U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 02:48 PM

20,419 posts, read 26,544,024 times

Advertisements

Can you do a rotation job? Somewhere like Niblack? Might not be ideal but at least you'd be in state (and I heard the money is okay); that seems to be important to you.

Don't blame you for not wanting to flip burgers; I'm sure you know that Alaska is like a small town in many ways, and you're right that putting on a paper hat would damage your professional cred. Not sure why you're thinking I would advocate that route. I doubt that you could even get hired to flip burgers -- before you consider that an insult and run with it, it really isn't. It just means that fast food hiring managers would consider a professional person a bad risk; you'd be gone as soon as a real job came along.

You are whining, btw. There's a difference between "hard negotiating" and being completely unrealistic. You might actually have to leave Alaska, and while it's clear that you really don't want to do that, you'd be far from the first person in your industry to have to make the move to where the grass is greener.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-19-2018 at 03:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 07:45 PM

6,067 posts, read 2,495,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Can you do a rotation job? Somewhere like Niblack? Might not be ideal but at least you'd be in state (and I heard the money is okay); that seems to be important to you.

Don't blame you for not wanting to flip burgers; I'm sure you know that Alaska is like a small town in many ways, and you're right that putting on a paper hat would damage your professional cred. Not sure why you're thinking I would advocate that route. I doubt that you could even get hired to flip burgers -- before you consider that an insult and run with it, it really isn't. It just means that fast food hiring managers would consider a professional person a bad risk; you'd be gone as soon as a real job came along.

You are whining, btw. There's a difference between "hard negotiating" and being completely unrealistic. You might actually have to leave Alaska, and while it's clear that you really don't want to do that, you'd be far from the first person in your industry to have to make the move to where the grass is greener.
We have decided not to do rotational work, i could have stayed in oil and gas and done a 2 and 2 on the slope, but being away from my wife for 2 weeks every 2 weeks does not really work for us. I dont need to make alot of money, we would be fine if I made ~20/hr working a 9-5 in anchorage. I still have like a year before we run out of money and my wife makes good money, that is the real curx for us is if we did leave I would have to be making BIG money to off set the money she would loose from leaving her job and I would have to have legally binding assurances (which is not common in an at-will nation) but I also cant put my family in huge risk as my wife is in a very good position in telecom, its kind of a catch 22.

I have been applying for technician jobs and other jobs outside of engineering just not clown dog howdy jobs, I could work in a warehouse or a fab shop, etc. Took my A&P practical and have to go back and redue that but hopefully that will be a cert I can add fairly soon.

I dont think that asking for a contract as an out of state person to walk into a completely tanked economy for a lone rouge job is unrealistic, the rail road has to realize this is a massive risk to any candidate because if they are ever shown the door for any reason they will be unemployed in a tanked economy and responsible for themselves to get out of here (which is very expensive if you have accumulated things like a truck, snowmachine, etc), maybe if they offered a round trip relocation package in the event of a lay off they pay for him to get out of here, shipping his stuff and a plane ticket, buying out a lease, etc (is that whining?). And even if it was unrealistic its still not whining, because being unrealistic is subjective. IF someone was crying that the employer had to agree to it or they were going to pout then thats whining, simply shurgging your shoulders and saying sorry we could not come to an agreement is FAR from whining, that is a professional buisness negotiation, if the 2 parties are to far apart then no deal is had.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:02 AM

19 posts, read 8,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Cab, I think you will be successful up here. You have the Alaskan mentality. Good luck, and seriously, if you need someone to check something out for you, let me know. We will be in the Valley around July permanently and I wouldn't mind checking a place or vehicle out for you.
Haolejohn, I really appreciate that. If they offer me the job I imagine theyíll want me up there before July, but weíll see. Maybe we will cross paths.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:11 AM

19 posts, read 8,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
We have decided not to do rotational work, i could have stayed in oil and gas and done a 2 and 2 on the slope, but being away from my wife for 2 weeks every 2 weeks does not really work for us. I dont need to make alot of money, we would be fine if I made ~20/hr working a 9-5 in anchorage. I still have like a year before we run out of money and my wife makes good money, that is the real curx for us is if we did leave I would have to be making BIG money to off set the money she would loose from leaving her job and I would have to have legally binding assurances (which is not common in an at-will nation) but I also cant put my family in huge risk as my wife is in a very good position in telecom, its kind of a catch 22.

I have been applying for technician jobs and other jobs outside of engineering just not clown dog howdy jobs, I could work in a warehouse or a fab shop, etc. Took my A&P practical and have to go back and redue that but hopefully that will be a cert I can add fairly soon.

