U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 02:15 AM

6,067 posts, read 2,495,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab4you26 View Post
It looks like UAA also offers flying for students, too.

You are right, Phlinak, the 18% increase wonít cover everything. I figured it up and it would cover majority of my rent (2/3 - 3/4). Iím unaware of what groceries,gas, and other amenities cost, though. Iím sure theyíre much higher in AK.

They called me Friday. Theyíre doing interviews next week.
They do but itís steep, and weather is an issue up here, I recommend people do the 1-2 week private pilot programs in Arizona and be done with it. So much screwing around with weather up here itís really agracvating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 09:29 PM

5,842 posts, read 6,028,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Job security is non existent, if they are willing to give you a 5 year employment contract with no termination clauses that would help. You mentioned flying, make sure you have your A&P (preferably your IA) before you come up as itís very expensive to do anything aviation related up here if you have to hire tgat stuff out. There are very few airports up here and they are very expensive.

I you have your own plane and your IA and all your own equ and can secure hangar space before you come up then you will be ok.

Crime is bad because our unemployment rate is through the roof, prettt sure it is well into double digit unemployment.

People might scoff at this advice but i would ask for an employment contract and make sure it has no clauses that allow you to be let go for any reason (other than felonyís or drugs etc). You need to protect yourself and you donít want to be stuck up here 2 months in and get the ďIím sorry itís not working out lectureĒ

Being forced to move back down having only collected a few months of pay would be a bad deal and itís becoming the status quo up here.
I could be wrong but I don't see the state being willing to agree to an employment contract. The position with the Alaska Railroad is probably a union position. Thus the last hired will be the first to go if things continue to tank.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
I could be wrong but I don't see the state being willing to agree to an employment contract. The position with the Alaska Railroad is probably a union position. Thus the last hired will be the first to go if things continue to tank.
Then I would not come up. I suppose if they were willing to pay for a full relocation package and relocate back if he is laid off, but then he still has the issue of having to find a new job back home if that happens since he will have to quit his current job to do this.

To much risk to not cover yourself with a contact. Alaska market is SATURATED right now.

As jobs get harder and harder to come by people are going to start requiring legal assurances (ie contracts without lay off clauses) to protect their family. If they are smart, once people and their families start feeling the sting of long term unemployment they will be less willing to jump ship once they find a good job without a contract in place.

I hope that people have incurred enough pain to start modifying their behavior. Accepting at-will employment is foolish unless you are already unemployed.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:23 AM

278 posts, read 120,735 times
I've never worked anywhere that would agree to not lay you off. I've never heard of anyone in my circle of friends get such a deal. In fact, most places have a 60 or 90 day probation period where they can easily show you the door if things aren't working out. As for not moving up if you can't get an unreasonable contract - life is full of risks and sometimes you just need to go for it.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
I've never worked anywhere that would agree to not lay you off. I've never heard of anyone in my circle of friends get such a deal. In fact, most places have a 60 or 90 day probation period where they can easily show you the door if things aren't working out. As for not moving up if you can't get an unreasonable contract - life is full of risks and sometimes you just need to go for it.
Thats just my opinion. I suppose the circumstances of an allowable lay off could be negotiated, if you pop hot for certain drugs, come to work work drunk, dont show up at all, etc. But just, opps, we screwed up with our staffing and so we are going to wreck your life, um no thanks. I would also not give them an out for "performance" as that is subjective and they can use that to mask a staffing screw up. Only drugs and no show for an entire day, otherwise I would tell them to find another sucker.

In the case of Alaska right now, I would say the stakes are high, if he is shown the door the odds of him being able to line up new work in a timely manner up here is slim to none, if he has no support network or family up here (or a massive bank account) then he is screwed.

If we were in a boom and he could walk right into another GOOD job the next week then I would agree with you.

Unless the OP has some kind of burning desire to come up here at all costs, I would say stay put and wait till things improve drasticly. I have had state jobs tell me straight up the market is grossly saturated, great for the hand ful of employers that are hiring, sucky for everyone else. Coming up here is not a very good risk reward equation in my opinion.

Or something where if they let you go they have to pay your past employer to take you back so that you are not SOL.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:57 PM

1,941 posts, read 1,688,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post

Right. The only employment contracts I'm familiar with include clauses that state that your contract can be terminated at any time if you violate it in any number of ways, or if market conditions change for the employer.

In my experience, employment contracts favor the employer, making it very difficult for the employee to leave before the contract term or work is completed, but allowing the employer to terminate the contract at any point for any number of real or fabricated reasons.

Basically, their lawyers went to fancier schools than your lawyer.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:43 AM

19 posts, read 8,145 times
I’ll try and shed some light on a few things. The mechanical supervisor called twice and asked if I was still interested and I said yes. They do interviews this coming Wednesday. I inquired about layoffs and job security and he informed me they haven’t done layoffs in awhile but they’ve lost about 20% of their workforce due to attrition and are struggling to get everything done. They are hiring 3 journeymen mechanics and this is the first position open, so if I took it I’d be 3 up in seniority. He also mentioned a wife of an employee wanted to move back to the lower 48 so one of his employees may leave. And lastly he said when work was very slow they offered people to take voluntary unpaid leave in order to avoid a layoff. I would likely keep my eyes open for a second job, too, until I felt secure there, but I also have an emergency fund. Part of the reason for me wanting to go is because I’m young and able and could recover a lot easier than if I was older and more settled. I don’t know what the future looks like for the economy up there but who knows. Everything could potentially line up perfect and work out well. If not I’ll have a backup plan. I want to be realistic with this though because this is a big decision.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:55 AM

19 posts, read 8,145 times
I’ll say this, too. There is more room for growth and learning at ARR. Their mechanics work on every aspect of the locomotives - engine, electrical, cooling, air, welding, etc. As a machinist for NS we primarily only deal with the engine side of things.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:50 AM

5,865 posts, read 3,144,350 times
See you up here shortly!

Old 04-14-2018, 10:19 AM

278 posts, read 120,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab4you26 View Post
Iíll try and shed some light on a few things. The mechanical supervisor called twice and asked if I was still interested and I said yes. They do interviews this coming Wednesday. I inquired about layoffs and job security and he informed me they havenít done layoffs in awhile but theyíve lost about 20% of their workforce due to attrition and are struggling to get everything done. They are hiring 3 journeymen mechanics and this is the first position open, so if I took it Iíd be 3 up in seniority. He also mentioned a wife of an employee wanted to move back to the lower 48 so one of his employees may leave. And lastly he said when work was very slow they offered people to take voluntary unpaid leave in order to avoid a layoff. I would likely keep my eyes open for a second job, too, until I felt secure there, but I also have an emergency fund. Part of the reason for me wanting to go is because Iím young and able and could recover a lot easier than if I was older and more settled. I donít know what the future looks like for the economy up there but who knows. Everything could potentially line up perfect and work out well. If not Iíll have a backup plan. I want to be realistic with this though because this is a big decision.
That backs up what I thought in my first response. The railroad has laid off people in the last few years as the amount of freight that they haul declined. However, they appear to have bottomed out. Summer is busier up here so if they did more layoffs, it likely wouldn't be until next fall. By then, you would have a good idea of other options or if you even wanted to stay in Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska