. I’d like to fly there because of the beauty within Alaska and I have no doubt the flying is more challenging than Virginia. Even if I don’t get a job after getting my ratings, I think flying there would be a great experience.

I think it’s awesome you went to VT. I live within walking distance of Tech (I sorta live in Roanoke and Blacksburg). The lack of roads doesn’t really bother me. I tend to gravitate towards places around here that have less roads and I am one to enjoy exploring, anyway. May I ask what you went to Tech for, and what you do now?
I got a degree in Aerospace and Ocean Engineering. I'm a Civil PE in the state of Alaska and currently work for an environmental consultant. In between graduating college and now I've also worked for a plumbing company, a DC "beltway bandit," cleaned jets, and fixed aircraft propellers. Not exactly a straight forward career path but, hey, keeps life interesting.


UAA does have a school of engineering and offers a degree in mechanical engineering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Alaska
2,597 posts, read 2,285,649 times
Reputation: 4280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab4you26 View Post
Phlinak, thank you for that elaborate response. And yes, Iím set up pretty comfortably where Iím at (working full-time, in school, and taking flight lessons) but I also think life is short and it should be experienced to the fullest if given the opportunity, within realistic expectations of course. While the economy here is likely in better shape than that of Alaska, NS has taken extensive measures to cut costs. Morale is very low at our shop. People have quit because of it and how weíve been treated lately. Work schedules are more restrictive. Management doesnít know how to run the place and is constantly looking for reasons to get people in trouble and potentially fire people. In fact, in the almost 7 years Iíve been with NS, not much has gotten better but a lot has gotten worse.

Iím aware the cost of living is significantly higher, but the wages they pay for the job I applied for is an 18% increase over what I make now. The biggest concerns I have are crime as previously stated, definitely the economy which translates to job security, and weather - although I think I could get acclimated to the weather so thatís not a huge one for me.
Not to belabor the point but an 18% pay increase will not cover the increased cost of living here, by any means.

Just an FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2018, 08:44 AM
 
19 posts, read 8,157 times
Reputation: 19
It looks like UAA also offers flying for students, too.

You are right, Phlinak, the 18% increase won’t cover everything. I figured it up and it would cover majority of my rent (2/3 - 3/4). I’m unaware of what groceries,gas, and other amenities cost, though. I’m sure they’re much higher in AK.

They called me Friday. They’re doing interviews next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2018, 02:06 AM
 
6,079 posts, read 2,498,198 times
Reputation: 3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab4you26 View Post
Phlinak, thank you for that elaborate response. And yes, Iím set up pretty comfortably where Iím at (working full-time, in school, and taking flight lessons) but I also think life is short and it should be experienced to the fullest if given the opportunity, within realistic expectations of course. While the economy here is likely in better shape than that of Alaska, NS has taken extensive measures to cut costs. Morale is very low at our shop. People have quit because of it and how weíve been treated lately. Work schedules are more restrictive. Management doesnít know how to run the place and is constantly looking for reasons to get people in trouble and potentially fire people. In fact, in the almost 7 years Iíve been with NS, not much has gotten better but a lot has gotten worse.

Iím aware the cost of living is significantly higher, but the wages they pay for the job I applied for is an 18% increase over what I make now. The biggest concerns I have are crime as previously stated, definitely the economy which translates to job security, and weather - although I think I could get acclimated to the weather so thatís not a huge one for me.
Job security is non existent, if they are willing to give you a 5 year employment contract with no termination clauses that would help. You mentioned flying, make sure you have your A&P (preferably your IA) before you come up as itís very expensive to do anything aviation related up here if you have to hire tgat stuff out. There are very few airports up here and they are very expensive.

I you have your own plane and your IA and all your own equ and can secure hangar space before you come up then you will be ok.

Crime is bad because our unemployment rate is through the roof, prettt sure it is well into double digit unemployment.

People might scoff at this advice but i would ask for an employment contract and make sure it has no clauses that allow you to be let go for any reason (other than felonyís or drugs etc). You need to protect yourself and you donít want to be stuck up here 2 months in and get the ďIím sorry itís not working out lectureĒ

Being forced to move back down having only collected a few months of pay would be a bad deal and itís becoming the status quo up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2018, 02:11 AM
 
6,079 posts, read 2,498,198 times
Reputation: 3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
I got a degree in Aerospace and Ocean Engineering. I'm a Civil PE in the state of Alaska and currently work for an environmental consultant. In between graduating college and now I've also worked for a plumbing company, a DC "beltway bandit," cleaned jets, and fixed aircraft propellers. Not exactly a straight forward career path but, hey, keeps life interesting.


UAA does have a school of engineering and offers a degree in mechanical engineering.
Uaa has some hidden gem professors in mathematics and EE, I love the UAA engineering program, I just wish they would roll out an msece program.

I did not think there was anywhere up here certified to fix props thatís cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top