I dont think that asking for a contract as an out of state person to walk into a completely tanked economy for a lone rouge job is unrealistic, the rail road has to realize this is a massive risk to any candidate because if they are ever shown the door for any reason they will be unemployed in a tanked economy and responsible for themselves to get out of here (which is very expensive if you have accumulated things like a truck, snowmachine, etc), maybe if they offered a round trip relocation package in the event of a lay off they pay for him to get out of here, shipping his stuff and a plane ticket, buying out a lease, etc (is that whining?). And even if it was unrealistic its still not whining, because being unrealistic is subjective. IF someone was crying that the employer had to agree to it or they were going to pout then thats whining, simply shurgging your shoulders and saying sorry we could not come to an agreement is FAR from whining, that is a professional buisness negotiation, if the 2 parties are to far apart then no deal is had.
I donít think those are realistic things to ask for. Lots of places offer things like that. In fact, UP is offering $10-20k hiring bonuses in some locations. I did actually ask about a contract despite knowing it wouldnít happen. Itís really just not possible with a seniority-based job. They told me they couldnít help with relocation either. I understand why and itís ultimately not a deciding factor for me.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab4you26 View Post
I donít think those are realistic things to ask for. Lots of places offer things like that. In fact, UP is offering $10-20k hiring bonuses in some locations. I did actually ask about a contract despite knowing it wouldnít happen. Itís really just not possible with a seniority-based job. They told me they couldnít help with relocation either. I understand why and itís ultimately not a deciding factor for me.
So just make sure you have enough savings, might be worth it to buy a truck down there and drive it up. In fact anything you might want (big ticket stuff) up here I would suggest driving up as the prices seem to be inflated up here.

Also see if you can find a place to stay before you get up here too. If you are going to do this I would come up now, the weather is already summer and typically late april and may is the best weather, later June/July is when the rain comes. Should be really easy to find a month to month appartment in case the rail road flakes you can just leave.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:34 PM

20,419 posts, read 26,544,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Oh, ok. I somehow had the impression you were on your last slice of pizza and sip of beer. Sounds like you're willing to do what it takes to stay in Alaska.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:40 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,169,296 times
Quote:
Oh, ok. I somehow had the impression you were on your last slice of pizza and sip of beer. Sounds like you're willing to do what it takes to stay in Alaska.
exactly. Now the real Pitts is coming out. He still has some saving saved up.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:20 PM

278 posts, read 120,735 times
Pitts has been going on and on about massive layoffs and no oil and gas jobs to be seen. A couple of times I was going to counter with the fact that all but one of the people I know in oil and gas are still working. Nearly all of them do the 2/3 weeks on and off rotations. Seems disingenuous to tell new comers to this site that there aren't any jobs to be had in the state when you are out of work simply because you refuse to accept the standard terms for working in your chosen industry.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Pitts has been going on and on about massive layoffs and no oil and gas jobs to be seen. A couple of times I was going to counter with the fact that all but one of the people I know in oil and gas are still working. Nearly all of them do the 2/3 weeks on and off rotations. Seems disingenuous to tell new comers to this site that there aren't any jobs to be had in the state when you are out of work simply because you refuse to accept the standard terms for working in your chosen industry.
The only time that I require an employment contract is if I already have a good job (such is the case for the OP), why leave a good job where you may have seniority, have managers and friends that protect you, etc for a job where you are the last in first out without some kind of legal protection (in the absence of a personal network of protection)?

Rotational work is not super common for engineers thats why each respective oil company has anchorage offices (and rotational work is not a "normal job", it is a life style choice that CAN have dramatic impacts on family life), just because your circle may have a lot of rotators does not make it normal. There are some rotating engineers but its less and less these days because an engineer does not need to be next to the equipment to do their jobs. In my past job we had one rotating position (2 people) whose sole job it was to chase down information for a whole team of engineers and sometimes they got bored because as engineers we only periodically need field data and the rest of our time is spent doing analysis. They used to send engineers up on flights every time something was needed but that got really costly and is a huge waste of time.

I dont know who you know but the only people that were mostly unaffected by the mass lay offs were facility operators, the operators who physically run the plants (especially the senior ones) pretty much have a job for life unless the company sells the asset. But if you were a contractor of any kind or someone in town (especially in projects) your job was on the chopping block. Contractors got hit bad, that's where 90% of the lay offs occurred. I will again reiterate, being a facility operator is a full blown life style choice, you are away from family for at least 2 weeks at a time which is not healthy for a lot of families (lots of divorces happen due to this sort of bizarre work schedule). I love my wife and have no desire to put her through some kind of kooky rotational work.

So yes there are SOME jobs if you want to live in a dirty man camp, tents or other remote locations for a large part of the year being bounced around to God knows where. If you want a regular job in town with normal to pseudo normal working hours its alot harder. Being that the OP is coming from a state where this is not a "thing" it could be a rude awakening. I know the rail road does this too, you could be "stationed" as if you are in the military lol in some place thats not Anchorage in the middle of nowhere. For a young single guy that might be kinda cool for a very brief period (go fishing in the midnight sun, etc etc) of time, until you want to you know find a wife and live in a real house instead of a shack in the middle of nowhere. Then when it rains for a month straight, there is no where to go to socialize and nothing to do ..... you get the point.

Rotational and remote site work is not normal and many people dont want to do it. I also have friends that love the rotational life and the travel it affords but they also have VERY alternative romantic relationships that most people would not want. These people are not doing this rotational work because they need a job they are doing it because that is who they are and that is their life style. So no its not disingenuous. Also, now days even rotational work is getting harder to find, easier than town work but not as easy as it used to be.

Last edited by pittsflyer; 04-20-2018 at 05:41 PM..

Old 04-20-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I can keep the home brewed beer and costco pizza going for a LONG time lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska